• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Santiago Phelan: the worst international selector?

psychic duck

International
Ireland fans have sometimes been frustrated at the lack of progressive thinking of their coach Declan Kidney. Likewise Argentina also have a coach who like Kidney is one of the most conservative and poor selectors there are, and loves picking average out of form 30 year olds to keep the side the same and making the form younger players wait. Phelan's selections for the first match of the Rugby Championship shows that nothing has changed with him and he has kept nearly entirely the same side that scraped past Scotland in the World Cup. He has only made one change that isn't injury or retirement enforced from the team that lost to New Zealand. He has made a number of errors in selection.

1. Why select an average 30 year old who has been injured for most of the past year ahead of the 21 year old with potential who did well against France?

From the Pumas matches against France, it was seen that flanker Tomás de la Vega had some potential to be a genuine openside (fetcher) for the Pumas in the future. He did a good job in the Pumas win against France making numerous tackles and slowing the French ball down. But Phelan instead opts to exclude the 21 year old from the squad, and selects an average 30 year old in Alvaro Galindo who has been injured for the most of last season (he made just 3 starts).

2. Why continue to select a 33 year old who looks unfit and off the pace this year?

On the other flank, Julio Farías Cabello is retained. Cabello did decently last year, but the 33 year old is ageing and has looked off the pace in 2012 for the Pampas XV and the Pumas and his selection is another example of non progressive thinking by Phelan.

The back row is actually an area where South Africa should now have an advantage over Argentina now, as Keegan Daniel who looks very fit and mobile and young Marcell Coetzee should be able to outpace and outmanoeuvre a 33 year old in Cabello who looks unfit (weight wise) and off the pace and a 30 year old in Galindo who has been injured for the past year.

3. Why select a back row with three 30 year old's all of whom have had injury/fitness issues?

Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe has as well had injury problems over the past year (he just came back towards the end of last season from a long term knee injury) and is in his thirties, so Phelan has selected three back rowers with fitness issues and all in their thirties. Surely it would have been better to have selected de la Vega who is much younger, and doesn't have fitness issues surrounding him.

4. Why select a semi retired 35 year old ahead of a younger player who is clearly as good and probably surpassed him?

Phelan has also decided to stick with another unfit veteran 35 year old Rodrigo Roncero. It has been clear at least since 2011 that the Leicester prop Marcos Ayerza has surpassed an ageing Roncero and is now better (and concedes a lot less penalties for sure), it was understandable why Phelan stuck with Roncero until the World Cup, but now it is time to select the 29 year old who will be available in 2015, not the semi retired 35 year old who was undecided about whether to continue playing a few weeks ago. Anyway, even though Roncero is starting you can guarantee you will see Ayerza in action, Roncero struggles to make it 50 minutes these days.

5. Why leave out the most exciting back, and the team's best finisher?

In the backs meanwhile, the most stupid omission of any player is that Argentina's most exciting back Juan Imhoff. This is one of the most ridiculous omissions I have seen. Imhoff is by far the Pumas best winger.

I have no idea why Camacho has been preferred. The stats show a simple story Imhoff is the superior try scoring winger. At club level, Camacho has scored 5 tries in his last 44 appearances in Premiership and European rugby for Harlequins and Exeter over the past three seasons. Imhoff scored more tries in just one season with Racing-Métro (plus he created tries too), and the season before that he was the leading try scorer in the 2011 Vodacom Cup for the championship winning Pampas XV side, he also scored tries in the both warm up matches against Stade Français. Imhoff also gets involved in play better than Camacho, and makes much more line breaks. The only place where Camacho is stronger than Imhoff is in defence where Imhoff can tend to tackle a bit high. This is typical Phelan, ignoring the game changing form player of the last season for a solid, unspectacular, non try scoring winger.

(Argentina's most exciting back and best finisher Juan Imhoff has been stupidly omitted for a non try scoring winger in Gonzalo Camacho, everybody in Argentina realises this is stupid)

Meanwhile whatever defensive gains may be gained (not that much anyway) by picking Camacho, they are undone by Phelan picking weak centres (a much more important tackling position than wing). Argentina are keeping selecting two fly halves in the centres, and as a result they get players with suspect defence like Marcelo Bosch playing there (Contepomi was an exception as he was a good tackling fly half).

