• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby play-offs: Chiefs - Crusaders in Hamilton (28/07/2012)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby%202012%20play-offs.png

Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
Chiefs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Crusaders.png

Referee: Craig Joubert
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan
Referee: Keith Brown
Referee: Garratt Williamson

It kind of annoys me that it has come to this. I would have preferred Chiefs vs Stormers and Sharks vs Crusaders or something along those lines. These are fixtures we have seen twice this season already. Where as the Stormers and Chiefs haven't even played each other yet it looks like they won't be able to because I see Crusaders stomping the Chiefs like last time.

This season:

Stormers 15-12 Sharks in round 2
Crusaders 19-24 Chiefs in round 3
Sharks 25-20 Stormers in round 14
Chiefs 21-28 Crusaders in round 17

Other head-to-head matches of the 4 remaining teams:

Crusaders 31-24 Stormers in round 8
Sharks 12-18 Chiefs in round 9

Stormers and Chiefs didn't meet each other this year, neither did the Crusaders and Sharks

Yeah, I agree with Rymer, that it's a shame that the Sharks v Crusaders and Stormers v Chiefs, but I guess at least this way we are guaranteed a NZ v SA final. I guess I've got to go with my Crusaders in this one, but wouldn't be that upset if the result went the other way, as the Chiefs have played a pretty goodbrand of Rugby this year, and deserve to be there ... I just feel that the Crusaders may have a better chance of beating the Stormers at home, if it comes to that

It kind of annoys me that it has come to this. I would have preferred Chiefs vs Stormers and Sharks vs Crusaders or something along those lines. These are fixtures we have seen twice this season already. Where as the Stormers and Chiefs haven't even played each other yet it looks like they won't be able to because I see Crusaders stomping the Chiefs like last time.

The teams themselves are the only ones to blame.. They knew what they had to do to achieve this possibility and they couldn't...

Read is out

A big blow for the Crusaders again - hopefully he will be back for the final if the Crusaders make it that far. I can't imagine there will be many changes in the Crusaders team - they may well pick the same 22 that ran out against the Bulls. It is possible that Ben Franks may be included in the starting lineup in place of Crockett, but personally I'd stick with Crockett starting. The only other change that the may consider is the inclusion of Maitland in the starting lineup - either as a straight swap for Adam Whitelock, or for Fruean, with Whitelock moving to centre. Though it would seem a bit strange dropping Fruean, I think it is a genuine possibility. Fruean has been very quiet over the later half of the season, and while he was solid enough on defense against the Bulls, he wasn't really tested much (and will surely be more severely tested by the Chiefs).

The strange thing about the Chiefs is that despite having such an impressive season it is really hard to identify what their top XV is. This is probably due to the fact they have so many players performing this season, meaning competition for spots is very intense. I'd expect Tameifuna to start at 3, but there are tight calls at LH prop and hooker. I'd go for Schwalger and Smith, but we could well see Elliot and/or Taumalolo starting. I think the bench prop is going to be important - if Ben Afeaki is fit I'd have him on the bench. The Chiefs scrum was under huge pressure from the Hurricanes scrum when Tameifuna went off against them (meaning Smith moved to TH prop) - if the scrum got hammered by the Canes imagine what the Crusaders scrum will do to them! Though Afeaki isn't as much of an impact player as either Smith or Taumalolo, I don't think the Chiefs can afford to have a weak scrum against the Crusaders. If the starting LH prop has to go off one of Afeaki or Tameifuna would have to pack on the LH side - while neither has that much experience there, I'd be more confident with one of those two at LH rather than Smith at TH....

The locks and 2/3 loose-forwards pick themselves, with the only selection issue being who will start at 7. Though Latimer has had a very good year (and Cane is good at making an impact from the bench) I'd be inclined to start Cane at 7, as I think they will really need the extra physicality that he brings against a Crusaders side that was incredibly physical against the Bulls. 9, 10 and 12 pick themselves, and I'd stick with Willison at 13, though there is the possibility of picking Horrell there. There are plenty of options in the outside backs - personally I'd go 11. Nanai-Williams, 14. Masaga, 15. Horrell, but Tikoirotuma and/or Robinson may be given the nod.

