• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scrumming

Ben Gerber

Academy Player
Gents... and ladies (maybe). How difficult is it to referee a scrum. I know rugby rules can be read in different ways.. But it always seems that the scrum is a place where you really have to play the referee.. not the rules?

Not wanting to be a pedant but they are laws not rules.
As a retired ref ( only to uk level 5 to 7).
Get the props straight make them push square keep them on feet job done.
TV rugby is totally different kettle of fish because world rugby makes up something that should be a simple way to restart the game into a minefield of one upmanship

i've probably bored people bring this up so many times

I hate that scrums result in so many penalties....a lot of scrum collapses or pops are due to plain old not being strong enough or these **** sand based turfs and having no grip...do those sounds like things that should result on points/penalties/cards?

Neither are things that a scrum getting demolished can fix suddenly, if we cant get a stable and safe scrum dues to things like that the free kick to the team with the feed and play on, having the ball is your reward

I've said before that I think that penalties should only be awarded if players collapse the scrum straightaway. As long as the scrum is stable, even if a team gets a shove on, it should only result in a free kick maximum. That way sides will have no incentive to try and milk a penalty and will instead just play the ball.

To referee the scrum properly, you have to be part of the scrum. I wish all referees take some time and do simulations where they are binding as a loosehead, tighthead prop and the hooker, and gets to understand what it feels like to be up front and how tough it is to scrum. Some referees guess half the time, and on other occasions, they are just wrong with their observations.

But prior to engagement the packs must be straight and still.
At engagement there must be a clear bind on your opponent, and that bind must be kept.
Prior to the ball being thrown in, the scrum must remain straight and there shouldn't be any movement by either pack.
When the ball is thrown in, there must be a clear hook by the attacking team's hooker.
While the ball is in the scrum, teams may try to overpower their opposition by driving forward and straight. the attacking team may also wheel the scrum to their advantage to give their backline more front foot space.

Latest posts