6. Why fail to experiment different players in problem positions in the warm up matches?

13 is not Argentina's strongest position, and the fact Bosch is still there despite his flakiness is more proof of Phelan's lack of progressive thinking. If he was thinking properly, he would have experimented in the June tests and the Stade matches converting a winger to the position. An experienced player like Horacio Agulla could fit in there (he has played there on occasion before), or a player like Manuel Montero who despite impressing in June was never likely to feature much in this tournament as a winger, but has the potential to be Argentina's equivalent of Rougerie at 13. But no non-progressive Phelan fails to experiment and the Pumas are stuck with a flaky erratic player like Bosch at 13.

7. Why when the goal kicking was so bad in the World Cup, not select a player in the 22 who is the regular goal kicker for their club?

Also there is still no trusted goal kicker in the side. According to the stats Argentina had the worst goal kicking percentage of any side at the World Cup with Contepomi getting the yips goal kicking wise, and Rodríguez Gurruchaga's kicking was all over the place. Bosch isn't a good enough goal kicker either, Hernández has goal kicked on occasions but there are no players who are regular goal kickers for their clubs, nor is there on the bench. This is another poor piece of selecting by Phelan, Martín Bustos Moyano who is the regular goal kicker for Montpellier (or Ignacio Mieres regular goal kicker for Exeter) should have at least been in the 22 so he could take over if Hernández was struggling. But now the Pumas will have to rely on a non regular goal kicker in Hernández, which is risky as the Pumas will need to get every single point available to them to cause an upset or in some cases simply keep the scores close.

8. Why continue to select a player a player who was awful in his opportunity in June?

The final issue in the Pumas side is at hooker in Guiñazu. For those who don't know much about him, Guiñazu is one of those players who gets a club contract based on the fact he plays all three front row positions ... just none of them very well. He has had a high turnover of clubs based on the fact of his versatility he can get short term injury cover contracts, but unsurprisingly no clubs have ever wanted to retain him (he is currently unattached), in fact he has made just 13 starts in 5 years at club level for 5 different clubs. Whilst Guiñazu is only in the side because Creevy is injured, god knows how he has made the side as in June he was a disaster. In the Italy match he cost the Pumas as his failure to hook the ball led to a turnover at the scrum and Italy scored from it. Against France the scrum was again destroyed just as it was against Italy but adding to that his lineout throwing was simply awful. He must surely be the worst player from any sides starting lineups this weekend, his set piece is awful and he does nothing with ball in hand.

But this dreadful selecting is nothing new for Phelan, he has been doing it for years. At the World Cup, Amorosino was man of the match against Romania, and saved Phelan his job against Scotland and was still left on the bench behind an off form Rodríguez Gurruchaga. Also in the same tournament Imhoff impressed when given a chance to play, making a good break late on against England, scoring against Romania and Georgia, but still Phelan kept selecting Camacho.

Phelan has made it nearly impossible for youngsters to breakthrough to the side regardless of form, there is just one player under the age of 26 in the Pumas starting lineup for the weekend. And only two players under the age of 30 in the forwards. Just two of the starting XV will be under 30 by the 2015 World Cup. Whilst this is not neccesarily a bad thing if the older players are good and much better than anybody else, it is a bad thing when average 30 year olds like Alvaro Galindo with no potential to improve are selected ahead of players who are as good, and have potential. Much like how Kidney's lack of progressive thinking has frustrated Irish fans, Phelan is doing the same with the Pumas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree on points 1 to 4 and on point 8. You're getting repped for that.

On point 5, I think we will see all of Agulla, Camacho, González Amorosino and Imhoff in Argentina's home games. For an away match, playing both Imhoff and Amorosino, I think, was seen as given too much of an advantage on defense, so he had to choose one and chose the one that is more comfortable playing fullback. Then, having a 5/2 split (which I think makes sense), meant Imhoff's lack of versatility played against him.

On point 6, I think we'll see Agulla at 13. I agree it should have been tested in June, though. Personally, I have no problem with Bosch.

On point 7, again Bustos Moyano was going to be a starter or nothing. He could have played instead of Camacho, mind you. I think that as JMH showed good kicking form in June, and Bosch has been taking some kicks for BOPB, he settled with that.

As a conclusion, yeah, he's one of the worst.

On point 5, I think we will see all of Agulla, Camacho, González Amorosino and Imhoff in Argentina's home games. For an away match, playing both Imhoff and Amorosino, I think, was seen as given too much of an advantage on defense, so he had to choose one and chose the one that is more comfortable playing fullback. Then, having a 5/2 split (which I think makes sense), meant Imhoff's lack of versatility played against him.

