• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SURVEY: Japan or Singapore to be the 18th Super Rugby Team?

bakakumon

Academy Player
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
Hong Kong
86319e59-9569-4378-8876-bd670df994f7.jpg

In 2016, Super Rugby is growing to 18 teams with the re-introduction of the Kings in South Africa, a new team based in Argentina and a new team based in either Japan or Singapore.

As SANZAR reviews the bids from each party, we are seeking fan input on where you would like to see the 18th team based and what you think they will bring to the competition as Super Rugby expands into a bold and exciting new era!

The new team from Japan or Singapore will play in the South African Group in the opposing conference to Argentina's team.

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/news/survey-japan-or-singapore/

i think it will be one japanese club as i think they will have a team which will most likely be able to compete against the super 15 teams even though im not 100% sure on a Singapore team

What with them being a RWC host the natural progression is into a Japanese team.

I've voted for Singapore but thats with obvious bias. I reckon Japan will (perhaps should) win but I'd like to think a Singapore team wouldn't be as bad as people think. It wouldn't be too local though, theres a team in Hong Kong the Asia Pacific Dragons who if Singapore were to win would likely just relocate here.

The Singaporean team being selected would be a bit of a slap in the face to Japan wouldn't it?

Preferably you'd do both.

If I would ever be travelling to watch a match I'd prefer travelling to Japan and I'd assume Japan would be more likely as of now to put forward a competitive team.. so, I'd prefer Japan.

If I would ever be travelling to watch a match I'd prefer travelling to Japan and I'd assume Japan would be more likely as of now to put forward a competitive team.. so, I'd prefer Japan.

I think travel is the biggest mark against Japan, while it would be a great reason for fans the teams (particularly SA ones) would be really hurt by it, traveling to NZ is already trouble enough for SA teams.

Japan should be chosen because has bigger rugby tradition but I heard something that could tip the balance: The aerial connexion. Apparently Singapore has direct flights to SA and Japan don't. This is the only reason why Singapore can obtain the place.

I think travel is the biggest mark against Japan, while it would be a great reason for fans the teams (particularly SA ones) would be really hurt by it, traveling to NZ is already trouble enough for SA teams.

Japan should be chosen because has bigger rugby tradition but I heard something that could tip the balance: The aerial connexion. Apparently Singapore has direct flights to SA and Japan don't. This is the only reason why Singapore can obtain the place.

Very valid.

When I spoke about travel to Japan I meant myself; I'd love to visit Japan and watching a Stormers match there might just motivate me enough to actually pay the fortune to get there and travel a while.

Travel for the teams would be ridiculous I agree but it's ridiculous already no matter what to some extent.

There's also the weather factor - the thought of playing rugby in SE Asia makes me want to down a pint of water.

Singapore,because the commercial agreements among local companies and NZRU

The travel argument would be fine if Singapore was actually reasonably close to SA, it's still a long ****ing way away.

I'd go with Japan because they represent a massively bigger and more lucrative market and because you'd actually have a team with some local players.

Playing in Singapore will frankly be an embarrassment. The locals couldn't give a flying f### about rugby and most expats actually care more about soccer, so you'd almost definitely be watching games played in front of empty grounds. Add to that, the value of their market pales in comparison to Japan, so I can't see how it would help the TV deal.

But to be honest I think the expansion if a f###ing stupid idea and honestly can't understand why it's being forced on us... I know about the Southern Kings blah blah blah, but they're not a good enough justification for f###ing what has been the best incarnation of the competition to date by creating a ludicrous international conference system.

If anything, they ought to just screw Asia and put 3 teams in Argentina. At least that way they'd have a decent local professional footprint for the Pumas.

Last edited:
If anything, they ought to just screw Asia and put 3 teams in Argentina. At least that way they'd have a decent local professional footprint for the Pumas.

Relax, bud. First, Pampas XV will win the Super Rugby in the next years, and then, only then, SANZAR must add more Argie teams :D

Paradoxically, I don't agree with the extension. On one hand I'm happy that we have our first franchise 100% professional. But while I have fear that this change destroys the best rugby club championship

Relax, bud. First, Pampas XV will win the Super Rugby in the next years, and then, only then, SANZAR must add more Argie teams :D

Paradoxically, I don't agree with the extension. On one hand I'm happy that we have our first franchise 100% professional. But while I have fear that this change destroys the best rugby club championship

The expansion is ridiculous frankly. It's driven purely by domestic politics in South Africa... That said, for greater symmetry I would have preferred it if they just gave Argentina 2 or 3 teams. That would have made more sense to me, as it would have ensured the SA-Arg conference and NZ-Aus conference matches could all be played at mutually view-able time slots. It would have increased the amount of viewer friendly content and helped build Argentinian rugby.

The travel argument would be fine if Singapore was actually reasonably close to SA, it's still a long ****ing way away.

Closer than NZ and Aus though.

I'd go with Japan because they represent a massively bigger and more lucrative market and because you'd actually have a team with some local players. True

Playing in Singapore will frankly be an embarrassment. The locals couldn't give a flying f### about rugby and most expats actually care more about soccer, so you'd almost definitely be watching games played in front of empty grounds. Add to that, the value of their market pales in comparison to Japan, so I can't see how it would help the TV deal.

Rugby is more popular than you might imagine here, firstly in terms of locals the majority of the private schools have rugby as their number one sport while I know its not most of the locals its better than none. I would also say that with expats it may be the more popular sport, come down to my club on a saturday morning from anytime between 9-12/1pm and you will find hundreds of kids and their parents.Not sure if they would be played in front of empty crowds, the SCC 7s every year draws in a big crowd and the World Club 10s in june had a crowd of 10,000.

But to be honest I think the expansion if a f###ing stupid idea and honestly can't understand why it's being forced on us... I know about the Southern Kings blah blah blah, but they're not a good enough justification for f###ing what has been the best incarnation of the competition to date by creating a ludicrous international conference system.

100% agree

100% agree

Last edited:
Is it? Perth is in Australia, and I'd be surprised if the flight from Jo'berg to Singapore was shorter than the one to perth

Singapore would definitely be closer to Jo'berg, its on the way to perth, in fact they're in the same timezone.

I was about to say, is it not more about communications... logistically i'd have thought SA to Singapore was easier and better connected than SA to alcatraz....er, i mean Australia.

Singapore would definitely be closer to Jo'berg, its on the way to perth, in fact they're in the same timezone.

Just checked the flight times - Perth is about a 30 minute shorter flight.

Either way, I suppose the point clearly stands that it's still f##king retarded having Singapore considered for the South African conference. I mean FFS, why don't we put a Chinese team in there with them while we're at it?

Latest posts