• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Right wing terrorist attack in NZ

Unfortunately mass shootings happen every few months here in America. I'm surprised that it happened in New Zealand. It's a very sad situation and I wish everyone down there well. Peace.

Last edited:
Really shocked I'm not surprised it's happened just never thought it would NZ and to this scale.

The GoPro footage sickens me further.

Australian Senator Fraser Anning has blamed the terrorist attacks on immigration into New Zealand and Australia, "invaders coming in and changing our culture". Ironic though that it is in fact the white, Christian man who is the true invader to those countries.

Just checked Anning out online and he wants to abolise same-sex marriage and stop Muslims getting into parliament. Seems like a right arse.

Jesus Christ. Last place on earth I thought this would happen. All sorts of bizarre details emerging about the Scum shooter now. He was trying to start a race war. Media shouldn't give him the satisfaction of airing his agenda.
Stay safe Kiwis. Avoid that footage of the shootings it's absolutely sickening.

Really shocked I'm not surprised it's happened just never thought it would NZ and to this scale.

The GoPro footage sickens me further.
I caught about 10 seconds of it before realising what was going on and closing the page (it was stupid o'clock and I wasn't thinking straight).

I will NEVER knowingly open any link to news.com.au, Aussie Sky News or Aussie Channel 10 ever again.
Seriously, 2 of those are (apparently) shown live in public places like train stations. So yeah, kids getting him from school by train were exposed to that livestream!

Quite honestly, those channels need their broadcasting licences revoked!

Last edited:
I caught about 10 seconds of it before realising what was going on and closing the page (it was stupid o'clock and I wasn't thinking straight).

I will NEVER knowingly open any link to news.com.au, Aussie Sky News or Aussie Channel 10 ever again.
Seriously, 2 of those are (apparently) shown live in public places like train stations. So yeah, kids getting him from school by train were exposed to that livestream!

Quite honestly, those channels need their broadcasting licences revoked!

Fair few newspapers here have put up clips too - Mirror, Sun etc. Absolutely mental that they can get away with showing it.

My sister is a journalist and always kicks off about this, especially as even if you miss it on the news sites, it's only a matter of time before it filters onto your Twitter / Facebook feeds where most people will likely have auto-play enabled.

My thoughts go out to everyone affected in NZ.

I read that the Bangladeshi cricket team are touring NZ atm and had just arrived at one of the mosques when the scumbag opened fire, and they narrowly avoided any casualties...

Tonight's Highlanders v Crusaders match has been cancelled.

This is a very poorly thought out decision IMO, not because of any sporting reasons, but because when you change aspects of your life because of what terrorists have done, the terrorists win.

just re the game being cancelledi have to add, im pretty shaken up (lived in chch until about 2 years ago) so i can only imagine how shaken up the crusaders might be, how many of them might have kids that were in lockdown, that they couldn't get to, my niece was in lock down and i was lucky enough to have my mum their helping at the time so she had someone their to explain what was going on
as much as people are charging in on social media and yelling that its letting the terrorist win (same with the notion of the saders changing their name, the team is more than a name)....its only a game, its a pretty small sacrifice at a time like this, im happy enough it was call off

I think it is easy to be desensitised to mass shootings because of how frequent they are in the US and the reasonable expectation that there will be another one just around the corner there. But when they happen in places with intelligent gun control legislation and low gun crime levels like New Zealand (or Scotland with the shooting in Dunblane) then it really does have the potential to shock on a profound level. So I think cancelling a sports fixture is understandable (although I'd have had no objection to it going ahead as it would have been 7 days later). I really wouldn't want any fan, team owner or player to feel guilty for "giving in".

I've long said i'd prefer the Highlanders we names "Otago Southland RFU" with the Southland "S" inside the Otago "O" for a logo, think it would be classic

I actually started yesterday neither one way or the other on it, I was "its just a name" and i think that can be used to argue for either side, "its just a name" so why does it matter if its changed surely the team is more than a name....or..."its just a name" so how can it be so offensive.

but seeing the outcry of people getting so upset about a sports teams name, not even the team its self but the name makes me think some people need a reality check on whats important in life. A guy i had a brief argument with on facebook was saying "these PC fairys are worse than the terrorists"...and people were agreeing with him...it just made me so sad

Last edited:
I found it eerie watching him casually drive away listening to Fire like it was nothing. Such a sad state of affairs.

Latest posts