If they cared so much about defence for away games? Then why did they select Bosch at centre?

Although Imhoff does tackle too high, I think he is a good enough player with the ball in hand to be worth selecting despite that, he's Argentina's best and most skilled winger. It's like Wales not selecting Shane Williams.

On point 6, I think we'll see Agulla at 13. I agree it should have been tested in June, though. Personally, I have no problem with Bosch.

Bosch is one of those players who does show flashes of good play, but his defence is suspect and he his good moments are often equalled by bad moments. To be honest he looks a natural 12 not a 13.

On point 7, again Bustos Moyano was going to be a starter or nothing. He could have played instead of Camacho, mind you. I think that as JMH showed good kicking form in June, and Bosch has been taking some kicks for BOPB, he settled with that.

To be fair to Hernández he's a better kicker than Rodríguez who was poor at the RWC. Bosch isn't good enough to be a regular kicker. Still not ideal not to not have a kicker who is first choice with their clubs. Important that Hernández does have good form with his kicking.

Good to see you post! Interesting read and on the whole I have to agree.

Wondering if there is any nostalgia playing a part in Santiago Phelan's decisions? Because it is the 30 year olds who have got them to where they are so to speak. That being said, it's not any kind of logic which will make Argentina competitive in the long term. Certainly would have been better off picking some younger players with potential to grow. Starting off with a big loss would be tragic, but starting off with a loss to players too old to learn from the experience would be even worse. I was looking forward to seeing Imhoff play this weekend, with any luck he'll be coming to Westpac Stadium.

Hi everyboy! I'm new posting stuff, but I have a long time reading lot of threads in the forum.
I have to agree in many points of this post in particular. For these couple of matches against South Africa plan is propose very closed, phisycal game, that's why Camacho is geting over Imhoff. Juan is considered by phelan a good attack player, but not the same in defense. Anyway, I do think that is a wrong selection, and I have to take Wales example of Shane Williams.
I think the main thing is have a good presentation in this first Rugby Championship, having experienced players in every single position. I agree with picking new blood, like Tomás De La vega, Manuel Montero, Juan Cruz Guillemaín, and so many others, but Phelan is trying to be conservative because he don`t want to get his butt kicked every single match. It is just starting, and I'm Pretty shure, november test matches it's going to bring a completely new and refreshed team.

Can I introduce it to you?
New Pumas armor. Any comment?
lanzamiento_pumas_nikesc_576x324.jpg

I quite like it, it's different but they've not ruined it. It's still obviously Argentina

Ever since I saw him play for Pampas in the Vodacom Cup, I liked him. He is the most talented player they have at the moment and he is quite versatile. He can play several positions in the backline and RM92 was happy to sign him last year. It's bad he is not even in the 22.

Argentina cannot put 20 year olds in the field like other nations do. We have an amateur and semi-professional setup. Our players start playing serious rugby at 22 or 23. For example De La Vega is very green to make a start in the TRC. He has yet to develop an offensive game and a bigger physique. In the last two years he played less than 20 games. I think he deserves a chance inside the 22 but he is not ready to start.

For this first year in the competition I think it's ok to prioritize defense (our strong) over offense and experience over youth. I also prefer Imhoff over Camacho or Landajo over Vergallo but I think it's reasonable to choose this players because of their defensive skills. In Mendoza Imhoff and Landajo should start.

Our backrow is indeed old but it's what we have. Maybe next year will start rejuvenating it with De la Vega and this year's Pumitas who were outstanding.

I was skeptical about Bosch in the RWC but he surprised me. I thought he was softer.

Anyway, I agree that Phelan is not fit for the job. Ayerza should start over Roncero, Guiñazu is an incredibly mediocre player and Galindo's selection is awful. Still, we can make a decent debut on Saturday.

Good to see you post! Interesting read and on the whole I have to agree.

Wondering if there is any nostalgia playing a part in Santiago Phelan's decisions? Because it is the 30 year olds who have got them to where they are so to speak. That being said, it's not any kind of logic which will make Argentina competitive in the long term. Certainly would have been better off picking some younger players with potential to grow. Starting off with a big loss would be tragic, but starting off with a loss to players too old to learn from the experience would be even worse. I was looking forward to seeing Imhoff play this weekend, with any luck he'll be coming to Westpac Stadium.

