Super Rugby Team of the Tournament

SomeOke

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I thought it would be fun to make a team of the tournament from 1-15 (or 16 - 23), technically a week early I know but I don't want the playoffs to necessarily have too much weight. My team:

1. Steven Kitsoff (Beast was also good, many good young props in NZ and Aus but for me not at his level)
2. Malcom Marx (yep.)
3. Taniela Tupou (Huge in the scrum and in the loose, a huge part of a mini-resurgence for the reds)
4. Scott Barret (Immense season for him, RG Snyman and Mostert were both good but for me not as impactful)
5. Brodie Retallick (yep.)
6. Michael Hooper (6 here means open side, I know numbering differs, he didn't have the best season but I think openside was a bit of a weak position all around this year, Pocock didn't play enough games for me, Todd was close)
7. Jean luc du Preez (Just for having the biggest impact for his team, Sharks with JLDP were a different animal to Sharks without, tempted to give this to Akira but he largely played 8, Matera close for me too).
8. Amanaki Mafi (Akira and him were both IMMENSE for their respective teams but Akira had a small slump before the international window and I don't think Mafi had a bad game, pity he's going to jail).
9. Genia (Perenara was injured for large portions and not THAT dominant this year, Smith was great but no 9 took the game by the scruff of the neck like Genia did this year)
10. Richie Mo (pure class, Sanchez, Beuden, Rob DP all were pretty great but Richie was next level)
11. Emiliano Boffelli (What a talent, huge fast, great boot, he started the year strong and never really stopped, very hard to give it to him over Alaimano and Ioane but I kind of want to give a spot to a Jag)
12. Ryan Crotty (Tough competition here, Beale was huge, as was Esterhuizen and Thompson but Crotty for all round game and reliability, Michael little gets a shout out too)
13. Anton Lienert Brown (Again a tough choice, Am and Kriel were huge for their franchises but ALB just a little too consistent to beat, Goodhue was solid but had a quieter season than last year)
14. Taqele Nairavoro (I know he has flaws but damn. This guy was an absolute freak this year, Delguy gets an honourable mention and Bridge was also huge but this guy broke people and it made me happy)
15. Izzy Falau (Great player, crap person, Gelant had a good year, as did Bosch, Smith and Jordie but Izzy is sadly just too good).

Thoughts?

Call me crazy, but i like Pollard at 10.
And i wouldn't put Boffelli at 11. Not even at gun point. I admit he is quite good on offence, but even then i don't think he is the best at that, and on defense he is very bad.

To be honest, I could compromise a bit on every positoin other than 2 or 9. I agree with Marx and Genia for those.

EDIT; for some reason i missed a part.

Last edited:
Marx/Brodie/Mafi/Genia/Richie Mo/Izzy Folau for me are nailed on and very hard to argue with.

1. I'd ditch ALB for Goodhue or even Thompson to be honest. I find ALB to be completely underwhelming. But i suspect that's not a popular opinion.
  2. I'd also switch Taqele with Lam. Basically the same player but Lam has more gas and scored 1 more try (15 v 16 tries scored).
  3. I'd also ditch Mafi. He's immense but he burns out after 40 and goes missing. Akira all day. That he isn't an All Black yet is insane.
To be honest, you could trot out that front row and the 9/10 combo and it would be enough to beat most teams.

No Ioane at 11?? He was outstanding for the Blues and had some great performances for them even though the team was poor again this year.

No Ioane at 11?? He was outstanding for the Blues and had some great performances for them even though the team was poor again this year.
He is probably the best 11 in the competition, I justified my selection because he didn't actually play much wing this year, and also wanted to add a Jag.

As for Derpus I don't rate Lam, this year's Aso for me, a very good finisher but not a great player. Mafi can definitely go quiet but so can Akira, Thompson almost took the 13 spot for me, but they mostly player Walden at 13 and Thompson at 12 from what I could remember.

He is probably the best 11 in the competition, I justified my selection because he didn't actually play much wing this year, and also wanted to add a Jag.

As for Derpus I don't rate Lam, this year's Aso for me, a very good finisher but not a great player. Mafi can definitely go quiet but so can Akira, Thompson almost took the 13 spot for me, but they mostly player Walden at 13 and Thompson at 12 from what I could remember.

Fair enough. I think Jesse Kriel needs and honourable mention at 13. He was one of the standout 13's this season.

It's actually a pity many guys played different positions this year as it did probably muddied the pool with regards to selections.

Yeah Kriel was very impressive, always rated him based on his raw physical attributes and talent, and he's still really young.
He's unfortunate that there is a player of colour in his position also vying for the spot, I feel like he's been slightly better than Am and also has more experience at top level, but what can you do.

Latest posts