• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"No-Ruck" tactics

I've seen it used plenty of times as a one-off; including at RWC15 (Fiji IIRC); the Prem, and Super rugby.

It's value is in surprise; and it's about as effective, and about as common as standing off the line-out refusing to allow the maul to form.
It only worked that well against England because our captain, and Haskell (at the very least; a few others as well apparently) simply didn't get it, even when explained to them in words of one syllable. Obviously, it all changed once Eddie had had a word. Personally, I was absolutely furious that an international captain doesn't seem to know the diffrence between a tackle and a ruck.
I can perfectly accept that they've not seen it used before; I doubt that these guys watch much rugby that they isn't replays of themselves; and occassional specific moves by opponents; but they've probably seen it before and just told themselves that the ref had made a mistake, rather than understanding what was actually happening.

As a tactic, it works when used sparingly, but should be relatively easily negated by a side with brains - it worked for 40 minutes against England because we didn't even understand what was happening, and without that, can't hope to come up with a counter on the hoof. The counter was obviously (to me) worked out by the coaches, and easily coached into the players at HT, and from then on, it was pretty much one-way traffic.

Last edited:
I've seen it used plenty of times as a one-off; including at RWC15 (Fiji IIRC); the Prem, and Super rugby.

It's value is in surprise; and it's about as effective, and about as common as standing off the line-out refusing to allow the maul to form.
It only worked that well against England because our captain, and Haskell (at the very least; a few others as well apparently) simply didn't get it, even when explained to them in words of one syllable. Obviously, it all changed once Eddie had had a word. Personally, I was absolutely furious that an international captain doesn't seem to know the diffrence between a tackle and a ruck.
I can perfectly accept that they've not seen it used before; I doubt that these guys watch much rugby that they isn't replays of themselves; and occassional specific moves by opponents; but they've probably seen it before and just told themselves that the ref had made a mistake, rather than understanding what was actually happening.

+1

I think it's highlighted something I've thought for a long time, that was recently brought up by Ben Ryan.

I get the feeling that there's not a great deal of development that goes on after a player's talent has been identified, either in terms of skill or knowledge of the game.*
I think it's improving, but a lot of guys who are senior players now, seem to have gotten by purely on talent.

*I hasten to add that I'm moderately hopeful that this is changing in England, as evidenced by our recent success at age grade level.

Can't believe people are encouraging it personally. It's terrible to watch and as someone who plays, I'm worried that teams will be copying it next weekend. The ball is never going to go five yards wider than the ruck. You can't have a quick ruck every time and you can't pass the ball when there are guys stood in your line. Totally boring to watch.

I disagree, what was terrible to watch was how **** we were at handling it. It didn't need to be quick ball to be used as pick and go, the defenders cannot come within the tackle area so forwards can still make a pod and drive forward with the aim of either making quite easy 'hard' yards or of forcing the defenders to commit to the ruck, and thereby 'earning the right to go wide'. I have no problem watching the forwards grind up the middle from a sequence of rucks as eventually it sucks opponents in, and don't really see the difference of watching them do it from non-rucks.

The more I think about it, the more I think it was Tonga Vs New Zealand. My connection isn't strong enough to find the video though.

Owens being quite blunt about the complaints from the English camp given his own experiences in the far more tactically advanced Pro12.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/owens-surprised-by-englands-reaction/

I think it is good for referees to have their say on so called "controversies", but far better if done anonymously through the refs association or World Rugby rather than an individual ref sticking their neck out.

Agreed - nothing contraversial, and it looks like he answered a direct question in an interview. Not really sure what else he's supposed to do.