• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby: Crusaders - Hurricanes in Christchurch (30/06/2012)

Now what I'm about to suggest is purely based on what I know of Conrad Smith. Neither Tom Taylor nor Zac Guildford would have stopped Conrad Smith from scoring that try not even to save their lives.. The only thing Taylor or Guildford could have done was hang on to Smith as he dived over for the try. Now, the rules do say that is obstruction, and I agree, but do you honestly believe that Lawrences decision [or lack of] not to make a call on it was the reason he scored? NO!, Conrad Smith was going to score that try regardless

First off, let me say that the Hurricanes deserved to win, and frankly, it would have been a bit of a travesty had Bleyendaal been successful with that final kick.

Suggesting that Conrad Smith would have scored anyway is, again, pure speculation. We don't know that for sure, though we might suspect it....YMMV

But I repeat, the only thing we absolutely know for sure is that try, as it was scored, should have been disallowed....end of.

When that happens, the game changes at that point, and everything that happens after that is on a different timeline. This sort of speculation ****** me off as much as the BS we hear when a goal-kicker misses, say three penalty goals and his side loses by 8 points. Up pop the idiot fans (and unfortunately some media jocks who ought to know better) with the old chestnut "but Team A would have won if Joe Bloggs had kicked those goals".... No, no, no!!!!

As soon as Mr Bloggs misses the first kick, the game restarts in a different way and in a different place to the way it would have started had he been successful. The game will unfold in a different way, and additionally, teams play the game differently depending on the "state" of the game

Soooooooooooo....

The question now is... How many more chances will they give to Bryce Lawrence?? It's just piling up against him... I say get rid of the ******* and let Smartcooky have a go!

Crusaders get a bp, Canes get 4 putting them back in contention just above the Sharks. A win win situation for both teams. Like Bleydendaal was ever going to kick that over

Crusaders get a bp, Canes get 4 putting them back in contention just above the Sharks. A win win situation for both teams. Like Bleydendaal was ever going to kick that over

Yeah, I'm sure the Crusaders decided to throw away any chance they had of getting a home semi-final, and indeed put themselves at risk of not making the playoffs altogether on the off chance that the Hurricanes may make the playoffs :rolleyes:

Soooooooooooo....

The question now is... How many more chances will they give to Bryce Lawrence?? It's just piling up against him... I say get rid of the ******* and let Smartcooky have a go!

Too old and too slow heineken (that me I mean). If they ever bring in refereeing by remote video link, I'll be in!!

Bryce has been dropped by the iRB, and TBH, I can't see him ever getting back in again. I think his days are numbered as a SR referee.

Can you imagine Western Province throwing a match to Natal or Northern Transvaal so that they could make the play-offs in the CC? I don't think so!!!

The Americans have a saying.... "Never give a sucker an even break"... and it applies here

Last edited:
First off, let me say that the Hurricanes deserved to win, and frankly, it would have been a bit of a travesty had Bleyendaal been successful with that final kick.

Suggesting that Conrad Smith would have scored anyway is, again, pure speculation. We don't know that for sure, though we might suspect it....YMMV

But I repeat, the only thing we absolutely know for sure is that try, as it was scored, should have been disallowed....end of.

When that happens, the game changes at that point, and everything that happens after that is on a different timeline. This sort of speculation ****** me off as much as the BS we hear when a goal-kicker misses, say three penalty goals and his side loses by 8 points. Up pop the idiot fans (and unfortunately some media jocks who ought to know better) with the old chestnut "but Team A would have won if Joe Bloggs had kicked those goals".... No, no, no!!!!

As soon as Mr Bloggs misses the first kick, the game restarts in a different way and in a different place to the way it would have started had he been successful. The game will unfold in a different way, and additionally, teams play the game differently depending on the "state" of the game

Good reply with insight, a lot of us are guilty of this

Thank you, absolutely agree

Too old and too slow heineken (that me I mean). If they ever bring in refereeing by remote video link, I'll be in!!Bryce has been dropped by the iRB, and TBH, I can't see him ever getting back in again. I think his days are numbered as a SR referee.Can you imagine Western Province throwing a match to Natal or Northern Transvaal so that they could make the play-offs in the CC? I don't think so!!!The Americans have a saying.... "Never give a sucker an even break"... and it applies here
Yes I can. We did it once for the Bulls who needed 75 points. That huge kick in not so favorable conditions sealed it for me. Rugging GoodStats had the its chances of 25 percent. What a waste it was. Btw that try of Smith. Who passed the ball to Smith?

Soooooooooooo....

Unfortunately Lawrence seems to have supporters in the SANZAR and NZRU hierarchies.
For some reason O'Brien and Bray seem incapable of recognising just how bad the guy really is.

This performance must have been particularly bad because even the NZ media have picked up on it (something that has not happened much in the past).
Perhaps because it was the beloved Crusaders who suffered?
Or am I being cynical?

Unfortunately Lawrence seems to have supporters in the SANZAR and NZRU hierarchies.
For some reason O'Brien and Bray seem incapable of recognising just how bad the guy really is.

This performance must have been particularly bad because even the NZ media have picked up on it (something that has not happened much in the past).
Perhaps because it was the beloved Crusaders who suffered?
Or am I being cynical?

Yep and misinformed.

No one in New Zealand especially likes Bryce Lawrence including our media. For the past couple of years he's not really been rated and New Zealand teams are often cost matches against others because Lawrence tends to be much stricter in the name of being unbias. The IRB also did pick up on his poor performances, which is why Bryce Lawrence has been dropped from the international panel. Paddy O'Brien is now High Performance Manager for the Sevens series, so he can't really be blamed for anything...

I don't know if more people in New Zealand wanted the Cane's or Saders to win, but I'd imagine more would want the Canes as it gives another New Zealand team a shot at making the play-offs (although the suggestion that the Crusaders threw the game is very stupid, especially considering the Crusaders will suffer for the loss). In actual fact there were a number of very harsh calls against the Canes. The Hurricanes had momentum and Bryce Lawrence got in the way of the ball runner. We retained the ball but Lawrence ruled scrum (something we'd been killed in every single time). Sure enough there was a scrum, Crusaders got a penalty which luckily missed, but had it gone over it would have almost certainly been the end for the Canes.

Did he not get the award for best ref in NZ last year?
What a absolute joke by the NZ administration

If the Crusaders ever threw a game it was against the Rebels, not this one against the Hurricanes
Same for Sharks against the Lions, conspiracy theorists having a field day...

Latest posts