• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pacific Nations Cup

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Only a couple weeks until the Pacific Nations Cup ... odd name for a competition including the USA and Canada, but hey, they didn't ask me.

NBC Sports Gold has agreed to show all these games, so I'm psyched. Any Americans on the East Coast looking to organize viewing parties of some kind?

I'm very curious to see how we fare this time around... are we considered the favorites at this point? Or maybe Fiji?

Only a couple weeks until the Pacific Nations Cup ... odd name for a competition including the USA and Canada, but hey, they didn't ask me.

NBC Sports Gold has agreed to show all these games, so I'm psyched. Any Americans on the East Coast looking to organize viewing parties of some kind?

I'm very curious to see how we fare this time around... are we considered the favorites at this point? Or maybe Fiji?

So if this is Japan, Fiji, States, Samoa, Tonga and Canada... I think the first three teams I mentioned have all got a chance of the win. Do you know if these games will be on the World Rugby site, I'd be quite up for watching some of this?

It's not really a competition but a set of tests.

Everyone plays 3 games and their's no grand final.

I don't know why we are playing Canada, we already have a fixture with them right before Japan.

I feel confident going up against Canada and Samoa but I think japan will give us difficulty. It's really all dependent on AJ though. If he's on fire I think we can upset everyone bar all blacks. It's a 1% chance but it's a chance.

It depends who gets their players from the clubs. But could be a pretty even competition.

The Pacific ocean is on their west coast so technically they are a pacific nation.

Do you know if these games will be on the World Rugby site, I'd be quite up for watching some of this?
I'm afraid I don't know, I only saw the announcement about the NBC Sports app carrying it because I'm already paying for it lol

It depends who gets their players from the clubs. But could be a pretty even competition.
It does seem like it, right? I don't see any of these teams very far ahead or behind any other, could mean a very exciting "set of tests," as themole25 accurately pointed out, though, as it's called the Pacific Nations Cup, I do believe there's an actual cup awarded, yes?

So if this is Japan, Fiji, States, Samoa, Tonga and Canada... I think the first three teams I mentioned have all got a chance of the win. Do you know if these games will be on the World Rugby site, I'd be quite up for watching some of this?

I'm pretty sure I read that the games will be shown on the World Rugby website.

this was the setup of the comp when I first got into rugby so I'm glad to see it back.

Having ARC in spring, PNC in Summer, and a tour of Europe in fall would be a great international calendar for us.

hopefully Tonga looks weak cause I'm hoping to snag a win in Japan

this was the setup of the comp when I first got into rugby so I'm glad to see it back.

Having ARC in spring, PNC in Summer, and a tour of Europe in fall would be a great international calendar for us.

hopefully Tonga looks weak cause I'm hoping to snag a win in Japan

The ARC is being moved to August in the near future, but I agree, I'd like to see the PNC continue every year. All the teams in it are very even and I'd say that any of the teams except Samoa or Canada could win it. It'll be interesting to see how the USA get on after a disappointing ARC earlier on in the year and whether or not Canada have improved after the Toronto Arrows' first season in the MLR. Japan are the ones I'm most looking forward to seeing. No one knows what form their players are in going into the tournament as none of the first choice players played super rugby at all this season in favour of training. Tonga always do well with what they've got and Fiji will be Fiji and play some rugby.
Exciting tournament!

I'm afraid I don't know, I only saw the announcement about the NBC Sports app carrying it because I'm already paying for it lol

It does seem like it, right? I don't see any of these teams very far ahead or behind any other, could mean a very exciting "set of tests," as themole25 accurately pointed out, though, as it's called the Pacific Nations Cup, I do believe there's an actual cup awarded, yes?

Yep, caps awarded in this game. Only games that caps aren't always awarded are against Barbarians and sometimes 'XV'/B teams. Some countries elect to award caps for those games though.

On a side note, Fiji are playing the Māori All Blacks on Saturday so that'd be a good game to watch (if it wasn't at 4am!!)

Yep, caps awarded in this game
Sorry, I was asking about an actual cup, as in, trophy to be raised by the victors. Themole25 had said,
It's not really a competition but a set of tests. Everyone plays 3 games and their's no grand final.
so I was trying to figure out if there is a "winner," or if it's just a "Hey, good job, boys," kinda thing. :)

Personally think, what with the Nations Cup sailing down the swanny, that the Pacific Nations Cup should 'lock in' these nations (& maybe Georgia) and make a proper annual tourney out of this.

I get there being a limited number of games in a RWC year but during the other three years of a cycle, these teams should be playing against all other teams within the championship rather than just 3 games (2 games some years). I know I'd watch it and I reckon quite a few other rugby fans around the world would at least tune in for a couple of games a year.

Can anyone tell me if this is the expected attendance, or did this monsoon keep people away?

Will be hard to Tonga with two yellow carded ten minutes to go.

Messiest game I've ever seen, but still exciting... Were Samoa favorites heading into this test?

Latest posts