• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SuperRugby: Hurricanes v Sharks. 06/04/2012

brilliant from the canes, man barrett is good. comintary were talking about how he wasn't taking on the line and I thought - that's because he's not an idiot - he's not going to go barrelling into the defence of a South african team in the first 30-35min of the game. he picks his time and usally waits till late in a half or until the ideal opportunity arrises and sure enough it did. and what a run it was.

Much smarter game from the canes in the 2nd half, holding posession and they defended well. Lowe did have a good game, he and Lam are a menace and tireless on defence.

Great win for the canes, as long as things are not to bad on the injury front I think this will give them a great shot in the arm

I think I have to adopt the Canes, blues (mostly their lack of coaching) are driving me insane

for sure Savea is in awesome form but it's true he does have some issues on defence, but IMO so does Hosea gear. I think I'd pick savea for an All Blacks squad over gear simply because Gears only going to be injury cover anyway and Savea is an ideal candidate to devalop for 2015

Strangely I agree. Hosea Gear in my mind should be the All Blacks starting wing, but at 28 he's not going to get a long run in the All Blacks. Savea has looked good (I think he's been the most improved player of the season). I can't remember any player so consistantly bumping players off since Jonah Lomu. He'd be a great player to develop (and if he continues with his current form without dipping, I think it shouldn't hurt his confidence). Andre Taylor has also convinced me he should get a shot. Brilliant run after brilliant run after brilliant try after brilliant game. Barrett, Savea and Taylor all should get a shot this year (and the games against Ireland would be ideal to test them out).

yeah Taylor's been mind blowing good. But he's got competiton as well, ben smith has been just as good and has been for a couple of years

Huge amount of compteition for all black selection so far this year the most interesting thing is not so much of it is coming from the Blues and Crusaders...

Sure Jackson was poor and killed our momentum at times

Not sure what you are seeing there.

I thought Glen Jackson was very, very good tonight, in allowing the game to flow. I don't think that the Sharks can have any complaints at all about the way he officiated. They gave away a heap of ball in their own half, and thereby placed themselves under a lot of pressure.

Jackson's Law application was very good, his game management was very good and his judgement of materiality and when to apply it was excellent. I would give him at least an 8½/10 for tonight's performance.

He is one of those rare referees who has a real feel for the game and an empathy with the players, and what they are trying to do. He is only in his first year of top level refereeing (ITM CUp last year) and he has already been selected in the iRB "B" Panel for the Junior World Cup later this year (not picked by POB by the way!). If he continues to progress at this rate, he'll be doing Tier 1 test matches by 2013, and is a shoe in for the RWC in 2015.

Competition for the outside backs will be very interesting for the All Blacks...

Jane, Dagg, Ben Smith are all basically guaranteed I think, barring injury. I think there'll probably be a couple of utility type players in the squad too, as Kahui may be 'filling in' on the wing, Barrett could fit that role. That leaves, maybe space for another outside back. Depending on how Smith is used, that player could be Taylor, or a more dedicated, typical wing - e.g. Savea, Gear, Nanai-Williams.

Wow, great game for the Canes, they needed this boost. Andre Taylor surely has to have a foot in for the All Blacks, the man looks like the most deadly attacking fullback in the game ATM. Makes a break with almost every touch, now put him in an All Black environment where the space will be created for him and BOOM!..

The Sharks dissapointed me tonight, I don't know why they stuck with their original game plan for as long as they did which was try to run the ball from their tryline/22m and out muscle the Canes. They failed to do it so many times and just put themselves under pressure. Mvovo was very absent this game and that's the man the Sharks needed to inject into the game. Their decision making when taking penalties was poor as well. Giving up the early points to push for a try, then when they're under the pump they take the three with 20 to go?... Quick taps from the 22m and then an open field kick within the final 15minutes?.. I don't know where their mindsets were at tonight.

Barrett won't make the ABs until he sorts his defense out, fell off a lot of tackles tonight and has done all season. Commentators never pick up on it though

I thought Glen Jackson was very, very good tonight, in allowing the game to flow. I don't think that the Sharks can have any complaints at all about the way he officiated. They gave away a heap of ball in their own half, and thereby placed themselves under a lot of pressure.

