• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

rugby salaries

Well that depends on many things... are they playing at club level, premier league level or International level... Also depends on the Currency of the country they are playing in and whether the player has endorsement deals...

Players playing for Super 15 teams get good money as well as guys playing in the Heineken Cup, French Top 14, Magners League and Guinness Premiership (or whatever it's called now).

Players playing for their Country like South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, England, France etc. get even more...

So this is not just a simple question and I think you should elaborate more to get a better answer...

yea i`m taking about the top polayers.i relize the palyers in europe probably do better then the kiwi`s.many times people in the states ask me how much these guys make as compared to nfl players.i tell them not near as much.i know the super 15 and heineken players get more and even more for international squads.but the top guys like macaw and the like.thanks

yea i`m taking about the top polayers.i relize the palyers in europe probably do better then the kiwi`s.many times people in the states ask me how much these guys make as compared to nfl players.i tell them not near as much.i know the super 15 and heineken players get more and even more for international squads.but the top guys like macaw and the like.thanks

Compared to NFL players they make a pittance. I know about 2 years ago BO'D was on around 535,000 a year including sponsorship.

I found this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...t-paid-player-Racing-Metro-offer-4m-deal.html
Best-paid rugby players in the
world (annual salaries)
D Carter, £1.2m, Racing Metro (2011-12)
S Chabal, £1m, Racing Metro (2011-12)
M Giteau, £900,000, Western Force (2009-10)
J Hook, £750,000, Perpignan (2011-12)
J Wilkinson, £700,000, Toulon (2011-12)
Best-paid players in English rugby
Carl Hayman, £350,000, Newcastle(2009-10)

Chris Latham Worcester (2009-10)
£325,000

Average salary in the Aviva Premiership
2006-07 £50,000
2007-08 £55,000
2008-09 £60,000
2009-10 £75,000
2010-11 £85,000

That list is weird: How can they have Dan Carter top of the list when he didn't actually play there?
It's like me offering him £38,000,000 to play for my club, but him turning it down. Doesn't mean he makes £38mil a year

I think that article was produced when they expected Carter to take the deal. So he would have been payed that much

Also wages aren't actually disclosed generally so it's usually a calculated guess.

It's obviously wrong, because Sean O'Brien and Rob Kearney obviously earn more than everyone else because they're better than everyone else.

Leinster FO' LIFE!

I once read on a Kiwi homepage that Richie McCaw is earning about 750k per year... porpably other ABs earn simmilar...

What about the lower divisions? I have almost no idea how much the Canadians in the RFU championship make although I'm guessing they are very much just eeking out a living.

many times people in the states ask me how much these guys make as compared to nfl players. i tell them not near as much. i know the super 15 and heineken players get more and even more for international squads.but the top guys like macaw and the like.thanks
Yes, rugby salaries are OK compared to regular office workers, enough for a comfortable middle-class lifestyle, but rugby will not make you rich in a few years like the NFL. Most non-international professional rugby players have to start working regular jobs after retiring from rugby, because during their rugby career they were not able to save enough money to really "retire" and not have to work anymore.
That is why when some players here in the US have a choice between trying to make it to NFL or play rugby, no-one blames them when they choose the NFL. Haloti Ngata and Stewart Bradley were top highschool rugby players who chose to play football for financial reasons and became very successful in the NFL. Nate Ebner is graduating from Ohio State and trying to make it to NFL even though he apparently was invited to the sevens national team. Thretton Palamo was a star rugby player now trying to play college football for University of Utah, but so far failing to break into the squad. Even US national team lock Hayden Smith, playing professionally for Saracens in England, is rumored to be trying out for NFL.

it also has something to do with the salary cap of a club for example saracens have a much more hansome budget than say worcester warriors this is shown of the standard of the players. i think at the start of the season or the end the DOR is given the budget that can be spent on players from the money they have that is spare or in simple terms the profit from things e.g food/ drinks at the stadium and merchandise.

A few things to keep in mind when comparing NFL salaries to pro Rugby salaries:
Star player compared to star player per year, the NFL blows Rugby away, with the top stars making around US$20,000,000. Likewise if you consider league averages and league minimums. But the NFL has some downsides, particularly the short career length due to injuries. The other thing is that many of the rugby players being lured to the NFL are intended to be punters. This is the lowliest position on an NFL team, never earning much more than minimum wage, and playing less than 2 minutes per game. You'd be crazy to give up a job as a star flyhalf for R.C. Toulon to be a punter for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers! Here's some data, all in US$:

Average NFL player salary: $1.9 million• Median NFL player salary: $770,000
• Average NFL career length: 3.5 years
• Number of players on injured reserve in 2010: 352
• Average NFL player age: 27
Data: National Football League; National Football League Players Assn.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_06/b4214058615722.htm

Minimum wage is between $390,000 (first year players) and $925,000 (players with ten years experience or more)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/2011-2014-nfl-minimum-base-salaries/

Here is an interesting article about the significantly greater propensity for serious injury in Gridiron Football than in Rugby:
http://www.quora.com/Why-do-NFL-players-have-such-short-careers-compared-to-rugby-players

the only thing I would add is that the constant motion in Rugby diminishes the velocity of impact, as compared to the NFL, where players frequently stop, stand across the line of scrimmage from one another, assume a starting stance, and then run full-blast straight into each other. I'm not going to weigh in on the hoary debate about which sport is "tougher", as there are many ways to measure toughness. But if you're looking for the best way to get you Anterior Cruciate Ligament blown to bits, the NFL is the hands-down winner.:(

Last edited:
Is there not a cap in the Aviva premiership of £2,000,000 in total spend on 1st team wages? That would be an average salary of £67,000. Some will get more but that means others will get less. The top players seem to make their money through sponsorships.

P.S Can't get to the games at Murryfield any more (live in Norfolk) so selling my class A debentures (expire 2045).
South stand S11 seats T11 and T12. £600 each to genuine fans only please (get ready for 10 questions on Scottish rugby to prove ur a fan). They are worth about £850 each. They cost £1200 each new in 1995.

Latest posts