• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Refereeing in the ITM Cup

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
The Super Rugby referees were very strict (and in my opinion correct) on the tackle ball situation, whereby the tackler must show daylight before trying to steal the ball.

I've noticed this is refereed far less strictly in the ITM Cup and in fact in the tests we've had so far this year. The NH refs clearly had different instructions to the SH refs, which is a bit disappointing, but I don't see why this is occuring at ITM Cup level?

Thoughts?

The Super Rugby referees were very strict (and in my opinion correct) on the tackle ball situation, whereby the tackler must show daylight before trying to steal the ball.

I've noticed this is refereed far less strictly in the ITM Cup and in fact in the tests we've had so far this year. The NH refs clearly had different instructions to the SH refs, which is a bit disappointing, but I don't see why this is occuring at ITM Cup level?

Thoughts?

Just to clarify, its not the "tackler" who has to show a clear release (except of course, that he has to release the tackled player before getting to his feet).

Tacklers: Must release the tackled player on the ground, then get to their feet in order to play the ball, which they can do from any direction, i.e. they don't have to go through the gate.

Tackle Assists: Must clearly release the tackled player, then go around through the gate before playing the ball. Even if already standing in the gate, they must clearly release the tackled player.

All other players: Must enter the tackle zone through the gate before playing the ball.

What is not being enforced consistently is the "Tackle Assist" clearly releasing the tackled player.

Just to clarify, its not the "tackler" who has to show a clear release (except of course, that he has to release the tackled player before getting to his feet).

Tacklers: Must release the tackled player on the ground, then get to their feet in order to play the ball, which they can do from any direction, i.e. they don't have to go through the gate.

Tackle Assists: Must clearly release the tackled player, then go around through the gate before playing the ball. Even if already standing in the gate, they must clearly release the tackled player.

All other players: Must enter the tackle zone through the gate before playing the ball.

What is not being enforced consistently is the "Tackle Assist" clearly releasing the tackled player.

Even that bolded part isn't being adhered to strictly, or at least not as strictly as it was in Super Rugby.

Latest posts