Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Super%20Rugby.png
Sharks.png

Here we go lads!

Last edited:
See you on the 4th of May. Our victory shall be glorious :p

I say Robbie, I hope that isn't the case.
We have a hell of a tough schedule, especially overseas. I think our bye weeks are also at the beginning/end of the international breaks, which kind of blows in one sense.

What is the top Sharks 22 looking like this season? I see F Steyn is back, but I can't see many other major changes from last season (apart from the the loss of Michalak). I'm hoping to see a bit more of Jordaan this season, as he looks a serious talent. Have you got yourselves a decent 9 this year? I'm not a big fan of McLeod.

What is the top Sharks 22 looking like this season? I see F Steyn is back, but I can't see many other major changes from last season (apart from the the loss of Michalak). I'm hoping to see a bit more of Jordaan this season, as he looks a serious talent. Have you got yourselves a decent 9 this year? I'm not a big fan of McLeod.
I might not be able to tell you as much as a Sharks fan but I'd imagine it would be very similar, Tim Whitehead will probably be dropped for Steyn (which is a bit of a shame in my opinion) Lambie will finally play consistently at fly-half and Ludik will hopefully get some consistent time at the back.

As for 9, most people favour Cobus Reinach for the starting position, a player with a lot more potential than McLeod, but I'd predict his move into the first 15 will be gradual rather than a straight swap from the beginning of the season. Starting 15 assuming no injuries will probably look like this:

1. Beast
2. Bismark
3. Jannie
4. Anton Bresler
5. Franco Van der Merwe
6. Marcel Coetze
7. Willem Alberts
8. Daniels
9. McLeod
10. Lambie.
11. Mvovo
12. Steyn
13. Jordaan
14. Pietersen
15. Ludik

16. Craig Burden
17. Dale Chadwick
18. Wiehan Herbst
19. Pieter-Steph du Toit (I'd guess Sharks fan's will call for him starting)
20. Cobus Reinach (again Sharks fans will want him to start)
21. Tim Whitehead
22. Odwa Ndungane

Should be fairly close to that.

As SomeOke said, but as Bismarck is still sidelined for some time, Burden to start with Kyle Cooper on the bench (though would prefer the latter starting) and maybe Viljoen instead of Odwa on the bench, to provide cover for 10/centres/15.

Our front-row is an all-Bok trio, but we have issues. Bismarck is out with a knee injury until April, Mtawarira is still struggling with heart problems and it remains to be seen if he will play at all this year. That said, we have gotten a lot better depth-wise. Our center-options with Steyn, Whitehead, Jordaan and Williams (and maybe even Mjkevu) give us more depth and we can take an injury or two in that department. Our backrow has been our biggest asset in recent years with 5 Boks and a veteran for 6 spots (Coetzee, Deysel, Alberts, Daniel, Kankowski and Botes). The experience at lock comes from Franco van der Merwe, bringing some leadership for the line-outs with Bresler, du Toit and the Marais brothers learning from him. James and attacking coach Spencer will be very good for Lambie and hopefully we see a full season of Ludik! All in all, we are settled with only Bismarck and Mtawarira as concerns.

Loose forward trio: Daniel, Coetzee, Kankowski; Alberts bench.
Backline: Reinach, Lambie, Pietersen, Steyn, Jordaan, Mvovo, Ludik; McLeod, Viljoen, Whitehead bench.

The forwards are pretty settled with the hierarchy established for the place fillers while Bissie is out and I'd assume you'd rotate your 2nd row and backrow as you lose nothing ITO quality it's just a case of resting players and getting the balance right.

Personally I'd love to see Reinach get some starts as I see him having more potential and I'm over the moon that we'll see Lambie at 0 and Ludik consistently at 15 as I think these are both 2nd choice for SA in those positions and should play there. Kinda a pity that Whitehead won't probably get as much time but it'd be good for SA if Steyn can get back into shape.

I think the Stormers will again beat out the other SA teams for log position just because of better consistency but I wouldn't bet against the Sharks at the end because of their more balanced approach and superior depth in quality.

Sharks starting to look vunerable at prop with the latest injury

Chadwick is injured -"SA Rugby reports that Sharks prop Dale Chadwick is the latest injury casualty. He has a stress fracture in his foot, and will likely be out for between four and six weeks. This leaves the Sharks decidedly thin in front row depth."

Beast is fine

Chadwick being out injured is not a concern. It just opens the door for Allan Dell.

Dell is a promising player, but I think Herbst merits the spot right now.

Herbst is a tight-head. I prefer we sign JC JvR on loan (same deal as Franco van der Merwe). I still don't understand why SANZAR didn't adopt the 23-man selection so teams can have 2 props on the bench

I have no clue, it doesn't make any sense to me.

I'd still prefer to Herbst on the bench for now, but Dell should certainly have a chance.

Dell's big advantage is that he can play both sides of the scrum

Latest posts