• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 2: Scotland vs France (11/02/2018)

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
Guess you Scots must still be nursing hang overs as this hasn't gone up yet.

Personally think Scotland are gonna go from zeroes to heroes. After a week long hard long look at ones self in the mirror, each of those boys are gonna come out with a totally different attitude. I would imagine it to be a basics first ferocity that will eventually translate to a couple of Scottish tries in the second half.

To be fair, France we're pretty tight against the Irish but I have seen a couple of Welsh absolute implosions in my time and they are always fantastic the following week. If these Scots are the athletes and competitors we hope them to be, they will be on another level of performance this weekend.

Scotland: Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour, Huw Jones, Pete Horne, Sean Maitland, Finn Russell, Greig Laidlaw; Gordon Reid, Stuart McInally, Simon Berghan, Grant Gilchrist, Jonny Gray, John Barclay (capt), Hamish Watson, Ryan Wilson.

Replacements: Scott Lawson, Jamie Bhatti, Jon Welsh, Ben Toolis, David Denton, Ali Price, Chris Harris, Blair Kinghorn.

Going through the changes:

Berghan would have been selected over Welsh last week had it not been for the ban. Should be better in the loose.
Never rated Toolis but I think that might just be because of his hair.
Wilson adds a bit of aggression to the pack, which is where our problems came from against Wales - halfbacks shat themselves but they couldn't have saved the game. Remain to be convinced that we had anyone in the 8 shirt last week.
Assume the hope is Greig will calm Finn. Price fits with our game plan and I think it's an overreaction to drop him.
Horne will also take pressure off Russell and allows Jones to attack the outside channels.
McGuigan injured. Bit surprised not to see Lee Jones.
Onto the bench, Denton can hopefully front up to the French forwards a bit more. Haven't seen much of him but supposedly enjoying a good season. Kinghorn a decent fullback, wouldn't be surprised to see him on the wing for Scotland soon.

Scotland team for France game:

15. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors)
14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors)
13 Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors)
12. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
11. Sean Maitland (Saracens)
10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors)
9. Greig Laidlaw VC (ASM Clermont Auvergne)

1. Gordon Reid (London Irish)
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby)
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby)
4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors)
6. John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets)
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)
8. Ryan Wilson VC (Glasgow Warriors)

Substitutes
. Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons)
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors)
18. Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons)
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby)
20. David Denton (Worcester Warriors)
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors)
22. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons)
23. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)

Thoughts;

- we look very undersized in the backs. I expect France to have a monster team meaning likely game line advantage from a lot of their phases.
- to support the defence the back row will have to be incredibly mobile. I'm glad Wilson is in there as he is able to get around the field well, but barclay and Watson need to step it up or we'll end up with undersized backs conceding ground.
- hopefully having Laidlaw back on the field will help us keep some maturity. One of the most frustrating things about last week was how our team (inc captain barclay) lost the head completely after the 2 tries. Greg should be a calming influence in that respect.
- Greg will also hopefully get kicking duties, and will be able to voice a view on when to take the points on offer from pens.
- we still have a chronically slow prop in Gordon Reid starting. While it is absolutely enforced, he's like a empty shirt when defending. His lack of mobility around the park could lead to gaps, and more cases where we have players isolated in defence.
- excited for kinghorn to see if he can step up to the intensity of the 6 nations. Have liked what I've seen of him this season at Edinburgh and he deserves a run-out.

Easy decision to bring Laidlaw back in even though Toonie clearly sees Price as the future. He's certainly not the best scrum half in the competition (& quite the opposite to the direction they want to go in) but his psychology and leadership is just what they need.

I honestly can't see anything other than the Scots really fronting up here. The pain they have felt this week will just sharpen them up into dangerous beast.

Thoughts;

- we look very undersized in the backs. I expect France to have a monster team meaning likely game line advantage from a lot of their phases.
- to support the defence the back row will have to be incredibly mobile. I'm glad Wilson is in there as he is able to get around the field well, but barclay and Watson need to step it up or we'll end up with undersized backs conceding ground.
- hopefully having Laidlaw back on the field will help us keep some maturity. One of the most frustrating things about last week was how our team (inc captain barclay) lost the head completely after the 2 tries. Greg should be a calming influence in that respect.
- Greg will also hopefully get kicking duties, and will be able to voice a view on when to take the points on offer from pens.
- we still have a chronically slow prop in Gordon Reid starting. While it is absolutely enforced, he's like a empty shirt when defending. His lack of mobility around the park could lead to gaps, and more cases where we have players isolated in defence.
- excited for kinghorn to see if he can step up to the intensity of the 6 nations. Have liked what I've seen of him this season at Edinburgh and he deserves a run-out.

