• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Regional Representative Teams Eligibility (Rugby Union)

Abram Jones

Academy Player
I have a major question about eligibility for players for various provinces/regions in history. If you have any information regarding the following countries please chime in. This topic mainly deals with teams before the professional era. My purpose for requesting this information is that I am compiling a list of all matches that use players from specific regions be they counties, provinces, states, countries, historic territories, etc.

Generally there are several types of eligibility for teams representing geographical eras, most of these are: player's birth location or location they grew up in, player's citizenship (in cases of national teams), player's residence, location of player's youth club, location of player's first senior club, and location of player's current club.

I'll start with Australia. As I understand Australia provincial Rugby Union teams have generally been composed of players based on their original or current senior club. This is in contrast to a certain era of Aussie Rules provincial teams that used players birthplace.

New Zealand: Is this the same situation for New Zealand as it is for Australia?

South Africa: What about teams used for the Currie Cup and other such competitions before the professional era, how was player selection determined?

Canada: For the Ontario and British Columbia teams, what was their situation before going professional?

England: From the limited information I could find, England counties used only players originally from the county until the professional era, can anyone verify this?

Argentina: I have not been able to find any information on how Argentina determines requirements for their provincial teams.

United States: As I understand, the USA South team only used players that are originally from the represented southern states. Is this true? And if so, is this the only representative side that still only uses players from the location?

Last edited:

Latest posts