• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2015 dream team.

Superalexmarket

Bench Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Duendes
With only players of the 4 semi finalists, let's build your XV dream team.
And also you can pick a second team, as a real alternative to beat the first one. (No more than 4 players by team)

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Augustin Creevy
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Schalk Burger
7 David Pocock
8 Duane Vermeulen
9 Fourie du Preez
10 Dan Carter
11 Julian Savea
12 Juan Martin Hernandez
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Ben Smith (yep I'm playing Smith back at wing but I want him and Folau on this squad at the same time)
15 Israel Folau

I guess if I'm going for a second team to take those guys on this would be it:

1 Scott Sio
2 Bismark du Plessis
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Brodie Rettalick
5 Lood de Jager
6 Pablo Matera
7 Michael Hooper
8 Keiran Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Nicolas Sanchez
11 Bryan Habana
12 Damien de Allende
13 Conrad Smith
14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
15 Kurtley Beale

Last edited:
Not a bad team but Burger at 6, can't agree there the guy is way past it and I think most SA supporters would agree.

Ben Smith
Nehe Milner-Skudder
Conrad Smith
Ma'a Nonu
Julian Savea
Daniel Carter
Aaron Smith
Kieran Read
Richie McCaw (capt)
Jerome Kaino
Sam Whitelock
Brodie Retallick
Owen Franks
Dane Coles
Wyatt Crockett

Reserves:
Keven Mealamu
Joe Moody
Charlie Faumuina
Victor Vito
Sam Cane
Tawera Kerr-Barlow
Beauden Barrett
Sonny Bill Williams.

^^ LOL And I thought I was bad. Although if we run over the top of SA this weekend then whoever next weekend it could fit.

Japan's number 8 Mafi should be there.. And maybe Van Der Merve the Canada wing..

I don't know why you'd limit yourself to the top 4.

I really liked Laidlaw at 9, I think he's the top contender for the spot.

From Argentina: Matera, Creevy, Cordero, Ayerza

From the ABs: Ben Smith, Savea, Whitelock, Conrad Smith

From Aus: Pockock, Sio, Beale

From SA: De Jager, Burger

I'm having trouble finding a second centre that stood out. All three Argentina centres were good, maybe great, but not stellar, Ma'Nonu is hard to judge as he is usually SO good that you find the extrordinary par for the course when it comes from him.

There are some standout players left out because their position was taken (Du Preez, Sanchez, Milner-Skudder, Dusautoir, Imhoff)

1 - Sio
2 - Creevy
3 - Ayerza
4 - De Jager
5 - Whitelock
6 - Matera
7 - Burger
8 - Pockock
9 - Laidlaw
10 - Beale
11 - Savea
12 -
13 - Conrad Smith
14 - Cordero
15 - Ben Smith

1. Marcos Ayerza
2. Agustin Creevy
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Schalk Burger
7. Sam Warburton
8. David Pocock
9. Aaron Smith
10. Bernard Foley
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Mark Bennett
14. DTH. van der Merwe
15. Joaquim Tuculet

16. Dane Coles, 17. Scott Sio, 18. Ramiro Herrera, 19. Iain Henderson, 20. Duane Vermeulen, 21. Fumiaki Tanaka, 22. Dan Carter, 23. Santiago Cordero

Sad to leave a lot of guys out like Juan Imhoff, Mamuka Gorgodze and a few others. Warburton creeps in after what was in my opinion the individual display of the tournament against the Boks. Outrageous and heroic at the breakdown. Plus he had 2 very good games against Australia and England. Mark Bennett is a bit of a bolter, but I can't think a stand out 13, unless Sonny Bill is slotted in. Bennett is really solid, quality in defence and gets the job done. In my opinion, we've seen a lot of good 12s in the tournament, maybe not so many 13s (unless someone can jog my memory). It's also a 50-50 call between Henderson and Jones but I've gone for Jones on this one.

I get the impression we'll see a lot more All Blacks in the team by the time the tournament is over.

- - - Updated - - -

My bad I didn't properly read the thread haha.

Out of the teams remaining the best combination (not necessarily the on form teams), 1. Ayerza, 2. Creevy, 3. Kepu, 4. Retallick, 5. Whitelock, 6. Vermeulen 7. Pocock, 8. Read, 9. Smith, 10. Carter, 11. Savea, 12. Nonu, 13. Smith, 14. Cordero, 15. Smith

Last edited:
Funny reading those last two posts and Schalk Burger (along with Le Roux) is the one player many (most of those I've been in contact with) SA supporters don't want playing.

