English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale

Samoa's Rugby World Cup warm-up squad

Forwards: Michael Ala'alatoa, Brian Alainu'uese, Paul Alo-Emile, Michael Curry, So'otala Fa'aso'o*, Miracle Fai'ilagi*, Charlie Faumuina*, Jack Lam, Seilala Lam, ***i Lamositele*, Jordan Lay, Fritz Lee, Genesis Mamea-Lemalu, Steven Luatua*, Sama Malolo*, Theo McFarland, Alamanda Motuga, Ray Niuia, Taleni Seu, Samuel Slade, Jordan Taufua, Luteru Tolai, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Tietie Tuimauga, Chris Vui
Backs: Nigel Ah Wong, Ereatara Enari, Neria Fomai, Stacey Ili, Christian Leali'ifano*, D'angelo Leuila, Tumua Manu, Melani Matavao, Tim Nanai-Williams, Duncan Paia'aua, UJ Seuteni, Lima Sopoaga*, Martini Talapusi*, Jonathan Taumateine, Danny Toala

*Denotes uncapped players.

Five more switches for Samoa in the form of ***i Lamositele, Christian Leali'ifano, Charlie Faumuina, Steven Luatua and Lima Sopoaga

Last edited:
Looks decent. Certainly stronger than they've been in a good while.

I guess my only observation would be that a lot of their better players might need to shift around in order to all be on the pitch at the same time.

For example, if Taufua and Lee are at 7 and 8, do McFarland and Vui play at lock in order to accommodate Luatua at 6? Similarly, does Leali'ifano play 12 to allow Sopoaga to play 10?

Think having Leali'ifano and Sopoaga will be huge for them. So often the islander teams have incredible strike runners but no proper 10 to pull the strings; now Samoa have two mature heads with tons of experience. Exciting stuff.

I just thought ***i had quit due to club demands. Didn't think that he'd be switching nations. That one sucks.

Think having Leali'ifano and Sopoaga will be huge for them. So often the islander teams have incredible strike runners but no proper 10 to pull the strings; now Samoa have two mature heads with tons of experience. Exciting stuff.
I agree with the idea, but I'm not sure there are 'incredible strike runners' in the squad though.

There are some good players, but I'm not sure I'd rate any of them as 'incredible'.

Actually, where I see those two adding most value is the game management. Both have played 10 for European teams (I'm talking about Ulster & Lyon here) who play for territory and use their forwards a bit differently than the SH teams usually do.

As I see it, Samoa's forwards are better than their backs. If their half backs can make the most of that, they'll be pretty dangerous.

the other huge benefit teams like Tonga and Samoa will be not getting all the best player in the starting 15...but they might actually have some impact from the bench. These teams have famously had to field guys coming straight from club rugby before, having international experience on the bench could be what stops them shipping 30 points in the final 20 min and gets some wins

How does the rugby world create more opportunities for samoan born players? They make up less than a quarter of this squad, with 26 born in New Zealand, 9 in samoa, 4 in australia, and one in the USA.

Perhaps if they can focus on getting money through a strong international game using overseas born players, then if they can put that money into schoolboy rugby that could help. Although samoan and Tongan kids these days are far more likely to play league I guess. Tough to compete with that given the recent successes

But high school seems to be important. If you look at where these players spent their last year of high school there'd be an even smaller percentage for samoa. I guess another way to get more samoan born players into the game would be more scouting by overseas high schools.

I did see a tonga under 16 league team will be touring nrl clubs. That sort of initiative would help

Here is 32 of the 33 man squad:

Forwards: Michael Alaalatoa (co-captain), Paul Alo-Emile, Charlie Faumuina, Jordan Lay, Seilala Lam, Sama Malolo, Luteru Tolai, Brian Alainuuese, Theo McFarland, Sam Slade, Chris Vui (co-captain), Sootala Faasoo, Miracle Fai'ilagi, Fritz Lee, Steven Luatua, Alamanda Motuga, Taleni Seu, Sa Jordan Taufua.

Backs: Ere Enari, Melani Matavao, Jonathan Taumateine, Christian Leali'ifano, Lima Sopoaga, Alai D'Angelo Leuila, Tumua Manu, Duncan Paiaaua, Ulupano Junior Seuteni, Nigel Ah Wong, Ed Fidow, Neria Fomai, Benjamin Lam, Danny Toala

Latest posts