• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 10: Waratahs v Brumbies

Originally posted by sambãd5+Apr 17 2006, 10:07 PM-->
Originally posted by sanzar@Apr 17 2006, 11:02 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-toothpick
@Apr 17 2006, 09:01 PM
I sincerely hope Gasnier doesn't come to union. I don't think he will do a whole lot, not like Tuqiri. He will find it difficult in defence and I can't see him troubling players like Nonu, Mortlock etc. Sure its ok when he plays people like Berrigan who are twice as small as him but with bigger men running at him I think he will struggle. The bad thing is that it looks almost certain that he will switch. I hope it doesn't and if it does, I hope he plays trash and never sees a Wallaby jumper.

Ok against smaller men? You don't watch much league I'm guessing... Mate Gasnier will be dynamite in Union just like he is in League! It'll probably take him a little bit to get used to, but his running game is 10 times better than motlocks and is also big enough to take care of himself in defence (seriously, league players are generally better in defence because they have to do so much more of it!). If Gas comes to union, then Mortlock can say goodbye to his hold on his wallabies jersey ;) .
has he even signed a contract yet? how far is the deal down the track? any confirmation? how soon? he will play 13 right?

hang on, is SOO coming up? [/b]
Yeah, not too far now.
But no, Gas hasn't signed the contract, but inside sources say it's all but a done deal... And yeah, he'll play 13, so Turinui is gonna cop a demotion and the Tah's will become an even better attacking unite :D . Seriously, anyone who has seen what Gas can create with just the tiniest bit of space would be excited about him coming to union.

Originally posted by sanzar+Apr 17 2006, 11:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-toothpick
@Apr 17 2006, 09:01 PM
I sincerely hope Gasnier doesn't come to union. I don't think he will do a whole lot, not like Tuqiri. He will find it difficult in defence and I can't see him troubling players like Nonu, Mortlock etc. Sure its ok when he plays people like Berrigan who are twice as small as him but with bigger men running at him I think he will struggle. The bad thing is that it looks almost certain that he will switch. I hope it doesn't and if it does, I hope he plays trash and never sees a Wallaby jumper.
Ok against smaller men? You don't watch much league I'm guessing... Mate Gasnier will be dynamite in Union just like he is in League! It'll probably take him a little bit to get used to, but his running game is 10 times better than motlocks and is also big enough to take care of himself in defence (seriously, league players are generally better in defence because they have to do so much more of it!). If Gas comes to union, then Mortlock can say goodbye to his hold on his wallabies jersey ;) . [/b]
He plays against the likes of Berrigan, Matai and Carmont! They are small aren't they? His running games consists of catching the ball, standing still to put the defence in two minds then offloading. His running game has nothing on RU centres. Do you watch rugby? Have you seen the likes of O'Driscoll, Nonu and Mortlock. They are all powerhouse runners. They don't have time to stand still and shimmy. They put the head down and run at 100mph.

Again, league defense isn't a whole lot better than union. The only reason why there aren't as many fallen off tackles is because of gang-tackling. In every tackle there are at least 2 men in there. usually, one man holds them by the jumper and clings on while the other comes over the top and completes the tackle. RU consists of much more one on one. Next week watch some league games and see how many times there is a clean oneon one tackle without a second player. See what happens to a solitary defender before a second man comes in.

Gasnier will be like Sailor, good in some facets but ordinary in most. He won't make an impact and will now have the same value as Tuqiri. He will be eaten alive.

Originally posted by toothpick+Apr 17 2006, 10:41 PM-->
He plays against the likes of Berrigan, Matai and Carmont! They are small aren't they? His running games consists of catching the ball, standing still to put the defence in two minds then offloading. His running game has nothing on RU centres. Do you watch rugby? Have you seen the likes of O'Driscoll, Nonu and Mortlock. They are all powerhouse runners. They don't have time to stand still and shimmy. They put the head down and run at 100mph.
[/b]
I seriously don't think you watch rugby league aye, not judging by this comment.
In league your forwards aren't tied up in the rucks half the game, so he's not only taking on his opposite numbers all the time, he takes on the big men too.

Originally posted by toothpick@Apr 17 2006, 10:41 PM

RU consists of much more one on one.
I know, which is why I think he'll be so effective! In attack in a one on one situation in space, he'll make breaks every time! Just like Sailor ran around mortlock on Sunday! Only Gas is a lot better than Sailor at it.

<!--QuoteBegin-toothpick
@Apr 17 2006, 10:41 PM

Gasnier will be like Sailor, good in some facets but ordinary in most. He won't make an impact and will now have the same value as Tuqiri. He will be eaten alive.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see... but I remember hearing this sort of crap when Rogers originally came over, it all depends on Gas, if he can adapt he'll be dynamite, if he can't he'll be another Sailor (who, incedently has been having one heck of a season so far!).

Latest posts