• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Russia Banned for 4 years

Rich Taff

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
About bloody time, but will it stick, or will cash stuffed envelopes take precedence as usual?

Good. Shame they are not banned from Euro 2020 as well.

Banned from RWC 2023, apparently - World Rugby uses WADA (theoretically).

I imagine there'll still be a ton of Russian athletes competing under the Olympic flag during the Olympics

About bloody time, but will it stick, or will cash stuffed envelopes take precedence as usual?
Whilst I very much understand the cynicism, it's stuck before, and did so for a while.
The work-around is those individuals who can prove that they are clean to WADA, and are willing to compete under a neutral flag (or rehome to a different nation) - but that still means that Russia are banned from those competitions.

Whilst I very much understand the cynicism, it's stuck before, and did so for a while.
The work-around is those individuals who can prove that they are clean to WADA, and are willing to compete under a neutral flag (or rehome to a different nation) - but that still means that Russia are banned from those competitions.

Maybe I'm getting too hung up on semmantics, but this isn't the first time that I've heard this phrase used. Can you elaborate on how this is achieved? Being able to prove that you are clean as opposed to the onus being on testing agencies to prove that you aren't flips the whole drugs testing game on its head.

Maybe I'm getting too hung up on semmantics, but this isn't the first time that I've heard this phrase used. Can you elaborate on how this is achieved? Being able to prove that you are clean as opposed to the onus being on testing agencies to prove that you aren't flips the whole drugs testing game on its head.
Might be completely wrong as haven't read into it - but my understanding is you'd need to prove a) haven't failed a drugs test, obviously; and b) no connection to the Russian doping program.

I'm not what the level of proof required is for the latter - does "absence of evidence" suffice or is "evidence of absence" necessary?

I imagine there'll still be a ton of Russian athletes competing under the Olympic flag during the Olympics

If the Winter Olympics are anything to go by, OAR in 2018 had 70% of the number of athletes in the 2014 Russian team.

Anyone know who funds these teams?

Might be completely wrong as haven't read into it - but my understanding is you'd need to prove a) haven't failed a drugs test, obviously; and b) no connection to the Russian doping program.

I'm not what the level of proof required is for the latter - does "absence of evidence" suffice or is "evidence of absence" necessary?

I think they have to prove no connection to the Russian Anti-Anti-Doping policy. However, if they've ever competed under the Russian flag, then they would have to be connected, so couldn't be proven clean?

I'm assuming that those of age 6-9months are free to compete. I feel this will lead to some ridiculously biased 'cuteness' votes in the boxing, but football will be business as usual and Neymar will still roll around.

Man, Just realized how much uglier Athletics will be without the pretty russian girls doing the pole vault, high jump and long jump...

Man, Just realized how much uglier Athletics will be without the pretty russian girls doing the pole vault, high jump and long jump...

Darya Klishina

205675266e4fb9fb071b876620b5a55f.jpg

As far as the Olympics are concerned, it is possible for athletes to compete as Independent Olympic Competitors. They just go it alone, if their country's Olympic committee has been banned from participating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Olympians_at_the_Olympic_Games

Latest posts