Rugby practice and taking care of your knee

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,

Had my first rugby practice yesterday and enjoyed it to the fullest. 90 minutes of push ups, sit ups and running and then some touch. Ideal to start an evening. The only minor point was that we had to team up with a buddy and sprint on a hill and print down the same steep hill. When I was 12 I was ran over by a car and ended up having an open tibia fracture. So my knee is still very weak. And this exercise was killing it. :mad: Any advice on how I should prepare myself for the next session or how to cope with this exercise ?

Cheers.

Sprint UP a hill, are they mad :lol:

Once a knee has been injured it stays injured to a certain extent, after I came back after a knee injury I was forced to wear one of those grips round it. It supported it but didn't do a lot in terms of contact. So that could be an avenue to explore.

I injured my knee when i was about 8 (standing on a bench, feet slipped off and I smashed the understand of my knee off of the bench dislocating it), and it still plays up every now and again. I sometimes wear a knee brace/support thing (just a tubigrip type thing from the chemist) it helps a bit in training, but it's not a miracle worker

I find that anyone wearing those knee grips is painting a big fat bullseye on an old injury...some ****** will spot it and target the knee in the contact ..;anybody ever have this issue its happend to our scrumhalf a few times

I've only ever worn them in training, i was told the exact same thing by an old coach

The difficulty here is that you have to run with a partner who ( in my case is a small forward and I'm a back) you need to run together but we have a different speed. I don't dare to go full speed as it is a team exercise and don't want to stumble over his feet and mess my knee even worse. when playing B-ball at college my knee cap sometimes blocked. And now I just wanna prevent that.

I'm afraid knee injuries will never go away, can't do anything but strap it up if you feel very uncomfortable. Ofcourse, proper warm up on that area would help dramatically.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I just have to be careful during practice.

Got some bad news from the doc. He advised me not play competition rugby and reduce the number of training sessions as my knee would get overloaded while scrumming, get tackled etc... the same goes for my left shoulder.
I can play on my own risk but then there is a change I will need an operation.

Touch rugby is acceptable as it less harmful for the knees.

Don't really know what to think/ do know.
Was really looking forward to play some rugby

Latest posts