• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 4 - Japan vs. Scotland (13/10/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
ozGqDLF.png

8YoqsOc.png
j7lEIMe.png
I2IwG7n.png

Venue: International Stadium Yokohama
Time: 12:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Huge game in terms of determining quarter finals match ups here are some of the permutations:
  • If Japan win they go through first and play SA.
  • Ireland qualify whatever happens as long as they beat Samoa with a BP.
  • Assuming a BP win for Scotland against Russia they will deny Japan a quarter final spot provided they beat Japan and deny them a bonus point.
  • If Japan get a losing BP and a 4 try BP Scotland can't go through.
  • If Japan get either a losing BP or a 4 try BP only Scotland will need a4 try bonus point of their own to go through.
Basically a Japan win means the boks play them in the quarter. A Japan BP means the boks play Ireland and Japan play NZ. A Scotland win without a Japan BP means Ireland play the Bokke and Scotland play the AB's in the quarter final.

"For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1." - World Rugby

That means if Scotland really run up a score on Russia and Ireland fail to get the BP against Samoa we'll be headed home on head to head v Japan in case of a three way tie. It seems like a manifestly unfair way of doing things to me, weighting PD and head to head inconsistently, but thems the breaks. We'll know exactly how much we'll have to win by prior to the Samoa though, and we should really be getting a BP regardless.

Scotland are like Kryptonite for Japan. Knocked them out the last RWC, then defeated them twice in Japan a couple of years ago despite being outplayed for huge periods of both games. This is where Townsends new found obsession with a territorial kicking game and devotion to Laidlaw is going to pay off, and I'm going to hate watching Tier2 interest be eliminated.

The 4 day turnaround for Scotland after Russia match is fairly irrelevant because it should not be a hard fought battle and the oppressive weather conditions should be a thing of the of the past by the time this match comes around. I am praying for SH ref as Laidlaw will be extremely competent and professional in milking an NH ref when he has a superior pack - both he and Finn should be given the time by their pack to pull the strings without to much trouble.

SH ref and no rain and maybe, just maybe Scotland will get Labushagged.

I wonder how the Scottish will feel being the English for a change in that nobody wants them to win ;)

I'll be cheering on Scotland (consider that a kiss of death). As a NZ fan I'd much rather play the Scots or Japan in a semi than have to take on Ireland

Hence: England/Wales fans hoping Japan win the group to make NZ and Ireland play each other

You can tell things have gone wrong when you're relying on SCOTLAND, the flakiest team in rugby, to do you a favour.

I just love the match ups for the QFs if japan top the pool with ireland second.

NZ vs ire, Ireland beat them twice but dont currently have form.

SA vs Japan, Japan beat them last world cup.

Imagine the impossible that Japan and Ireland are in the SFs, not happening but still :)

I just love the match ups for the QFs if japan top the pool with ireland second.

NZ vs ire, Ireland beat them twice but dont currently have form.

SA vs Japan, Japan beat them last world cup.

Imagine the impossible that Japan and Ireland are in the SFs, not happening but still :)
I want us to win the pool for obvious reasons but from a pure story viewpoint us v NZ and Japan v SA is way more compelling as a pair of matchups.

Yeah, I'd rather face South Africa than NZ. We're relying on Scotland though, so I'll see you in a couple weeks!

At least we can jointly sympathise with our Scottish friends who have to support them every week.

I want us to win the pool for obvious reasons but from a pure story viewpoint us v NZ and Japan v SA is way more compelling as a pair of matchups.

Is it? SA bashed Japan before the world cup and will do so easily again. I'd argue the Japanese public would rather see their team play the ABs in a quarter. NZ v Ireland obviously a big game, but so is SA v Ireland for that matter.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/49959867

He has a point but really its a waste of time Scotland focusing on feeling hard done by. They can still secure their own way into the QF's with two BP wins and limiting Japan and that's all they should care about.

Defeatist mentality otherwise.

"For clarification, in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1." - World Rugby

That means if Scotland really run up a score on Russia and Ireland fail to get the BP against Samoa we'll be headed home on head to head v Japan in case of a three way tie. It seems like a manifestly unfair way of doing things to me, weighting PD and head to head inconsistently, but thems the breaks. We'll know exactly how much we'll have to win by prior to the Samoa though, and we should really be getting a BP regardless.
Thanks for this. I was wondering what effect PD would have on the outcome as well.

He has a point but really its a waste of time Scotland focusing on feeling hard done by. They can still secure their own way into the QF's with two BP wins and limiting Japan and that's all they should care about.

Yeah, not a good look. I wasn't a fan of Schmidt's comments after the Ireland game but there was at least a point to them (they won't get reffed by Gardner again). Unless Townsend fears our squint feeds...

Huge game in terms of determining quarter finals match ups here are some of the permutations:
  • If Japan win they go through first and play SA.
  • Ireland qualify whatever happens as long as they beat Samoa with a BP.
  • Assuming a BP win for Scotland against Russia they will deny Japan a quarter final spot provided they beat Japan and deny them a bonus point.
  • If Japan get a losing BP and a 4 try BP Scotland can't go through.
  • If Japan get either a losing BP or a 4 try BP only Scotland will need a4 try bonus point of their own to go through.
Basically a Japan win means the boks play them in the quarter. A Japan BP means the boks play Ireland and Japan play NZ. A Scotland win without a Japan BP means Ireland play the Bokke and Scotland play the AB's in the quarter final.

What a way to finish the group stages.

Will be glued to my seat.

I'll be honest in saying I'd much rather prefer Japan or Scotland in the QF's, but if we get Ireland I'm happy too, we need revenge for that **** poor showing we produced end of last year, no better place to do it than the RWC.

Townsend is about to play Japan, it's obviously in his best interest to highlight them getting favourable calls. How do people not see the thinly veiled messages behind stuff like this?

Townsend is about to play Japan, it's obviously in his best interest to highlight them getting favourable calls. How do people not see the thinly veiled messages behind stuff like this?

It may well be, although Townsend hasn't gone in for tedious mind games before. I think it is fine to lose respect for a coach if they do this and I think it is no coincidence that both of them are doing it at a time they are presiding over sub-par

He is being a knob. As I said elsewhere there was 100% a crooked feed called earlier in the tournament, possibly the first I'd seen admittedly. Not the first time this year Townsend has got something totally wrong. He'd be better served looking at Pro14 highlights and wondering why Huw and Bennett aren't currently in Japan.

I appreciate it can be tactical by Townsend (who doesn't normally go in for mind games) but there is a world of difference between mind games with a rival coach and having a pop at a referee who is almost certainly not allowed to defend themselves in public.

I hope this is nipped in the bud before it becomes a trend.