Can't wait for this match, should be a cracker!

Last edited:
kinda gutted, was hoping this would be the final.

Going to be really interesting to see what chiefs team is named.

Elliot or Mo at hooker? Mo is such a powerful guy but lately I'm been seeing him give away some silly penalties (which for me gives the #1 spot to Hika, so close between them) and I hope for Hika's All Black chances he gets a start. All Black coaches will only have he Flynn and McDonald to look at in the finals series as far as hookers go.

Cane or Latimer to start? I think they need to keep going with Lat's he's tried and true this season. Bring Cane on if whoever is selected at #8 is not performing (messam to 8), I don't think Kane Thomson has been at his best the last couple of games.

Toby Smith or Sona? in my view Toby Smith has to start the extra power in the scrum is vital against the crusaders. Also going to be interesting to see if Afeaki is involved, he should be back from injury (head knock). Tameafuna I think is sure to start at 3. I think overall he got the best of the franks brothers last time they played, he really is a pretty special player, I don't think even Owen franks impressed as much as he has at this young age.

13 - 15 is anyone's guess. Pretty unsettled area, Horrell is sure to start but will it be 13 or 15? he's performed very well in both positions/any position this year and Defended Fruen very well in the last crusaders encounter. But he's also maybe the best option at 15. Wings in particular are anyones guess. i think Masanga for right wing and a coin toss on the other side between Nanai and Tiko but Robinson may be in the mix as well. If I were coach I'd look at how they are training and see if I could see who wanted it more.

I predict a big game from SBW, he's had a massive workload this year but he's had a couple of weeks rest and he will want to leave NZ on a high note - these next 1-2 games will be his last as a chief and he will want to make the most of it and bury the daemons of mucking up the try that was missed in the last game.

Such a shame Kahui is out, I know he would shine in this game. He has an ability to lift when he wants to, just pushes a button and picks his momments. He doesn't do it every week, keeps it in reserve. Chiefs will miss this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGNZssC_eCs

Chiefs will look at the last game and ignoring the shocker TMO call which cost them the game the slow start was the main shortcoming they can control. they need to have shaken off the bye cobwebs from the opening whistle.

Good news is the three really bad TMO calls which were made in the lead up to the playoffs the officials who made them will have been suspended from taking part in these playoffs. Last thing the chiefs need is a bad call costing them three games in a row.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for:
1 Smith
2 Elliot
3 Taumeifuna
4 Clarke
5 Retalick
6 Latimer
7 Cane
8 Messam
9 Kerr-Barlow
10 Cruden
11 Nanai-Williams
12 SBW
13 Willison
14 Masaga
15 Horrell

And a bench of Schwalger, Afeaki, Fitzgerald, Thompson/Bradley, Leonard, Horrell, Tikoirotuma

I'm hoping for:
1 Smith
2 Elliot
3 Taumeifuna
4 Clarke
5 Retalick
6 Latimer
7 Cane
8 Messam

9 Kerr-Barlow
10 Cruden
11 Nanai-Williams
12 SBW
13 Willison
14 Masaga
15 Horrell

And a bench of Schwalger, Afeaki, Fitzgerald, Thompson/Bradley, Leonard, Horrell, Tikoirotuma

Throughout most of the season I would have agreed with you that would be the Chiefs best loose-trio, but as the season has progressed I'm not sure anymore. I have no doubt that these are the best three loose-forwards, or even that they would be the best loose-forward combination, but I'm not sure that they would be the best loose-forward combination for the Chiefs game plan. The Chiefs game plan has revolved a lot around their play in the tight - though they have a good tight-five I wouldn't have said that they were an outstanding combination, yet they have matched it with almost every pack they have faced this season. I think one of the major reasons for this is that they have effectively been playing 6 tight-forwards - though Thomson is playing 8, he is far more comfortable as a lock (and still plays like a lock). Though I think the Chiefs would be more effective in the loose with a Latimer, Cane, Messam trio, I just wonder whether they would be as good in tight, which has been a highlight of their play this season.

