• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Bulls vs Sharks. Loftus Versfeld (24/2/2012, 17:10 GMT)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Super Rugby.png

Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria (24/2/2012, 17:10 GMT)
Bulls.png
Versus Super.png
Sharks.png

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan
AR1: Pro Legoete
AR2 : Tiaan Jonker
TMO : Gerrie Coetzee

I can't wait until the end of the week! We put on some good performances at Loftus last year, hopefully we can go up another notch.
The team, save for second and back row, seems to be settled, although back three could go a few different ways.
I think Plum will go with this: Chadwick, du PlessisBW, du PlessisJN, Skeate, Sykes, Daniel, Coetzee, Kankowski; Michalak, Lambie, Mvovo, Bosman, Pietersen, Sithole, Viljoen.
Bench will depend on Sharks XV for Vodacom cup, but will probably have: Burden, Herbst, Bresler, du Toit/Botes, McLeod, Joubert, Ludik/Ndungane.

I can't wait until the end of the week! We put on some good performances at Loftus last year, hopefully we can go up another notch.
The team, save for second and back row, seems to be settled, although back three could go a few different ways.
I think Plum will go with this: Chadwick, du PlessisBW, du PlessisJN, Skeate, Sykes, Daniel, Coetzee, Kankowski; Michalak, Lambie, Mvovo, Bosman, Pietersen, Sithole, Viljoen.
Bench will depend on Sharks XV for Vodacom cup, but will probably have: Burden, Herbst, Bresler, du Toit/Botes, McLeod, Joubert, Ludik/Ndungane.

Looks like they would have a pretty dangerous backline! Do you think Michalak will start ahead of McLeod - I'm not a big fan of McLeod, but they seemed to persist with him a lot last season. I'm not familiar with Chadwick (or Herbst) - how do you think the scrum will go? Looking forward to seeing Coetzee starting at 7: I've heard a lot about him, but have seen very little of him.

I think they will go with Michalak, but it is a possibility McLeod will start due the halfback pairing that started this weekend. From what I can tell, Lambie is considered to be first and foremost a 10, and they will use him there if possible. With Viljoen at 15 we have a better attacking force than Ludik, which was probably the reason behind Lambie's switch their last year.

Chadwick hasn't really had an opportunity with Mtawarira and van Staden previously ahead of him, and the Bulls props are very good, so this will be a huge test for him. Herbst impressed me greatly last season, and I think he will do the job if called up. Redelinghuys is out as well, so Chadwick is literally our only out-and-out loosehead in the main squad fit. Our other option is to call up young Allan Dell. I haven't seen him play, but he has a good reputation.

Kankowski's form has not been very convincing of late, so it is a possibility that Coetzee is called to play there with either du Toit (normally a second row, but has done well on the flank) or Deysel/Alberts once fit. Mtembu and Daniel can also play eight, but I wouldn't call either of those situations very likely.

Sithole and Mvovo are both liabilities in defence, and I would really consider putting Ludik on one wing.

I think they will go with Michalak, but it is a possibility McLeod will start due the halfback pairing that started this weekend. From what I can tell, Lambie is considered to be first and foremost a 10, and they will use him there if possible. With Viljoen at 15 we have a better attacking force than Ludik, which was probably the reason behind Lambie's switch their last year.

Chadwick hasn't really had an opportunity with Mtawarira and van Staden previously ahead of him, and the Bulls props are very good, so this will be a huge test for him. Herbst impressed me greatly last season, and I think he will do the job if called up. Redelinghuys is out as well, so Chadwick is literally our only out-and-out loosehead in the main squad fit. Our other option is to call up young Allan Dell. I haven't seen him play, but he has a good reputation.

Kankowski's form has not been very convincing of late, so it is a possibility that Coetzee is called to play there with either du Toit (normally a second row, but has done well on the flank) or Deysel/Alberts once fit. Mtembu and Daniel can also play eight, but I wouldn't call either of those situations very likely.

Sithole and Mvovo are both liabilities in defence, and I would really consider putting Ludik on one wing.

Cheers for that. I agree that backline may struggle a bit on defense - Pieterson is a good defender, but is largely unfamiliar at centre, and as you mention Sithole and Mvovo are weak on defense, and I also thought Viljoen struggled on defense at times for the Cheetahs last season (though everyone at the Cheetahs seemed to struggle on defense).

BTW: Do you work for Dell? I see that you have put a sneaky little link to Dells website in your post ;)

Yeah, defence was Ludik's biggest asset. His biggest problem was our midfield was kak last year and he had to consistently cover over there.
Viljoen is a great attacker, and I think could do the job at 12 if Bosman and Whitehead aren't up to it. Bosman has bulked up since the Currie Cup and apparently has looked a different player, having JP outside him. One can only hope!

