• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2015 Qualifiying

psychic duck

International
The RWC 2015 qualifying campaign starts today in Mexico City, as Mexico take on Jamaica

the Mexican rugby website are streaming the match live right now on this link, World Cup final referee Craig Joubert is taking charge of the match and former England legend Lawrence Dallaglio presented both sides with their matchday shirts, and the Webb Ellis trophy is in attendance

http://mexrugby.com/website/multimedia/live-streaming-nacra-09.html

THE ROAD TO ENGLAND 2015 STARTS HERE
421313_10150735967001660_506691659_11427911_609969085_n.jpg
H

Full Time

Mexico 68-14 Jamaica

Good result for Mexico in front of the home crowd, the size of the win probably puts an end to Jamaica's hopes since only the winner advances to the next round. Jamaica and the Cayman Islands play in a couple of weeks, it looks likely Mexico vs. Cayman's will determine who advances though.

Here is an amazing highlight package of the game and festivities by the IRB.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this week's games Jamaica rebounded from their defeat to Mexico to win on the final kick vs. the Cayman Islands 19-18, the margin of victory is much too small however and Jamaica will be unable to advance. Mexico is a virtual guarentee to win the group since the Caymans must defeat them by 55 in order to do so themselves that game goes two weeks from now.

In the other America's qualifying game Barbados beat Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 34-3 in Saint Vincent, the return leg goes in a couple of weeks and it looks likely Barbados will advance.

Edit: 79 teams now vying for 8 spots.

Last edited:
Se...ser...seriously ?? Jamaica has a rugby t..team ??....
what.
thaa...
*^$!*^$*!*ù^*$*!**ù!*ù*ù* !!!!??????

Se...ser...seriously ?? Jamaica has a rugby t..team ??....
what.
thaa...
*^$!*^$*!*ù^*$*!**ù!*ù*ù* !!!!??????

YEY!!! How do you say "you play wing" in Jamaican?...

The Asian qualification process got underway this weekend, the process is quite complex and involves a multi year process of relegation and promotion to the top division of the Asian 5 nations in 2014, the winner of which will qualify for the 2015 RWC and the second place will advance to the repechage round.

Thus the first round to get started this week consists of Singapore, Chinese Taipei(Taiwan), Sri Lanka and The Phillipines, only the last placed team in the group will be eliminated from the qualifying process. The results of the first round of games was, Phillipines 37-20 Singapore and Sri Lanka 36-8 Chinese Taipei. The next two rounds of the tournament go the 18th and 21st of this month.

Last edited:
Two more games took place today in the Asian pool that is ongoing and the Phillpines defeated Chinese Taipei 34-12 and Sri Lanka 35-10 Singapore.

The pool will finish this weekend and the loser of Chinese Taipei vs. Singapore will be elimintaed from the RWC qualification with the other teams all advancing.

I realise that none of these teams will probably qualify for the Rugby World Cup, but its great to see them taking part. I just wonder, when will the RWC be expanded? Asia needs to have two teams in the finals, same With South America. There is no way that Asia or South America's second best team will be any worse than Namibia. :)

The RWC will be expanded when the lower ranked teams are better... that will take some time yet

This weekend's qualifying action has wrapped up in the Asian pool the results were, The Phillipines 28-18 Sri Lanka and Chinese Taipei 49-31 Singapore. The final standings mean that the Phillipines have been promoted a division in the Asian region and will get to skip the next round of qualifying, while Sri Lanka and Chinese Taipei as the 2nd and 3rd place teams are still alive but have a more difficult route to follow having to play the same round again next year. For Singapore they have been eliminated from qualifying for 2015.

In the America's region, Barbados crushed Saint Vincent and the Grenadines 51-0 to win their aggregate series 85-3. SVG therefore has been eliminated. The other match saw the Cayman Islands rebound from their defeat in Jamaica to win 46-13 over Mexico. I will have to wait and see who is advancing as I had thought point differential was the first tie breaker in which case Mexico has advanced, however someone has edited the wikipedia page to show the Cayman's as advancing so I could be mistaken and perhaps head to head result is the primary tie-breaker.

(Edit: the head to head is indeed the tie breaker)

A quick recap so far:

Eliminated: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Jamaica, Singapore, Mexico

Not Advancing in stage but still active: Chinese Taipei and Sri Lanka.

Advancing: Barbados, Phillipines, Cayman Islands

As it stands now: 76 teams vying for 8 spots.

Last edited:
so Mexico thrash Jamaica 68-14 in the opening match of the 2015 World Cup qualifying,

then Jamaica beat the Cayman Islands 19-18,

and then the Cayman Islands thrash Mexico 46-13

that is a strange pattern of results

I agree Psychic, all the winners were at home, which may have been a factor especially in the first game where Mexico were in front of many higher ups in the Rugby community. Mexico had previously been unranked in the world rankings so it's also hard to infer how well they were projected to do.

The next rounds in the America's qualifiying go on May 5th. The Cayman Islands appear to be the team advancing also and I have edited that into the previous post.

Last edited:
I agree Psychic, all the winners were at home, which may have been a factor especially in the first game where Mexico were in front of many higher ups in the Rugby community. Mexico had previously been unranked int he world rankings so it's also hard to infer how well they were projected to do.

The next rounds in the America's qualifiying go on May 5th.

it shows these lower ranking matches are impossible to predict, maybe one of the teams had some players who couldn't get time off work to travel perhaps, they are very amateur remember

talking of Mexican rugby, check out this hit from this fatty, looks like he could be a good bouncer

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VSlYGo9La8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Thats a great point Psychic with the amateur level of players, when even a country like Canada has availability issues with our players e.g. Ed Fairhurst and Justin Mensah-Coker being unavailable for the Churchill Cup final last year due to work commitments. I'm sure it's ten times larger of an issue for teams like the Cayman's and Mexico etc. I'm also guessing that the travelling team would be at a huge disadvantage with prepartion and acclimatisation as opposed to the home team as I would assume teams only fly in(or sail) a couple of days before game time.

Edit: Here is a highlight package of the Phillpines vs. Singapore. Apparently the nickname of The Phillipines is the Volcanoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts