TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
SARU confirms Vodacom Super Rugby participation for 2013
The teams were confirmed after the General Meeting accepted a proposal first tabled by the Executive Council in January. The proposal was that: "The franchise occupying the lowest log position of the five franchises at the end of 2012 would be relegated."
MphoMbiyozo120213inactionG300.jpg

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/sup...ms_Vodacom_Super_Rugby_participation_for_2013

Looking at the Lions financial state wonder if they would have taken the money rather. Kings had huge financial backing and even throwing huge sums of money at players no one wanted to go there. I wonder why. Who want to move to a franchise where you play 16 games Super Rugby and the rest in devision 1 of the Currie Cup. Like trying to sign A top footballer to play in the Coca Cola league

Looking at the Lions financial state wonder if they would have taken the money rather. Kings had huge financial backing and even throwing huge sums of money at players no one wanted to go there. I wonder why. Who want to move to a franchise where you play 16 games Super Rugby and the rest in devision 1 of the Currie Cup. Like trying to sign A top footballer to play in the Coca Cola league

1 or 2?

That is one serious allegation, someone might get sued if this proves false. Sorry, might? I meant will deffo get sued.

This whole Kings-saga has been going on for too long. Cheeky and his son Puke are the cancer within the South African rugby environment. Before this whole fiasco, that has been going on for years, the region was part of the Sharks franchise. What was wrong with that?

The morons in PE should realize that the current format is settled for a period of 5 years (2 have passed so far). Once the current contracts finish, they will get their chance. How is it fair to kick the Lions out? If they have to make a distinction, just have a play-off game (home and away) between both teams. Or just have 1 match, hosted by the team who is currently out of the competition. I am sure every team will beat the Kings by a big margin. Hell, even the Griquas team would kick their asses.

cheaper payoff?

Why use an ugly word like "bribe"? Can't we just call it a "legal settlement"? It might sound like semantics, but the one is a crime and the other is quite above board. And I think it is the best solution. Just pay EP what it is due (on the basis of SARU having promised them something that is extremely difficult to deliver), and then they can wait until 2016.

I have a feeling that in 2016, when the current TV contracts run out, there's going to have to be a major realignment anyway. I say this because of SANZAR's public musings about expanding into new markets that would enhance SupeRugby's financial situation. USA and Japan were mentioned, Argentina was also brought up. I think a Japanese team makes a lot of sense. Japan is the world's 3rd largest economy, so it's attractive from the $ end. They also have a professional Rugby league from which a SupeRugby side could be formed. The USA has the $, but no pro Rugby League, and Rugby would face stiff competition from other full-contact team sports such as Gridiron Football and (Ice) Hockey. The USA also has an unwritten rule that anything that the French are better at than the Americans can't really be a sport ;) Argentina has the Rugby pedigree, especially after joining the Tri-Nations (which needs a new name by the way; anyone for "Quadrophenia"?):p, but doesn't bring much $ to the table.

Anyway, getting back to the Kings topic, the article cited at the top of the thread indicated that if the Kings did not take the $ and wait until '16, the most likely scenario would be relegation of the Lions. But isn't SARU/SANZAR likely to get sued by the Lions sponsors, coaching staff, players, and anyone else that made a contract with the Lions on the understanding that they would continue to be a SupeRugby team?

So I think in the end, the question boils down to who would be cheaper to settle with, Kings or Lions? (a possibility shovenose has already brought up)

(And I think the idea of bringing back the Cats is a nonstarter, as that would just throw 3 franchises into turmoil instead of just 2)

<s><o:p></o</s>

Kings in Super Rugby... That's 10 easy points for the other teams. No match at Ellis Park for the Sharks. From a Sharks point of view, it is not that bad but the whole thing is a giant fiasco.

What will happen to the Lions players? Sharks should try to snap up Cilliers and Jantjies.

Well they can't fair much worse than the Lions. Hopefully WPRU sign Pat Cilliers and Jaco Taute ASAP!!

Kings in Super Rugby... That's 10 easy points for the other teams. No match at Ellis Park for the Sharks. From a Sharks point of view, it is not that bad but the whole thing is a giant fiasco.

What will happen to the Lions players? Sharks should try to snap up Cilliers and Jantjies.

Jantjies? What the hell are the Sharks going to do with Jantjies. At least at WP he could start. He isn't a superstar but maybe he could get our backline firing. Pat Cilliers is the biggest item on my wishlist. Goodbye Brok!! A quality utility back like Taute would also come in handy.

Remember to tune in in Feb of 2013 for the Chevy Chase edition of the SA conference

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this is just typical SA Politics!!

I feel bad for the Lions fans, as the final decision is a slap in the face. Not only do the Kings get the right to play in the 2013 Super Rugby Tournament, but for the Lions to get back into the tournament, they will have to play the bottom ranked SA side at the end of the tournament. Why didn't the same happen to the Lions. Let them play a promotion/relegation match vs the Kings.

Oh well, wonder what will happen next??

I just hope the Bulls sign Taute and send Kirchner back to Griquas or the Kings...

At least the Blacks will shut up now... (insert sarcasm font)

Jantjies? What the hell are the Sharks going to do with Jantjies. At least at WP he could start. He isn't a superstar but maybe he could get our backline firing. Pat Cilliers is the biggest item on my wishlist. Goodbye Brok!! A quality utility back like Taute would also come in handy.

We don't have a back-up for Lambie. We need a fly-half to play for Natal in the Currie Cup. We don't need Taute since we have Ludik, Viljoen and Gouws to cover full-back. You guys can have Taute. I wonder if Strauss will move to Bloem.

We don't have a back-up for Lambie. We need a fly-half to play for Natal in the Currie Cup. We don't need Taute since we have Ludik, Viljoen and Gouws to cover full-back. You guys can have Taute. I wonder if Strauss will move to Bloem.

Strauss will move to Cape Town if he can as that is where his Girlfriend lives...

WP can use some loose forward depth. Deon van Rensburg should buy some lottery tickets. Moving to PE months ago to play Super Rugby next year.

Shame. Would have liked Strauss at Boem. Failing that a time machine and Juan Smith from 2007.

Prepare for some cricket scores next season! This was bound to happen eventually, but the way it happened is just wrong. I wonder how many Lions players will move to other franchises.

Prepare for some cricket scores next season! This was bound to happen eventually, but the way it happened is just wrong. I wonder how many Lions players will move to other franchises.

yip, but playing a soft team might make the other SA franchises a bit soft. Easy competition is not always a good thing. Then again, most of the 1st team players can rest, giving the younger guns a run. But then again its given points on offer...

Well, luckily they replace the weakest team and don't just join the 5 franchises. Otherwise there would be a lot of **** coming from NZ and OZ haha. No cock up at Ellis Park next year. That's nice.

I just heard that Demetri Catrakilis is the first player moving to EP after the announcement of joining the Super Rugby competition.

Southern Kings Boss Cheeky Watson has said that they will appeal the decision to include them for one year and press for a three year guarantee.

What a moron. I guess he knows that they will end dead last in the competition and will lose a play-off match against the Lions.

Well, luckily they replace the weakest team and don't just join the 5 franchises. Otherwise there would be a lot of **** coming from NZ and OZ haha. No cock up at Ellis Park next year. That's nice.

I just heard that Demetri Catrakilis is the first player moving to EP after the announcement of joining the Super Rugby competition.
No, there would be a lot of **** going to NZ and OZ haha... In the form of the SA franchises, to lose rugby games ;)

seems like a harsh way of removing the lions

im a bit light in my knowledge of springbok rugby
but is it the classic old farts running it? just like the north

Latest posts