• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super rugby pecking order

There will always be 1 South African team and 1 Australian team in the playoffs due to the Conference Leader rule for automatic qualification.

I think the point here was more that the Jaguares could top the South African log and then a second Australian team would top the second SA team, meaning there would be no SA based teams in the qualifiers. Personally I don't see this happening, the Lions are too far ahead of the Rebels at this point, to catch up the Rebels would have to play monumentally well, having to likely win 4 of their final five games, which includes playing the Waratahs, Highlanders, Blues and Reds. The Lions have three games left, all local derbies, and one would back them to win two out of three out of playing the Sharks, Bulls and Stormers.

There will always be 1 South African team and 1 Australian team in the playoffs due to the Conference Leader rule for automatic qualification.
Ah no. If jaguars and wolves make it thru with rest being populated with NZ teams then aus and sa will miss out

Ah no. If jaguars and wolves make it thru with rest being populated with NZ teams then aus and sa will miss out
The Wolves? Something's not right with how you believe the playoffs are decided. It's the top three from each pool and the best of the rest (totalling 8 teams).
Edit: I see you were speaking hypothetically, I thought you were referencing this season.

Reassessing things, there is undoubtedly going to be one SA team in the playoffs. For there not to be, either the Blues or Reds have to reach around 40 points at least (another 22 points for them), given that they have gotten 18 in 11 games, it's highly unlikely they will get more than that in less than half the amount of games.

The Wolves? Something's not right with how you believe the playoffs are decided. It's the top three from each pool and the best of the rest (totalling 8 teams).
U said " There will always be 1 South African team and 1 Australian team in the playoffs due to the Conference Leader rule for automatic qualification."
I'm just pointing out that conceivably that might not happen

U said " There will always be 1 South African team and 1 Australian team in the playoffs due to the Conference Leader rule for automatic qualification."
I'm just pointing out that conceivably that might not happen

No he didn't...

At the moment it stands like this in my opinion:

Favorites: Crusaders / Hurricanes

Outside Shots: Lions / Highlanders

Dark Horses: Sharks / Jaguares / Chiefs / Waratahs

I'd like to give the Bulls the Dark Horse tag, but in all likelihood they are going to have to play a Kiwi team away if they do make the play-offs, and I can't see them winning that sadly, in contrast to the Sharks who I think can beat anyone, anywhere on a specific day if the stars align.

I can't see the Rebels winning three big games in a row in a play-off situation.

At the moment it stands like this in my opinion:

Favorites: Crusaders / Hurricanes

Outside Shots: Lions / Highlanders

Dark Horses: Sharks / Jaguares / Chiefs / Waratahs

I'd like to give the Bulls the Dark Horse tag, but in all likelihood they are going to have to play a Kiwi team away if they do make the play-offs, and I can't see them winning that sadly, in contrast to the Sharks who I think can beat anyone, anywhere on a specific day if the stars align.

I can't see the Rebels winning three big games in a row in a play-off situation.

You should remove the Bulls from the list. We won't make it. Our young guys just doesn't have it in them yet to play so well all season, and I think we might only get 1 or 2 more wins if any...

The South Africans seem to have suddenly developed a disease which causes them to be rubbish at rugby!. However I think after the results this week, the top 8 as it currently stands will be Quarter-finalists.

I think if the Chiefs can get a few more players back from injury (and keep Ngatai in the midfield) they could seriously make a play for the championship. Cane, Ardron, Boshier and Laulala should all be back in the next couple of weeks, which will really help with their biggest issue at the moment - depth on the bench for the forwards.

Otherwise, you'd have to think either the Hurricanes or the Crusaders will take the crown, depending on who finishes top of the log.

I think if the Chiefs can get a few more players back from injury (and keep Ngatai in the midfield) they could seriously make a play for the championship.
agree. the more ngatai gets his hands on the ball the better. would like to see him in first receiver more often

Not exactly relevant to the current season, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sun Wolves win the Australian conference within the next two years. They seem like they are a step up this season, compared to last, and Australian rugby will need a bit of time to get back to being a force ( perhaps I shouldn't mention "force" :) ) in super rugby

Not exactly relevant to the current season, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sun Wolves win the Australian conference within the next two years.
i've said that the wolves are lightyears ahead of the rebels and force were at the same time. pretty sure it was a couple of seasons before force or rebels won a game. wolves beat an NZ team alot sooner than the rest of the aus conference.

i've said that the wolves are lightyears ahead of the rebels and force were at the same time. pretty sure it was a couple of seasons before force or rebels won a game. wolves beat an NZ team alot sooner than the rest of the aus conference.

Yes, interesting to compare the approaches of the Wolves to the Jaguares; both are the sole representative for their country in the competition. The Pumas players essentially have to play for the Jaguares to be selected for national honors, and the fatigue factor must be enormous. I'm not sure that the Japanese have the same restriction, but the idea of rotating the personal through the Wolves playing side, playing along side of experienced expats from various nations, seems sound to me in terms of player development, while it has probably cost them in terms of results on the paddock.

I think the Sunwolves could become even stronger if they manage to make a better type of deal with Japan Rugby Union, and the Japanese League and coaches. They could have a think tank of coaches like Jake White and Frans Ludeke to assist the Sunwolves and maybe do better deals with the Clubs of having players playing for them the whole season. Take Lappies Labuschagne as an example. He played up to end of April and then couldn't play for them anymore due to his contract, and he was one of their best players.

The Jaguares on the other hand, I can see a problem in the future, especially because of their rule that only players playing in Argentina can qualify to play for the National team. So what's going to happen is that basically only Jaguares players will be eligible to play for the Pumas. Now while the Jaguares might become stronger at Super Rugby level as they are basically a national team playing in a domestic league, their National team will end up suffering...

Pumas are suffering already from exhaustion. We play the same guys all year. They will change the rule for RWC for sure. I think we are going to be a 2 year team. This will be great, next too then we lose players to EU, new ones come, we lose a season or two till they get to SR standard then up again.

As for SW, if they dont put nationals in SR to train them they will field a weak Japan team....unless they "nationalize" some foreigners(more).

Latest posts