Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
Date: 17th November
Time: 3pm
Venue: Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington
TV: Premier Sports

The most open of the quarter finals, both teams will rip into each other as they attempt to make a semi final clash with the much fancied Kangaroos. I'll be there to see who comes out on top.

Lucky you Saints as I know this one will be great.

I'm expecting a close, physical and a very entertaining match.

I'm very lucky in that two of the quarters and the final are pretty much all less than 15 miles away. The Australia vs Fiji game at St Helens was literally 15 minutes walk away, almost round the corner.

I think Samoa will win but it will be a tough game. And Australia are in for a tough game in the semi final.

Can't wait for this, forecast to be very cold today and I am looking forward to what should be a very intense game of rugby.

Should be a good game.
Going for Fiji on this one, for the Millard/Catalans connection.

Fiji going well so far. 8 - 0 up after 30ish mins, just held out Samoa from a couple of repeated sets right on their try line.

Last edited:
Very disspointed by Samoa I picked them to win, but they aren't gettign anywhere in attack, very simple combinations that the Fijian defence is easily stifling. Their open field kicking has done nothing either. Good on Fiji though, making the semi's as the fourth team is a great acheivement, hopefully they make Oz work for a win in the semi's at the very least.

Very proud of Fiji :) I thought Samoa were gonna win too after their effort against NZ. But Fiji played the smarter game spreading the ball around. Koroibete should have been man of the match imo

Glad Fiji are gonna get a chance in the 4 nations. Two semi finals in a row

Last edited:
Well, well, well.

I had nothing down for Fiji today but they totally deserved to win. Samoa weren't at their best by any means but the Fijians tackled like demons and did the key thing - took their chances. That's what you've got to do. I do wonder how much that win will take out of the Fijians but they deserve nothing but praise, well done to them. I just hope they make their semi final a closer game than the group match.

As for Samoa... what can you say? It all went wrong, nothing went right. If it was a league game, you'd shrug your shoulders and say "we'll deal with it next week" but they'll have to wait 4 years and they may not be in a position where they're this good again. They'll feel terribly, terribly disappointed. USA, Scotland and France won't be that downtrodden. They were overwhelmingly not expected to win. I don't know one person who thought Samoa would lose this match.

I'm not so sure that Australia vs. Fiji in the semi is what's best for business but the Fijians are there because they've put in a superb defensive display. They'll need to do more of the same next week - and I look forward to that immensely.

I had Fiji winning, on paper they are a better team. Plenty of talent and they showed it. They are going to struggle against the Kangaroo's again though, none of the other minnows would do any better though the Kangaroo's are just way too classy.

I don't see how Samoa would have been any better than Fiji for business lol, look at the team sheet. They pretty much only have Milford and Leilua who would be considered stars, maybe you could add Masoe. Compare that to Civoniceva, Tariq Sim's, Uate and Sisa Waqa plus other talents. I suppose you could argue we have already seen this game in Pool play, but we've already seen the Kangaroo's beat England as well.

Wales might have attracted a bit more interest in the UK but they showed how weak they are by not winning a game.

People have flocked to see Samoa though. I mean from a financial standpoint, not on the pitch. Ultimately the semi final is a double header with the England humiliation to the Kiwis on first so the attendance will be a double headed one anyway and therefore my "best for business" comment is largely irrelevant at this stage.

As for the teams being better on paper, I'm not so sure. I had Samoa down as being superior and more likely to trouble the Australians than Fiji will (or indeed did a few weeks ago) but they're there on merit. They honestly caught me off guard, I was sure Samoa would win a tough game. It was definitely tough - the Fijian defence was fierce and it forced the Samoans into mistake after mistake.

I wish them nothing but luck against the Kangaroos. I'm sure it will be better conditions in the game at Langtree Park a few weeks ago but I would expect the Aussies to overpower them in the end - and there's no shame in that.

Last edited:
Fiji was way too good. Uate and Koroibete are the best wingers in the comp. When Civonecva and Sims take a breather, Uate and Koroibete take over the go forward. There's nothing like Fijian wingers.

Our guys can hold their heads up high, very proud of the Toa. They failed to put up a decent game against the Fijians as the Fijian defence was tight. Like I said, never been happy with our halves and our last tackle options and I still feel that way now.

I'll be backing the Fijians to take the Roos. We all know how much of a mission it will be for them but hopefully they can overcome what seems to be impossible.

Latest posts