You make a good point. Phelan is selecting players who won't be available in 2015, or would be unlikely to be. I think teams should always select an older player if they are better, but if the younger player and the older player are as good then it is better to opt for the younger player and Phelan hasn't done this.

Ayerza is at least as good as Roncero now. Roncero is 35 years old and retiring after these matches whilst Marcos Ayerza will be 32 by the 2015 World Cup and likely to be the first choice so why is he being made to wait?

Guinazu is 30 and is a pretty crap player to be honest, the other options aren't great but it would be better to give a youngster some experience rather than a very average 30 year old journeyman.

Other players such as Farías Cabello (33 and also retiring after these matches) and Galindo (30) aren't much better (especially considering their respective fitness problems) than some of the younger options like Leonardo Senatore, Tomás Leonardi and Tomás de la Vega.

Leguizamon should push one of them out though by the end of the tournament. But for the next match, South Africa should have a considerable fitness and speed advantage over the Argentine back row.

Hi everyboy! I'm new posting stuff, but I have a long time reading lot of threads in the forum.
I have to agree in many points of this post in particular. For these couple of matches against South Africa plan is propose very closed, phisycal game, that's why Camacho is geting over Imhoff. Juan is considered by phelan a good attack player, but not the same in defense. Anyway, I do think that is a wrong selection, and I have to take Wales example of Shane Williams.
I think the main thing is have a good presentation in this first Rugby Championship, having experienced players in every single position. I agree with picking new blood, like Tomás De La vega, Manuel Montero, Juan Cruz Guillemaín, and so many others, but Phelan is trying to be conservative because he don`t want to get his butt kicked every single match. It is just starting, and I'm Pretty shure, november test matches it's going to bring a completely new and refreshed team.

Exactly. Phelan's selection looks like it is trying to contain the Springboks not trying to defeat them.

I disagree about the November tests being a better selection, this isn't just for this match, but throughout Phelan's time in charge he has been a poor selector.

Argentina cannot put 20 year olds in the field like other nations do. We have an amateur and semi-professional setup. Our players start playing serious rugby at 22 or 23. For example De La Vega is very green to make a start in the TRC. He has yet to develop an offensive game and a bigger physique. In the last two years he played less than 20 games. I think he deserves a chance inside the 22 but he is not ready to start.

You say that de la Vega has no offensive game, but Galindo is one of the quietest players with ball in hand there is. I agree that de la Vega is very green, but he has potential and did well in his chance against France (especially with tackling and slowing opposition ball down) to deserve an opportunity.

I think it would have been a good idea to start him and keep an older more experienced player on the bench in case he is struggling to step up.

For this first year in the competition I think it's ok to prioritize defense (our strong) over offense and experience over youth. I also prefer Imhoff over Camacho or Landajo over Vergallo but I think it's reasonable to choose this players because of their defensive skills. In Mendoza Imhoff and Landajo should start.

Maybe in a position like centre it might be better to start off with a player who is better defensively. But on the wing, surely it is better to play a player who can score more tries. Imhoff scored in both the matches against Stade Français, has scored more tries in one season for Racing than Camacho has in three seasons with Harlequins and Exeter, and has scored more than Camacho for the Pumas in less matches.

I question whether playing a slightly better defensive winger will make a telling difference. But leaving out the best try scorer, could do.

It reminds when Steve Hansen selected Tom Shanklin (who with respect was a much better centre than winger) ahead of Shane Williams on the wing back in 2002.

I'm not sure Senatore is a much better option than Galindo. He's 28, has played little pro rugby and didn't stand out. Galindo has had five season with Racing, being first choice in three of them and spending the two others mostly injured. His defense is very solid and he doesn't avoid the breakdown work. Senatore carries well, and not much more. Pumas need to secure possession, and I think Galindo is not a bad choice given Leguizamón's injury. I don't rate Farías, so I agree with you on that one. De la Vega and Leonardi are both quite young, I'd play De la Vega alongside JMFL and Legui if the latter was fit, but with limited depth, away against the bok pack, those two would be a risky choice, especially for the first match (ever) of the tournament.

It reminds when Steve Hansen selected Tom Shanklin (who with respect was a much better centre than winger) ahead of Shane Williams on the wing back in 2002.