Funny reading those last two posts and Schalk Burger (along with Le Roux) is the one player many (most of those I've been in contact with) SA supporters don't want playing.

Really!!!??? I would never have believed. For me Willy is an oustanding player.

Japan's number 8 Mafi should be there.. And maybe Van Der Merve the Canada wing..

Yes Mafi (originally from Tonga) is a good player, but I do not think World's highest level. Japan's best player is FB Gorômaru.
By the way, is there not a better name for "Number Eight"? "Number Eight" sounds strange because the player number is not 8 in the case of substitution. This position is called "Lock Forward" in RL.

I was just going by the OPs post...that wasn't my outstanding XV of the World Cup just my Dream Team made up of players left in the semi-finals with no more than 4 players from any one team.

To be fair, I feel like many Bok supporters are some of the biggest Bok critics in the world as well. Willie's form has been poor as of late and his kicking and defense have been wanting but he was one of the few players with flair in our backline. Schalk on the other hand, is clearly not the player he was when he burst onto the scene but he is a valuable leader for us, gets consistent go forward ball, and and is physical at the breakdown. The thing that annoys me the most about right now is his propensity for throwing the ball away (but Bissie does this too).

I don't necessarily think he is the best blindside flanker in the world at the moment (although I think there is some competition for who is) but he would make my dream team right now for the intangibles he brings.

Also as a sidenote, I had a pretty big internal debate about putting Louw or Burger at #6 on my team. Louw has played mostly open side this tourney but he's more than capable of playing blindside, has the size and is a good lineout option.

1. Marcos Ayerza
2. Agustin Creevy
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Lood de Jager
6. Thierry Dusautoir
7. Mamuka Gorgodze
8. David Pocock
9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Biggar
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. DTH Van Der Merwe
15. Ayumu Goromaru

16. Bismarck du Plessis
17. Sott Sio
18. Ramiro Herrera
19. Iain Henderson
20. Amanaki Mafi
21. Gareth Davies
22. Bernard Foley
23. Ben Smith

This is my overall 23 so far... plenty of opportunities for people to claim their spot though

Ended up writing an article about it here... RWC 2015 Team of the Tournament http://fourballsblog.blogspot.fr/2015/11/rwc-2015-team-of-tournament.html

This is the team I ended up going with:

1. Marcos Ayerza
2. Agustin Creevy
3. Ramiro Herrera
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Lood de Jager
6. Mamuka Gorgodze
7. David Pocock
8. Amanaki Mafi
9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Biggar
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Mark Bennett
14. DTH Van Der Merwe
15. Ayumu Goromaru

16. Dane Coles
17. Sott Sio
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Iain Henderson
20. Louis Picamoles
21. Gareth Davies
22. Dan Carter
23. Ben Smith

I'm not limiting myself to the top 4, that's silly.

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Rory Best
3 Sekope Kepu
4 Brodie Retallick
5 Alun Wyn Jones
6 Scott Fardy
7 Sean O'Brien
8 David Pocock
9 Aaron Smith
10 Dan Carter
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Bryan Habana
15 Ayumu Goromaru

Man I would love to see that team.

THE SOCIETE GENERALE DREAM TEAM

The Societe Generale Dream Team has been revealed. This glittering cast of XV players has been selected partly on statistics and scores while also taking into account the spirit in which they've played the game. The panel who made the final selection included former Rugby World Cup player and finalist for France Christian Califano, 2014 women's Rugby World Cup winner Maggie Alphonsi, World Rugby's elite Referee Manager Joel Jutge, and from the Amateur game, Andrew McGahey, a youth coach with Cambridge Rugby Club. The Societe Generale Dream Team was unveiled at the World Rugby Awards.

• 1 Marcos Ayerza, ARG
  • 2 Stephen Moore, AUS
  • 3 Ramiro Herrera, ARG
  • 4 Eben Etzebeth, RSA
  • 5 Leone Nakarawa, FJI
  • 6 Mamuka Gorgodze, GEO
  • 7 Schalk Burger, RSA
  • 8 David Pocock, AUS
  • 9 Greig Laidlaw, SCO
  • 10 Nicolas Sanchez, ARG
  • 11 Julian Savea, NZL
  • 12 Matt Giteau, AUS
  • 13 Conrad Smith, NZL
  • 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, AUS
  • 15 Ayumu Goromaru, JPN
Congratulations to all the players who participated in Rugby World Cup 2015 and especially to those who brought Team Spirit to life and make up the Societe General Dream Team.

pfff. Moore and Giteau over Creevy and Nonu?? Pocock at 8??? Savea at 11???? What are these people smoking?