I think defence in the 10-12 channel might be a problem but not sure what alternatives we have with Dunbar and Taylor out. Jones at 12 didn't work last week.
Agree on Reid. You'd hope we'd have been able to manage it better though - keep him central and ideally just out from rucks. Creates more work for the team but should reduce the chances of giant gaps appearing.

Berghan, Wilson and Horne are all significant upgrades and I can see no excuse why the latter two weren't in the side last week.

I feel Price has been made a scapegoat for one subpar performance (in a sea of subpar performances) - quite disappointed in that from Townsend really, seems a bit kneejerk as the biggest fault for me was Townsends tactics rather than player execution.

I don't see a Laidlaw led Scotland have the urgency and pace to score more than 20 points against what is likely a reasonable French defence.

Potential for it to be a little wet and windy which I think might further benefit France (although I still know almost zero about their players). So...

France by 6

Going by last weeks performances, I would say France.

Although I can't see that happening at Murrayfield. I expect a close game, but France will be the losing team.

Some changes to the French team, notably Beauxis at fly half which indicates that France will kicking the leather off the ball!
Watch out for Doumayrou at centre who replaces Chavancy and Marco Tauleigne at no.8.
According to the BBC weatherman, it could be sunny and dry, so I reckon the Scottish backs could just see them home by 5 or 6.

Le XV contre l'Ecosse :
15.Palis ; 14.Thomas, 13. Lamerat, 12. Doumayrou, 11. Vakatawa ; 10. Beauxis, 9. Machenaud ; 7. Camara, 8. Tauleigne, 6. Lauret ; 5. Vahaamahina, 4. Iturria ; 3. Slimani, 2. Guirado (cap.), 1. Poirot.
Les remplaçants : 16. Pélissié, 17. Ben Arous, 18. Gomes Sa, 19. Gabrillagues, 20. Picamoles, 21. Serin, 22. Belleau, 23. Fall.

If France keep the same defensive discipline as they did against Ireland then I say France. Scotland are weaker than Ireland defensively and I can see France getting more opportunities.

Scotland need to focus on getting their line out working and getting an organised defensive line. My issue is that based on the quotes from the Scotland camp the focus has been more on their attacking game and getting that right. Relying on your attack to outscore the opposition, rather than limiting the opposition with a strong defence is not the safest tactic.

Price had a bit of a mare last week but I'm not a fan of Laidlaw, his service is too slow to play the game Scotland want to play. Not sure about this one to be honest, Scotland need to get the ball wide and tire this French pack or it could be a bit of a battering up front.

If France keep the same defensive discipline as they did against Ireland then I say France. Scotland are weaker than Ireland defensively and I can see France getting more opportunities.

Scotland need to focus on getting their line out working and getting an organised defensive line. My issue is that based on the quotes from the Scotland camp the focus has been more on their attacking game and getting that right. Relying on your attack to outscore the opposition, rather than limiting the opposition with a strong defence is not the safest tactic.

It's risky, but if ( a big if )Scotland can get a few points on the board early then their confidence will rise. They surely can't play any worse than last week when it looked as if they'd been up all Friday night on the pish.

Last edited:
As much as I want a strong French team back in the Championship, I'm hoping for a Scottish win today... if they lose today, with the tough games against England and Ireland to come, it could kill any good will for the game in Scotland for a long time. Yes they've been through a tough period for a while but with the hope going in this year I reckon the casuals will never come back.

Looking forward to this. Put a fiver on France but expecting Scotland to win. A combination of the teams' relative confidence from last week's performances; French power and defensive organisation; and Laidlaw starting made me think 2-1 were worth-a-punt odds on France, but ultimately the weather and Murrayfield crowd make Scotland deserved favourites for me.

Are Scotland on the verge of stealing France's "it depends which team turns up" cliché ... ? I reckon by the end of this tournament that will be the new lazy rugby journalist's standard analysis.

Purely selfish i know but I could do with Scotland losing this. I know I know its bad, but after yesterday all my good will has evaporated!

Oh my lord Teddy Thomas is incredible.
He did it again.
And let's stop talking about how great Fin Russell is - dogshit tackle on Thomas there.

I haven't seen much French club rugby but is Beauxis the best 10 available? He may well be but I thought Trinh - Duc would've been there. I see Parra isn't there as well.
What happened to Fofana, Guitone, Dulin and Basteraud?
Hopefully a good game, Thomas with a great finish already

Thought Laidlaw had lost Scotland that chance by dawdling and allowing the counter ruck, excellent work from Johnny Gray though, good try. Teddy THomas arguably at fault for biting in on Russell?

Always thought Russell was a bit overrated but this championship he has been terrible. Capable of some brilliance but his ego is the Achilles heal of this Scottish side.

Latest posts