• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Burgess U Turn

valley commando

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
I said on this site in the week leading up to the World Cup that Burgess would go back to league sooner rather than later and was called by some a troll, know names mentioned, I also received vitriolic comments for thanking Lancaster for picking Burgess and not picking Cipriani, as a Welsh fan I felt his choices would benefit Wales.
Mind you who can blame him I feel sorry for Burgess and sorry for Bath and their fans as it would seem from reports that he is highly likely to return to league and if so the likelihood is he will join his brothers down under. From what I saw of him in a Bath shirt he was progressing nicely and maybe would have made the next 6 nations squad as England's blindside. What happened over the course of a few short weeks was Lancaster and possibly Farrell and others have ruined a promising career due to their own shortcomings as coaches with the bizarre idea of turning a novice flanker into a world class centre in weeks, perhaps they thought they were magicians who knows what was going on in their heads.
If big Sam does return to league then a big grovelling apology is needed by Lancaster and his cronies to Sam and the owner, coaching staff and loyal supporters of Bath RFC.
Oh I nearly forgot thanks again Mr Lancaster for picking SB and not picking Cip's, you made it easier for us.

Yup, I suggested the same thing not that long ago as well, although the rumours I had heard were that he was gonna play SUper League. Turns out it looks like he will head back to Souths.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34662659

Ncurd replied that this is being discussed under another heading so I've stuck my thoughts on there, but glad I wasn't alone on this.

Ncurd replied that this is being discussed under another heading so I've stuck my thoughts on there, but glad I wasn't alone on this.

AH, ok cheers! For me the whole thing was just too rushed. If he was gonna play in the centres it would have taken him years to get to international standard, on a consistent basis. Even SBW, who is clearly more suited to centre than Burgess took quite some time to figure it out. Anyway, I'll pop over the other thread and check out what they are saying. No suprises at all though IMO!!

I said on this site in the week leading up to the World Cup that Burgess would go back to league sooner rather than later and was called by some a troll, know names mentioned, I also received vitriolic comments for thanking Lancaster for picking Burgess and not picking Cipriani, as a Welsh fan I felt his choices would benefit Wales.
Mind you who can blame him I feel sorry for Burgess and sorry for Bath and their fans as it would seem from reports that he is highly likely to return to league and if so the likelihood is he will join his brothers down under. From what I saw of him in a Bath shirt he was progressing nicely and maybe would have made the next 6 nations squad as England's blindside. What happened over the course of a few short weeks was Lancaster and possibly Farrell and others have ruined a promising career due to their own shortcomings as coaches with the bizarre idea of turning a novice flanker into a world class centre in weeks, perhaps they thought they were magicians who knows what was going on in their heads.
If big Sam does return to league then a big grovelling apology is needed by Lancaster and his cronies to Sam and the owner, coaching staff and loyal supporters of Bath RFC.
Oh I nearly forgot thanks again Mr Lancaster for picking SB and not picking Cip's, you made it easier for us.

Great post.

Sam Burgess copped a frankly ridiculous amount of flak from the UK fans and press, but his selection was an example of the poor management of the England team more than it was a reflection of his ability.

Looking at it from the outside in, the situation almost perfect exemplifies why there is a divide between the north and south; the north have great player, physical and financial resources, but no cohesion and cooperation between club and country. Had Sam decided he would rather play for Australia (and under residency rules I believe he could have), he'd have gone into a side like the Waratahs and have played in a position that would have been agreed in consultation with the national coach was the best option for him to develop his game. I dare say we'd be talking about he incredibly effective his transfer was under the guidance of a guy like Cheika, rather than reading articles blaming him for England's woes.

He was always going to come back but its just a lot quicker than he, or anyone involved imagined. He left Australia as an absolutely respected champion who had the admiration of a whole country to then go to England to basically get vilified for England's rubbish world cup, yeah I'm sure he wants to stick around... Plus who would want to live in miserable Bath when they can live in sunny warm Sydney - lifestyle would have to be a huge consideration.

Sam Burgess was made a very public scapegoat and it wasn't his fault at all. He has magnificent attributes as a player and the time frame was too short to realise them.
Lancaster and Farrell ruined his opportunity for development as they sought to use Burgess to plug the gap left by the omission of Tuilagi.

for mine he got benji marshall'd. not enough exposure to union then thrust into a level he wasn't ready for. Don't blame the player, blame the staff rushing them where they dont belong.

I would like to see where Burgess was vilified I don't think I've seen anything where one person blames him for the world cup loss. Just the poor decision making of the English management to actually play and pick him. Even then few say he was directly responsible for thensuring two losses.

Sam Burgess was made a very public scapegoat and it wasn't his fault at all. He has magnificent attributes as a player and the time frame was too short to realise them.
Lancaster and Farrell ruined his opportunity for development as they sought to use Burgess to plug the gap left by the omission of Tuilagi.

Simply put and entire accurate. He seemed to care a lot for the shirt and took enormous pride in what he was doing. Was lacking in union nous, but not in physical ability nor heart. We have too few players of his potential.

Bath have gone about it the right way. Tried a position or two, got him settled, yet still threw him in at the deep end. Had a clear plan for where they envisage him playing in the long-term and it would be a real shame if he left before given a chance to show what he can really do.

Burgess has great qualities and could develop into a good XV player if given time. The guy did his best, it's ridiculous that he is blamed for England's losses instead of the coaches who forced him into the team.

Burgess has great qualities and could develop into a good XV player if given time. The guy did his best, it's ridiculous that he is blamed for England's losses instead of the coaches who forced him into the team.

Hold on, I've read this kinda comment several times. Are you genuinely saying people over in England are blaming Englands RWC on Burgess? What people? It just seems utterly ridiculous. The guy barely even played - how could it be his fault? Not to mention the 22 other guys and coaches!!

I havent kept up with things over there obviously, but have u guys made a call on ur coach?

A) as noted above I don't think I've read anywhere where he's been given the blame. It's been noted as many management farce as he was not ready and shouldn't of been picked. But the reason we lost? Nowhere SH posters keep on saying it so it must be true....

B ) nope we are having a farce of a review...

Hold on, I've read this kinda comment several times. Are you genuinely saying people over in England are blaming Englands RWC on Burgess? What people? It just seems utterly ridiculous. The guy barely even played - how could it be his fault? Not to mention the 22 other guys and coaches!!

I havent kept up with things over there obviously, but have u guys made a call on ur coach?

Nope. Lancaster has asked for a quick decision; the CEO has set up a ridiculously biased looking panel to investigate the WC with the seeming intent of whitewashing the matter and keeping Lancaster; those opposed to this are allegedly waiting for the WC to be over before kicking off. Where this all goes, I don't know.

I would like to see where Burgess was vilified I don't think I've seen anything where one person blames him for the world cup loss. Just the poor decision making of the English management to actually play and pick him. Even then few say he was directly responsible for thensuring two losses.

Exactly what I was thinking.
If anything he came out shining compared to most others as he performed better than many expected.

Great post.

Sam Burgess copped a frankly ridiculous amount of flak from the UK fans and press,

This just isn't true. A lot of people have said that he isn't ready and isn't a centre, but they haven't vilified him. It's Lancaster and the coaches who are copping the flak, not Burgess. It'd be a real shame if he does go back to League, because as has been noted in the press and elsewhere, he is developing into a useful 6 at Bath.

I guess English folk just ignore the press, or just choose their selected outlets and journos, the Sam Burgess criticism was wide spread, on social media and media outlets, stop pretending like it wasn't.

Latest posts