Rugby Balls

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but after seeing the volume of complaints about Rhino's balls by Superleague players last season I feel compelled to ask.

What is the best brand you have used?
I remember liking the more rounded Adidas ones in preference to the Gilbert ones.

I vaguely remember hearing that Steedens weren't very good for spin passing?

I did try to find some stats comparing handling errors/kicking % in competitions using different brands but couldn't.

Last edited:
Rhino balls are quite good when dry but most ones I've used end up going to **** when it's wet. They're like a bar of soap. I've seen different hookers throw them when wet and it hasn't crossed the five metre line because it's gone squirting off diagonally to one side.

Must not laugh at the phrase "Rhino balls are quite good"

Too late..

My preference would be Adidas, they're a little but slimmer and I find handling them easier. Rhino is meh, their other equipment is fantastic though.

I actually really like Rhino, ive got a couple of theirs for kicking practise. Used Adidas as well, was pretty good. Can't beat a good Gilbert though.

Never had a problem with steeden, used them when I used to play league.

Gilbert is the classic, the ones we've got at my school are over pumped though so I tend not to like them as much.

I've always found that a not-quite-pumped-up Gilbert is the best for handling.

Don't forget the good old web ellis balls Wales used a few seasons ago. Great for spiral kicks. Not great for pretty much everything else...

I guess this is more of an issue in countries that plays Rugby League too...

In South Africa the sports stores only sell what the Rugby Unions play with. And since Gilbert is the official ball of the Super Rugby and Currie Cup tournaments, That's mainly what they sell and that's the type of ball our guys are used to.

You will also get Adidas balls, but mostly at Adidas stores.

As for Rhino, Kukri and others, I haven't seen any of it in a store.

Latest posts