• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby play-offs: Reds - Sharks in Brisbane (21/07/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby%202012%20play-offs.png

Lang Park, Brisbane
Reds.png
Versus%20Super.png
Sharks.png

Referee: TBA

The Reds surprised everyone by winning the Australian conference on the final day with the Brumbies losing without getting even a losing bonus-point. The Reds jumped from 7th to 3rd and will have a home play-off when they host the Sharks. The Sharks defeated the Cheetahs by 34-15 scoring 4 tries and without conceding even 1. Earlier this season the Reds traveled to Durban and lost by giving away a 17-0 lead, only to lose 27-22. Quade Cooper is uncertain due to a possible suspension. Can the Reds make the semi-finals and continue the quest to retain their ***le or will the Sharks win a play-off match for the first time since 2007?

The Reds surprised everyone by winning the Australian conference on the final day with the Brumbies losing without getting even a losing bonus-point. The Reds jumped from 7th to 3rd and will have a home play-off when they host the Sharks. The Sharks defeated the Cheetahs by 34-15 scoring 4 tries and without conceding even 1. Earlier this season the Reds traveled to Durban and lost by giving away a 17-0 lead, only to lose 27-22. Quade Cooper is uncertain due to a possible suspension. Can the Reds make the semi-finals and continue the quest to retain their ***le or will the Sharks win a play-off match for the first time since 2007?

The didn't surprise me - I had money on them winning the Aussie conference (at 20:1 odds), so I am a rich man now :)

Anyways this will be a very interesting match. I would have backed the Sharks to beat the Brumbies, but I'm not really sure who to pick now - I will have to wait until I see the two teams named until I make my prediction!

It depends if Quade is playing or not.

Will be very interesting to see what happens, I think it will either be 1 week or nothing, Berrick ducked into it slightly, the fact that he didn't get up possibly made it look worse, I'd imagine they will argue the fact that he has quite a history of concussion and what not. If he does get off I think they will be too good for the sharks at home as they appear to be looking pretty good all round for the first time this season. If he doesn't play it won't be the end of the world as they have coped without him for much of the season and can manage okay without him and the game is still at suncorp which has become somewhat of a fortress for them. Interesting times ahead though.

Well that's a shame. I was looking forward to seeing more of Steyn - he's one of my favourite players.

On the other hand, this means Chiefs are more likely to face Reds, which I would prefer to Bulls or Crusaders. I'm hoping for a payback for their loss in Round 12.

Last edited:
If our inside backs are McLeod, Michalak, Bosman I won't even bother watching.
Add the possibility of Sykes featuring in the 22...

Best possible line-up for the Sharks would be this:

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Jandre Marais
5. Anton Bresler
6. Keegan Daniel
7. Marcell Coetzee
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Cobus Reinach
10.Frederic Michalak
11.Lwazi Mvovo
12.Tim Whitehead
13.Paul Jordaan
14.JP Pietersen
15.Louis Ludik

16.Craig Burden
17.Wiehahn Herbst
18.Willem Alberts
19.Jacques Botes
20.Charl McLeod
21.Meyer Bosman
22.Odwa Ndungane

Viljoen for Ndungane and I agree.

I think we will see this, changes with respect to your 22, Eze:
1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Steven Sykes
5. Anton Bresler
6. Keegan Daniel
7. Marcell Coetzee
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Charl McLeod
10.Frederic Michalak
11.Lwazi Mvovo
12.Tim Whitehead
13.Paul Jordaan
14.JP Pietersen
15.Louis Ludik

16.Craig Burden
17.Wiehahn Herbst
18.Jan Andre Marais
19.Jacques Botes
20.Willem Alberts
21.Meyer Bosman
22.Odwa Ndungane

It would have been really bad if Steyn had been allowed to play for the Sharks but not Sinclair for the Stormers in the play offs.

This is a very tough one to call, Reds being at home is an advantage for them and they have been on a roll as of late I have them by 2 on the Superbru, but could easily see this going either way. Especially since the Reds play in the weaker Australian conference which makes it harder to compare the two teams records.

Reds will win this one I think.
Crusaders will take the Bulls.

Don't know who plays who after that?

This will be that one or two occasions that I will be supporting the Bulls. They can shock the Crusaders.

I agree with the Reds having the edge at home. It's some bullshit though IMO with the Sharks deserving to be higher on the log. But it is what it is and each nation is assured at least 1 play-off hosting.

I have to admit that I'm really hoping the Sharks take this one as I would much rather see the Stormers face a Sharks team that had traveled to Brisbane and back than the Crusaders at their fortress of Newlands. That said, its about time we get that particular monkey off our backs.

It would be awesome if we had 3 SA teams in the semi's next week...

The Sharks have the edge IMO even without Lambie and Steyn. if their forwards play like they did against the Bulls, no team will stop them...

Our pack needs to bring their a-game, easy as that. The only question is whether to start Kanko (dry weather) or Alberts (wet pitch). I prefer Kanko starting with Alberts having the enforcer-role off the bench.

Our pack needs to bring their a-game, easy as that. The only question is whether to start Kanko (dry weather) or Alberts (wet pitch). I prefer Kanko starting with Alberts having the enforcer-role off the bench.

Weather to be fine all week, Will be a very interesting game now quade is out, I think he adds a lot more than just playmaking, they seem to be more composed when he is playing for some reason. I still think they will do it as benny lucas will be FH and he was when they beat the chiefs and they were solid.

Latest posts