Yeah it's a toughie. Remember that the Crusaders loosies are all 7s at heart, so I figured it would be better to try counter that.

Sorry for hijacking the topic. But it seems Kane Thompson is leaving the Chiefs. Where is he going to?

You notice it on Facebook too? :p Yeah I hadn't heard anything till now...

The Chiefs being the underdogs in this one despite playing at home, and given all they've accomplished this year in that tough as hell conference of theirs has got to make them a little more fired up than they would be already.

The Cheifs have played some nice rugby this season, but lost there last two outings. The Crusaders have had a couple of slip ups, but have been quietly going about their business and I have a feeling they might just squeeze this one.

I see the Saders are favourites with the TAB for this one despite finishing behind the Chiefs in the regular season and playing away from home.

Must admit to being a little worried as a Sader supporter, Chiefs have been playing some beautiful rugby and can really put teams away if given half a chance.
I do wonder about the Chiefs lack of experience in these type of games compared to the likes of the Saders. Young guys like TKB will be under immense pressure and it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Read is a loss but McCaw has really stepped up and looks like the 2nd best 8 in the world right now. And I think M Todd has been one of the Saders best over the last couple of weeks. The battle of the backrow will be huge, interested to see what combination the Chiefs put out for this one, I would have thought Lats would be better off running on with Cane coming off the bench.

Crusaders to take it by 8

I see the Saders are favourites with the TAB for this one despite finishing behind the Chiefs in the regular season and playing away from home.

Must admit to being a little worried as a Sader supporter, Chiefs have been playing some beautiful rugby and can really put teams away if given half a chance.
I do wonder about the Chiefs lack of experience in these type of games compared to the likes of the Saders. Young guys like TKB will be under immense pressure and it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Read is a loss but McCaw has really stepped up and looks like the 2nd best 8 in the world right now. And I think M Todd has been one of the Saders best over the last couple of weeks. The battle of the backrow will be huge, interested to see what combination the Chiefs put out for this one, I would have thought Lats would be better off running on with Cane coming off the bench.

Crusaders to take it by 8

Wouldn't go that far! He's played well, but #8 is still arguably his worst position in the loose forwards.

Crusaders team named:

Wyatt Crockett, Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Samuel Whitelock, George Whitelock, Matt Todd, Richie McCaw (c), Andy Ellis, Dan Carter (vc), Zac Guildford, Ryan Crotty, Robbie Fruean, Adam Whitelock, Israel Dagg.
Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Owen Franks, Tom Donnelly, Luke Whitelock, Willi Heinz, Tom Taylor, Sean Maitland.

One change from last week, with Ben Franks replacing his brother Owen. Can't say I agree with the change. While I can understand the Crusaders rotating there top three props throughout the season, in a knock-out game you need to start your best 15, and there is no doubt that Owen Franks is a better TH prop than his brother!

The Chiefs side is set to be named this afternoon.

I don't think the chiefs deserve to be clear underdogs on form. their last two losses were arguably only because of two bad TMO decisions. Luckly those TMO's wont be taking part in the finals because of those calls.

only reason I have the Chiefs as underdogs is because of the Crusaders experience and history when it comes to playoff games.

I think the chiefs will win if they start well, they gave the crusaders a poor starting 10-15 min last time really hurt them but they showed they had the ability to come back and make up the deficit they had and were even the better team for much of the rest of the game.

Renee needs to use his bench too, bring Leonard on with 20min to go not 5min to go even 10min is not much time. few scrums and a kick at goal and the best part of 10min is gone.

Latest posts