Rugby vs NFL: Fitness Tests

bushytop

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Pontypridd
Ebukam isn't a big name but he is a starter on a very good team who are however weak in his position group. He's only played two years in the NFL (one as a starter), go to a particularly big college and was a mid round draft pick. His athletic results from his Pro Day (which do favour the player) are however, really top tier.

Roberts saying British Lions....

Ebukam isn't a big name but he is a starter on a very good team who are however weak in his position group. He's only played two years in the NFL (one as a starter), go to a particularly big college and was a mid round draft pick. His athletic results from his Pro Day (which do favour the player) are however, really top tier.

Roberts saying British Lions....

I guess the ages of each player is the biggest thing. Ekubam being 24 is definitely on the upside of his career while Doc Roberts has looked about 40 since he was 24 (eight years ago).

Also, impressive knowledge on Ekubam... fair play.

Both train differently for different things, it's really like comparing a basketball player and a rugby player....great promo but doesn't mean anything and really what's the point.

Looked like Roberts could have handily beaten him in everything really. Ekubam was struggling during the plank test, arse in the air.. if they had done last one standing instead of a set time Roverts had that one. Also looked like Roberts gave him the press ups win, stopped with like 10sec left.

Intuitively i would be inclined to believe that if you pick a random pro from each sport and have them compete on a battery of tests that go from strength to speed to endurance, odds are the average rugby player will win, and probably by quite some margin. He might lose a test or two but he wont be terrible at anything.

NFL roles are way more specialized than rugby roles. Even the heaviest prop needs to be able to run for at least 50-60 minutes at a fast-paced pro sport, he needs to know how to tackle, how to pass, how to scrum, etc. Even the tallest and most uncoordinated forward can pick up the ball from a ruck and make a decent pass to the fly half. Some NFL players couldnt pass the ball even if their lives depended on it.
We've all seen wings play as flanker if they needed the extra man on the scrum (YC, RD, etc). Not that they do good, but they can do.
Put a quarterback as a linebacker and see how that goes.

Having said that, i'm pretty sure that for each specific strength and speed test, the best performance will come from an NFL athlete. The fastest 60/100 meters time will most likely come from an NFL player. Same for deadlift, etc.
I guess the biggest difference is endurance.

Now that i think about it, as sevens player will most likely be even better well rounded. It's a no brainer actually.

NFL is skill set is too specific for each role. As Cruz said if we put based on each role and acording to their strenghs they will beat anyone. Linemen cand deadlift more, cornerbacks and WR can run faster 100 dash etc....

Intuitively i would be inclined to believe that if you pick a random pro from each sport and have them compete on a battery of tests that go from strength to speed to endurance, odds are the average rugby player will win, and probably by quite some margin. He might lose a test or two but he wont be terrible at anything.

NFL roles are way more specialized than rugby roles. Even the heaviest prop needs to be able to run for at least 50-60 minutes at a fast-paced pro sport, he needs to know how to tackle, how to pass, how to scrum, etc. Even the tallest and most uncoordinated forward can pick up the ball from a ruck and make a decent pass to the fly half. Some NFL players couldnt pass the ball even if their lives depended on it.
We've all seen wings play as flanker if they needed the extra man on the scrum (YC, RD, etc). Not that they do good, but they can do.
Put a quarterback as a linebacker and see how that goes.

Having said that, i'm pretty sure that for each specific strength and speed test, the best performance will come from an NFL athlete. The fastest 60/100 meters time will most likely come from an NFL player. Same for deadlift, etc.
I guess the biggest difference is endurance.

Now that i think about it, as sevens player will most likely be even better well rounded. It's a no brainer actually.

Great post Cruz. There was a video recently where the Michigan Wolverines football team went to South Africa to work out with some college rugby teams. You could see the differences in skill sets right away. And your comment about endurance and Sevens players is spot on.

Canada's Rugby area is British Columbia. How about the USA? Is Grand Canyon University strong in College Rugby?

Canada's Rugby area is British Columbia. How about the USA? Is Grand Canyon University strong in College Rugby?

Grand Canyon University (the Antelopes) reputation is pretty good and getting better every year. College rugby is more popular in the Eastern, Southern and Midwestern parts of the USA, but it's growing out West at a pretty fast rate. It's even gaining popularity in the High School ranks. :cool:

Canada's Rugby area is British Columbia.

Rugby is also popular in Toronto. Their MLR team moved to a bigger stadium half way through this past season to accomodate the growing fan base. Also, negotiations are in the works for MLR teams in Vancouver and Halifax as well. As an MLR fan myself I'm glad to see it's growing.

Last edited:

Latest posts