• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SOLUTION: Rugby 08 crash on Startup

rs20jov

Academy Player
Hello, dear friends:

It is my pleasure to bring you the solution to the big problem of this fantastic game, after hours thinking about how to solve it. Today I will tell you how to solve the crash problem when trying to start Rugby 08. It is very simple, and you don't even need to go to the compatibility settings. Here it goes:

1. First, you will need to extract the file from the d3d8.zip attachment to the folder where you have the game installed.

2. You must download an application called DxWnd. Search for it on Sourceforge web and extract its contents to any folder.

3. You must open the program using dxwnd.exe and once opened, go to the "Options" menu and activate the "Extended mode" option.

4. They will go to the "Edit" menu and select the "Add" option. In "name", put the name of the game and in both "Path" and "Launch", select Rugby08.exe from the original folder.

step2.png

5. In the "Window initial position & size" section, you can enter the size of the game screen. If you want to play full screen, simply set your screen resolution. If not, a resolution smaller than that of your screen.

6. Activate "No banner" option in the "Main" tab, activate "modal" and "Anchored" option in the "Video" tab and "Set single core process affinity" option in the "Comp." tab.

step3.png

7. From DxWnd, run the game. Even if an error appears, the game can be played without problems.

step4.png

8. From the game, increase the details to the maximum and that's it. Enjoy!

?hash=226a926f43a874f19791f665ca1cc6f3.png

From DxWnd, there are many options that I will be testing in the coming days with DirectX to see which ones the game looks best with. This program should also work with the mods that are on the forum.

PS: Sorry if I made any mistakes writing this tutorial, English is not my language. 😉🙏

Attachments

• step5.png
    step5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • d3d8.zip
    30.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I tried this on my ROG ally without any success - any idea what I might need to change?

Hello, dear friends:

It is my pleasure to bring you the solution to the big problem of this fantastic game, after hours thinking about how to solve it. Today I will tell you how to solve the crash problem when trying to start Rugby 08. It is very simple, and you don't even need to go to the compatibility settings. Here it goes:

1. First, you will need to extract the file from the d3d8.zip attachment to the folder where you have the game installed.

2. You must download an application called DxWnd. Search for it on Sourceforge web and extract its contents to any folder.

3. You must open the program using dxwnd.exe and once opened, go to the "Options" menu and activate the "Extended mode" option.

4. They will go to the "Edit" menu and select the "Add" option. In "name", put the name of the game and in both "Path" and "Launch", select Rugby08.exe from the original folder.

View attachment 18312

5. In the "Window initial position & size" section, you can enter the size of the game screen. If you want to play full screen, simply set your screen resolution. If not, a resolution smaller than that of your screen.

6. Activate "No banner" option in the "Main" tab, activate "modal" and "Anchored" option in the "Video" tab and "Set single core process affinity" option in the "Comp." tab.

View attachment 18313

7. From DxWnd, run the game. Even if an error appears, the game can be played without problems.

View attachment 18314

View attachment 18316

From DxWnd, there are many options that I will be testing in the coming days with DirectX to see which ones the game looks best with. This program should also work with the mods that are on the forum.

PS: Sorry if I made any mistakes writing this tutorial, English is not my language. 😉🙏
Hi, I am new to the forums. Thanks so much for the tutorial. This unfortunately did not fix the issue for me.

However, I did enable the logs to see if I can decipher what might be going wrong.

Before I begin, I noticed that the "Proxy can not load dxwnd.dll library" error can be fixed by simply copying the "dxwnd.dll" file from the DxWnd folder into the game files folder. I think it automatically does this after the first run anyway.

In the logs I noticed some EXCEPTION warnings about hooks failing for hook=winmm.dll:<some_function>. I tried going into the DxWnd application and enabling the winmm proxy. After some troubleshooting & documentation reading, I noticed you need to unzip winmm.rar in the DxWnd/proxy/ folder. This did not fix my problem or resolve logs, but I think I am missing something here. I will post later if I find any solution to this.

Edit: Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the d3d8.dll file you attached is exactly the same as in the DxWnd folder. That step can be sidestepped by choosing the proxy in DxWnd application itself.

Hello, dear friends:

View attachment 18312

View attachment 18313

View attachment 18314

View attachment 18316

This worked for me once then when I went back to it later it wouldnt load.
Deleted and tried again 🙈