Not sure about the link, Darwin. I don't see advertisements so I can't comment.

Yeah, defence was Ludik's biggest asset. His biggest problem was our midfield was kak last year and he had to consistently cover over there.
Viljoen is a great attacker, and I think could do the job at 12 if Bosman and Whitehead aren't up to it. Bosman has bulked up since the Currie Cup and apparently has looked a different player, having JP outside him. One can only hope!

Not sure about the link, Darwin. I don't see advertisements so I can't comment.

Bosman is an interesting one - he looks to have some talent, but never seems to deliver. Maybe this will be his season.

Ah, I see that the link is only coming from my computer now - whenever the word Dell is written (even in my own posts) it links to their website! Hmm... sneaky Dell people....

It might be integrated ads on TRF, which link onto keywords.
Bosman's biggest problem was his centre partner, Stef, who would rarely be where he had to be in attack or defence. Bosman has shown his skills in tight games where midfield isn't a problem (Bulls 2011 CC) as there is no pressure on Terblanche, and in turn him. Hopefully Pietersen can help shore up defence and give Bosman some coverage to allow him to attack and have a defined area in defence. He is a big lad (1.92m, 100kg) and should be able to take at least two defenders out, same with Pietersen.

What a cracking game to start both these teams off this year!!

News reports last night confirmed that Dewald Potgieter will be out of action for 2 months after a freak accident at a wedding where he tried to open a window and the glass shattered on his arm...

So the most probable back row for the Bulls would be: Deon Stegman, CJ Stander and Pierre Spies.

PS. Can the moderators please reset the conference logs already!!!

Fiday night can't come too soon, this is going to be a cracker.
Difficult to call it, I'd go with the Sharks for a narrow victory, but Bulls can also take this one

That CJ Stander dude is one hell of a player, I would much rather have Potgieter there to be honest!

Looking forward to this game, Can't wait to see Viljoen in action for the Sharks.. I'd say Sharks by 10

I think they will go with Michalak, but it is a possibility McLeod will start due the halfback pairing that started this weekend.
The only reason McLeod started last week was because Michalak had a ban carried over from last season.
I personally don't rate McLeod as a starting scrum-half and he's service is shocking. Should be used as an impact player, if needed.

Nice of everyone picking the Sharks to win by more than 7...

looks like I'm the only one that thinks the Bulls will win this one...

Oh well! my wish for this game is that Francois Hougaard runs the Sharks ragged from the base of the rucks and scrums!!

Dammit, my 100 was supposed to be on the Bulls winning be less than seven, was looking at the odds rather than names.

Interesting that the odd makers rate the Bulls favourites.

Not that I necessarily think the Sharks are major favourites, Heinekin but you can't beat the odds the Sharks get at winning by 7+

Dammit, my 100 was supposed to be on the Bulls winning be less than seven, was looking at the odds rather than names.

Interesting that the odd makers rate the Bulls favourites.

Just to be clear, I only use the odds I find on betting websites so don't blame me ;)

Now that the Bulls play in pink....

1) One lucky season ticket holder will win a free make-over during half time of each match.
2) Fans will no longer be allowed to braai before kick-off, instead fondue stations will be available for snacks.
3) The beer tent will no longer sell beer, but a wide variety of fruity drinks will be available.
4) The dancing girls will be replaced by a French poodle parade.
5) The man of the match will not receive a trophy, but rather a subscription to House and Home magazine.
6) The yellow card area will not be referred to as the sin bin, but will now be known as the temper tantrum tank.
7) The stadium will change from the Bull-Ring to the Fairy Garden.
8) The new mascot will be Lady the French Poodle.
9) A booth will be provided to exchange those dangerous horned helmets for the more appropriate silk scarf.
10) Liefling will still be the unofficial song.

;)

Bulls (Super Rugby Caps in brackets)

Zane Kirchner (54), Akona Ndungane (67), Johann Sadie (7) , Francois Venter (0) , Bjorn Basson (25), Morne Steyn (89), Francois Hougaard (29), Pierre Spies (72, c), Jacques Potgieter (0) , Deon Stegmann (55), Juandre Kruger (0) , Flip van der Merwe (34), Werner Kruger (58), Chiliboy Ralepelle (35), Dean Greyling (15).

Replacements: Willie Wepener (40) , Frik Kirsten (2), Wilhelm Steenkamp (36), CJ Stander (0) , Jano Vermaak (62) , Louis Fouche (0) , JJ Engelbrecht (0) .

Latest posts