Its like they went oh we cant have an entire ARG front row and we cant have the entire backline being NZers.......

Meh, I'll let Ayumu slide though as it was a pretty mean try against SA.

In the spirit of the game huh? How about they select the friggin team in the spirit of the game!!

THE SOCIETE GENERALE DREAM TEAM

The Societe Generale Dream Team has been revealed. This glittering cast of XV players has been selected partly on statistics and scores while also taking into account the spirit in which they've played the game. The panel who made the final selection included former Rugby World Cup player and finalist for France Christian Califano, 2014 women's Rugby World Cup winner Maggie Alphonsi, World Rugby's elite Referee Manager Joel Jutge, and from the Amateur game, Andrew McGahey, a youth coach with Cambridge Rugby Club. The Societe Generale Dream Team was unveiled at the World Rugby Awards.

• 1 Marcos Ayerza, ARG
  • 2 Stephen Moore, AUS
  • 3 Ramiro Herrera, ARG
  • 4 Eben Etzebeth, RSA
  • 5 Leone Nakarawa, FJI
  • 6 Mamuka Gorgodze, GEO
  • 7 Schalk Burger, RSA
  • 8 David Pocock, AUS
  • 9 Greig Laidlaw, SCO
  • 10 Nicolas Sanchez, ARG
  • 11 Julian Savea, NZL
  • 12 Matt Giteau, AUS
  • 13 Conrad Smith, NZL
  • 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, AUS
  • 15 Ayumu Goromaru, JPN
Congratulations to all the players who participated in Rugby World Cup 2015 and especially to those who brought Team Spirit to life and make up the Societe General Dream Team.

pfff. Moore and Giteau over Creevy and Nonu?? Pocock at 8??? Savea at 11???? What are these people smoking?

Its like they went oh we cant have an entire ARG front row and we cant have the entire backline being NZers.......

Meh, I'll let Ayumu slide though as it was a pretty mean try against SA.

In the spirit of the game huh? How about they select the friggin team in the spirit of the game!!

Its probably another conspiracy to tarnish the reputation of the ABs. You know, just like Mils was.

But okay, I'll bite...who would you have at 8?

^^
Even a simpleton should of noticed in the WC final Pocock is not a number 8 at int level.

NZ dismantled that Aussie pack because of the unbalanced loose forward trio they relied on. Our lineout was utterly dominant and we shaded them in most other areas.

There are a huge number of players at 8 who are performing/capable of performing better than pocock at 8 weather it be for Australia or any other INT team.

Heck NZ probably has 50 players id select ahead of Pocock at 8 in a WC final.

Its funny how NZ can totally dismantle Australia Twice in a row at WC's and people are still trying to suggest Pocock is great.

Ben Smith
Nehe Milner-Skudder
Conrad Smith
Ma'a Nonu
Julian Savea
Daniel Carter
Aaron Smith
Kieran Read
Richie McCaw (capt)
Jerome Kaino
Sam Whitelock
Brodie Retallick
Owen Franks
Dane Coles
Wyatt Crockett

Reserves:
Keven Mealamu
Joe Moody
Charlie Faumuina
Victor Vito
Sam Cane
Tawera Kerr-Barlow
Beauden Barrett
Sonny Bill Williams.

In the light of the outcome this team list is indeed very hard to argue against.
If we are selecting players on an individual basis only then some names might change.
However, when using the word 'team' we should entertain the coaching management and back room staff that create an environment where players seek to bring out the best of themselves.
Cheika is doing it with Aussie, Jones is doing it with Japan, Argentina are on the rise, Schmidt is doing it at Ireland, but Hansen and Smith are doing it better.

^^
Even a simpleton should of noticed in the WC final Pocock is not a number 8 at int level.

NZ dismantled that Aussie pack because of the unbalanced loose forward trio they relied on. Our lineout was utterly dominant and we shaded them in most other areas.

There are a huge number of players at 8 who are performing/capable of performing better than pocock at 8 weather it be for Australia or any other INT team.

Heck NZ probably has 50 players id select ahead of Pocock at 8 in a WC final.

Its funny how NZ can totally dismantle Australia Twice in a row at WC's and people are still trying to suggest Pocock is great.

You're a fool if you think because NZ beat Aus twice that means Pocock isn't a good player . It simply means NZ have a better all round team than Aus which I don't think you will find many people disagree with .

Although it is you saying it so it doesn't surprise me .

Imo Pocock is the best openside in the world at the moment . Australia's biggest problem is they have 2 therefore he plays 8 . Where did you not understand that ?!?

Latest posts