• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ most promising option at inside centre. Francis Saili, Bundee Aki or Ryan Crotty

jessta

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Blues
hey all, this is my first post

I am just very interested to see whether you agree/ disagree with the All Blacks selectors that Francis Saili is our most promising prospect at inside center. Dont get me wrong, I am a big fan of Saili and think he is an excitement machine. He is the sort of player that puts you on the edge of your seat every time he touches the ball and he has had an excellent super rugby campaign (although he still needs some defensive work). I do believe how ever that Bundee Aki and Ryan Crotty have also been very impressive, both having great seasons too. Ryan Crotty also is equally good at outside center as he is at second five, adding versatility to his game. Crotty has also been solid over the past couple of season and personally would be my choice to push Nonu for his All Blacks spot. With three exceptional young centers, who deserves the call up?

Welcome to the forums :)

Crotty doesn't offer anything extra to me - he's a good Super Rugby player, but if he's the top centre in the country then we've done something wrong.

Francis Saili to me is the future - he needs a bit more time, obviously, but he has all the skills required of a top level 12. He can kick, run, pass and tackle well, he just needs to sort out his positioning. I don't think any other second fives in the country possesses as diverse a skill set as he does.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums :)

Crotty doesn't offer anything extra to me - he's a good Super Rugby player, but if he's the top centre in the country then we've done something wrong.

Francis Saili to me is the future - he needs a bit more time, obviously, but he has all the skills required of a top level 12. He can kick, run, pass and tackle well, he just needs to sort out his positioning. I don't think any other second fives in the country possesses as diverse a skill set as he does.

Agree. The next 2nd 5/8th in NZ may be irrelevant anyway, as as soon as SBW comes back he'll be rushed back into the All Blacks like hes the second coming, and if thats next season (will probably be the season after, closer to the RWC where he'll still be guarenteed a spot). I agree Saili has far more potential than Crotty.

Saili is definitely the best option, the selectors didn't really leave room to have extra mid fielders in the squad by carrying 3 players to cover each position hooker, 9 and 10

I also think Andrew Horrell should be mentioned with these guys. he did have a long injury stretch this season but came back fairly strong. He's just one of those players that just seems a natural. He will always play better than you expect, has all the skills.

Crotty I don't think is up to it, certainly not as good as the other two. I liked the way Aki progressed as the season went on, he improved I thought. Saili has probably the bigger range of skills so will be the first in line but I'd have Aki close behind him.

I agree with Larksea on Horrell, I'd definitely have him above Crotty on my pecking order, purely because he plays 12 and 15 very well, and could cover the other spots decently - he has the perfect skillset as the ultimate utility back.

The best center in NZ at the moment is Rene Ranger, currently above Nonu and Conrad Smith. Unfortunately we know what happened to him. Right now the best option is Francis Saili.

Regards

... they'll probably give B.Smith a start in the centres at some stage, although he would probably be wasted there - it should be interesting to see if the ITM cup turns up any new centres for the super franchises to try.

I agree that the old school of Nonu and C.Smith, along with SBW, will probably be the centres at the RWC 2015 ... a shame that Ranger and Kahui are gone