Nice analogy. Can't see this happening to Camacho though -

I actually rate Camacho. I think he's still quite a dynamic player. I'd be tempted to chuck him in the 22 jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make a good point. Phelan is selecting players who won't be available in 2015, or would be unlikely to be. I think teams should always select an older player if they are better, but if the younger player and the older player are as good then it is better to opt for the younger player and Phelan hasn't done this.

Ayerza is at least as good as Roncero now. Roncero is 35 years old and retiring after these matches whilst Marcos Ayerza will be 32 by the 2015 World Cup and likely to be the first choice so why is he being made to wait?

Guinazu is 30 and is a pretty crap player to be honest, the other options aren't great but it would be better to give a youngster some experience rather than a very average 30 year old journeyman.

Other players such as Farías Cabello (33 and also retiring after these matches) and Galindo (30) aren't much better (especially considering their respective fitness problems) than some of the younger options like Leonardo Senatore, Tomás Leonardi and Tomás de la Vega.

Leguizamon should push one of them out though by the end of the tournament. But for the next match, South Africa should have a considerable fitness and speed advantage over the Argentine back row.

Exactly. Phelan's selection looks like it is trying to contain the Springboks not trying to defeat them.

I disagree about the November tests being a better selection, this isn't just for this match, but throughout Phelan's time in charge he has been a poor selector.

You say that de la Vega has no offensive game, but Galindo is one of the quietest players with ball in hand there is. I agree that de la Vega is very green, but he has potential and did well in his chance against France (especially with tackling and slowing opposition ball down) to deserve an opportunity.

I think it would have been a good idea to start him and keep an older more experienced player on the bench in case he is struggling to step up.

Maybe in a position like centre it might be better to start off with a player who is better defensively. But on the wing, surely it is better to play a player who can score more tries. Imhoff scored in both the matches against Stade Français, has scored more tries in one season for Racing than Camacho has in three seasons with Harlequins and Exeter, and has scored more than Camacho for the Pumas in less matches.

I question whether playing a slightly better defensive winger will make a telling difference. But leaving out the best try scorer, could do.

PLease, could you tell me where did you get those stats???? I´m looking for something like that

Hi, all.

I've joined this Forum during RWC2011, and I would like to share my point of view on this.

I may agree with most of your "this player over that player" arguments. However, there are some other values when making a selection. You have named a lot of players, like Roncero or Farías, who may be outplaced by younger ones in some aspect of the game, but their contribution to the team spirit is still unvaluable.
I mean, I suppose you have played sports, any kind of them. I had some teammates that were maybe worse than their competitors in terms of technical or tactical skills, but their inspired me in the field and make me and my other teammates more valuable. I would go to war with just a knife if they were at my side.

Pumas rugby is about guts; maybe Phelan's choice for this 2012 edition was to pick those players that would risk their own body to inspire the next generation. And in your middle 30's, when you reach that point were maybe you are outperformed by a younger rugby player, you know that what you have accomplished will still be respected, and will give 120% of you because you know there is outside someone better than you, and you have to prove that you are still valuable.

You say that "I think teams should always select an older player if they are better, but if the younger player and the older player are as good then it is better to opt for the younger player and Phelan hasn't done this." Well, I see it the other way. The older ones have already proven they are ready to be here and to play against Sanzar. Have the younger ones done that? Would you rush their development? How will a +40 point defeat affect them? It is a new competition, let's bet for sure right now.

Those older players you are talking about think they will be able to go to New Zealand and grab a victory. That's the way the Pumas think, and what have made them respected. It takes time to be fearless when facing the Boks, and playing for Pumas is not the same that playing for a club. I might be slighty better that you when playing at Club level, but how about when we are going to play against a team where each single player is better than every one of us? Will you be happy with a non bonus defeat, or will you look for the impossible? What would be your reaction if losing by 20 during the first ten minutes? And if winning by 4 when there are ten minutes left? Do you have what it takes when playing with Pumas?

I don't think nostalgia is playing a part in Phelan decisions; maybe he doesn't want to take chances right now. I would expect major changes for 2013 edition.

However, I do agree about Imhoff. Totally. I think he is ready, as he has proved in RWC2011.

The worst international selector? I'm not sure. I think Heyneke Meyer or Stuart Lancaster may have that ***le at the moment. I will say Camacho has been very good thus far and Roncero was outstanding at the weekend.

you where wrong about guinazu he had a great game!!

Latest posts