• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ruck Speed

Nat

Academy Player
As an Australian fan, I am disturbed by how slow the ruck speed of the Wallabies is. For a pro side they are very slow and in The Rugby Championship I believe they will struggle until they fix this.:(

Loose forward trio and the half back are the key factors here.
Are the locks helping or lumbering about.
The clear out is critical. Blindside flanker and the no.8 must be helping if there is contention. Out in the midfield the centres have to get stuck in until the cavalry arrives.
Then the halfback has got to move sharply to get the ball and pass it pronto, not like Justin Marshall always taking a step or two. Get the ball and fire it out to the man running on or to the first five to swing play away.
Please note by way of explanation, English fans, this is in the chapter about Running Rugby that was censored out of the How To Play Rugby Manual publication in your country by Brian Moore.
;)
:lol:

Last edited:
Loose forward trio and the half back are the key factors here.
Are the locks helping or lumbering about.
The clear out is critical. Blindside flanker and the no.8 must be helping if there is contention. Out in the midfield the centres have to get stuck in until the cavalry arrives.
Then the halfback has got to move sharply to get the ball and pass it pronto, not like Justin Marshall always taking a step or two. Get the ball and fire it out to the man running on or to the first five to swing play away.
Please note by way of explanation, English fans, this is in the chapter about Running Rugby that was censored out of the How To Play Rugby Manual publication in your country by Brian Moore.
;)
:lol:

Ooh, that is harsh Jonesy. I though they made a real go of running rugby in the June tests, and damn near beat us at our own game.

Ruck speed for the Australians is actually very good, sub 3 seconds, usually around 2.

The issue is more that it's a very passive carry leading into the rucks. One man is normally isolated with little in the way of support, they tend to be defended by one man and go to ground almost as soon as contact is made so it sucks no defenders in. The exception being Hooper who has exceptional leg drive and keeps pumping through the contact.

What they need to do is carry in numbers - so hammer and nail. This will allow them to get through the contact and suck in additional defenders, meaning the quick ruck will result in space for the backs.

what you talking about mate? michael hooper is prob the no2 best fetcher behind mccaw... ya bite me he is is still up there... i rate Hooper higher then pocock

Latest posts