• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 12 trying to compete with the NRL

L

littleduck

Rugby Union at the Super 12 level should stop trying to adopt a League style pace of the game. Super 12 is trying to make inroads in the Australian market and compete with the speed and excitement of the NRL by offering an attack-oriented tryathon high scoring competition.

Clearly in terms of forwards Super 12 is not producing quality Test props to take it up to the forward-dominated northern hemisphere sides. The reason in my view is that Super 12 are trying to accomodate the League style forward who is fairly mobile and can offload. These players are effectively as useful as a used condom against the high standard of scrummaging needed to compete with the northern hemisphere teams. The current Wallaby tour (tour de farce) of the UK is proof that I'm right (as usual).

The solution in my view is simple. The Super 12 should reasses its core rugby values and place scrummaging and forward-play as a higher priority. Would this be more boring to the casual League observer? absolutely.. but who cares? The Wallabies need some big fat one dimensional forwards who can outscrummage his northern hemisphere couterparts.

If the ARU were serious, they would set up a national league similar to the Soccer One John O'Niell has just started up.

Originally posted by littleduck@Nov 26 2004, 11:41 PM
Clearly in terms of forwards Super 12 is not producing quality Test props to take it up to the forward-dominated northern hemisphere sides.
Perhaps you should watch the England - NZ clashes this year and watch the scrum. Hayman and Kees had the English props for breakfast.

Who else would the Super 12 compete with? Surely union and league appeal to similar fan bases, and they exist in the same territories in Australia.

Anyway, my semi-relevant point is that I love watching all Australian clashes, that pace of the game and excitement they have is great. I also like Australian-NZ clashes. This is why I didn't mind their extra team in the Super 12. My problem is with the extra South African Super 12 team. Anyway, I suppose that's another debate.

Yes but if we were to alter the Super 12 (14) to a more forward oriented game SANZAR would lose quite a bit of money. The reason why Super 12 does produce good crowds is because of its fast pace and try scoring nature. As Rips said Australia needs to some how come up with and 8 team competition like that of the NPC or Currie Cup.

Not that hard, just copy John O'Niells... minus the Team from NZ (You dont want to have a NZ Team running rampant in the ARU's Main Show now do you
<
)

Originally posted by Ripper@Nov 27 2004, 10:21 PM
Not that hard, just copy John O'Niells... minus the Team from NZ (You dont want to have a NZ Team running rampant in the ARU's Main Show now do you
<
)
Who are we supposed to send?

Originally posted by Wally@Nov 28 2004, 08:03 PM
Auckland is playing in the A-League. Is that what you mean?
Yeah sort of but he meant Aussie should have an A-League type comp for the rugby and he meant you would have to take the NZ team out because apparently they would win

Originally posted by Wally@Nov 28 2004, 10:04 PM
Depends what New Zealand team but it's most likely they'd tear us to shreds.
But if its during the NPC the team wont be very strong

They should just concentrate on doing up the original competitions in Queensland and New South Wales and then merge the two by 2006 into 8 teams, including 1 from the ACT, and then go from there. They have heaps of money and I say a great chunk of it should be poured into grass roots.

The need for a national club rugby comp in Oz is an entirely seperate issue.

The current attacking nature of S12 might be succesful in its own right... but my point is that its not producing enough quality test props to compete against the forward-oritented northern hemisphere teams. Scrummaging seems to be an afterthought in S12 whereas in the Zurich Premiership its the focus of every game.

Just watch the France v NZ test if you think that. Or any of the matches the ABs have played this year. What evidence do you have that the NH props are far more superior?

wtf makes u think super 12 produce **** props anyways is still rugby for f*** sakes

It is true that the Super 12 doesn't produce Test quality props. You think differently but you have the NPC which is probably alot more forward orientated.

Originally posted by Wally@Dec 1 2004, 09:51 PM
It is true that the Super 12 doesn't produce Test quality props. You think differently but you have the NPC which is probably alot more forward orientated.
yea could be, this years npc was alot better quality rugby than the super 12 this IMO

Latest posts