Jackson's Law application was very good, his game management was very good and his judgement of materiality and when to apply it was excellent. I would give him at least an 8½/10 for tonight's performance.

He is one of those rare referees who has a real feel for the game and an empathy with the players, and what they are trying to do. He is only in his first year of top level refereeing (ITM CUp last year) and he has already been selected in the iRB "B" Panel for the Junior World Cup later this year (not picked by POB by the way!). If he continues to progress at this rate, he'll be doing Tier 1 test matches by 2013, and is a shoe in for the RWC in 2015.

I felt he let the Hurricanes get away with a bit. They piled in the rucks at times and left their feet, often uncalled.

Who would be our best bet to replace Plumtree. Please don't say Mallett or Kirwan, because I have heard them linked to every club that needs a coach for the past 6 months.

Another great performance from a young Canes side... Clearly the restructuring has payed off for them.

Barrett, Taylor, Savea, Perenara and Bateman all have the look of future All Blacks about them but competition for places this year will be absolutely intense with the Crusaders back line all looking to be capped...

Harsh as it is to say, Slade's injury has put Barrett third in line for the 10 shirt in NZ. Couple of good performances he might even be able to bolt the 21 shirt from Cruden.

I felt he let the Hurricanes get away with a bit. They piled in the rucks at times and left their feet, often uncalled.

Who would be our best bet to replace Plumtree. Please don't say Mallett or Kirwan, because I have heard them linked to every club that needs a coach for the past 6 months.

Who knows, but I would like him to be South African.

Yeah, but remember the Law doesn't say you have to stay on your feet as an absolute. It is all about intent.

[TEXTAREA]16.3 RUCKING
(a) Players in a ruck must endeavour to stay on their feet.
Sanction: Penalty kick
(b) A player must not intentionally fall or kneel in a ruck. This is dangerous play.
Sanction: Penalty kick
(c) A player must not intentionally collapse a ruck. This is dangerous play.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/TEXTAREA]

The referee has to decide whether the players are going off their feet because they are hitting the rucks hard enough so that their opponents are not defending adequately against them, or if they are doing so in order to (illegally) turn the ball over, seal off to protect their own ball, or deliberately slow opposition's ball down. He also has to judge whether the player going off their feet has any material effect on play; penalising a player who goes to ground on the blindside of a ruck when the ball is emerging on the openside, would be considered something of a jobsworth.

Essentially, the referee has to judge the fine line between players unintentionally going to ground because they have breakdown superiority, and a team who have breakdown superiority because they are intentionally going to ground. He has only fractions of a second to make that judgement, and he has to make this judgement 200-250 times in a game. It ain't as easy as you might think.

Last edited:
Just finished watching this game on my Sky Plus recording. I thought the Hurricanes got away with a few things as has been talked about in this forum but reading Smartcooky post it's cleared up a few things i was going bring up.

Moving on to Reds vs Brumbies before heading to bed.

I concur wholeheartedly. Definitely a balance - and with the first try I feel he couldn't not award it. Regardless of whether he did though, the Canes were simply better than the Sharks on this day.

John Mitchell? Seeing as he is going to be out of a job next year with the Lions being dropped from S15 rugby in favor of the Kings.

Time they get a SA coach.
Sharks lack motivation, one game good and the next they suck.
Cheetahs to pass them on the log soon

The sharks didn't want to win this one. Agree there were some questioning calls by the ref, but it didn't cost them the match.

Personally I think they lack a leader and a new coach perhaps.

This inconcictancy in their play is not a new thing. They play like this for the past number of years.

I just read they don't employ a defensive coach, shocking

I'm not so sure the coach is to blame. Sharks are just missing too many tackles.
Their set-pieces are fine.
They have shown they can score tries.
They have improved at the breakdown.

Their half-backs sometimes makes dumb decisions but that's no different from the unbeaten Stormers.
They just need to learn how to tackle.

[TABLE="class: tablel, width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[/TR]
[TR="class: r1, bgcolor: #F4DC64"]
[TD]1. Willem Alberts (Sharks)[/TD]
[TD="class: ar"]23[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: r0, bgcolor: #F5EAB0"]
[TD]2. Beauden Barrett (Hurricanes)[/TD]
[TD="class: ar"]22[/TD]
[/TR]