• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next Scotland Head Coach

Saltire Caley fan

Academy Player
With it looking increasingly likely that dud Townsend will be sacked after the 6N due to a third abysmal competition and his falling out with Finn Russell, the question is, who realistically will be interested or touted as his replacement?

I think Richard Cockerill would be a good shout and the normal names such as Nick Mallett will be mentioned as possible contenders.

For me, it has to be a SH coach and the only realistic options there are, Scott Robertson or Wayne Smith.

Scotland are an average side, the sooner accepted, the better.
They don't have the player depth to sustain consistency at the highest level.
Each to their own though.

I want to be Scotland's next head coach. I'm of Scottish ancestry and I've been there and like it very much. Sign me up!

150px-Scottish_rugby_logo.svg.png

Last edited:
Sacking Townsend would be harsh, they were good against us and competitive against England (in conditions that it would be stupid to judge in anyway). See how the rest of the tournament goes before getting rid of him. Sooner Scotland accept that they've got by a distance the fifth most talented squad the better, unrealistic expectations don't get anyone anywhere.

The Finn Russell stuff is Finn Russell's fault and his alone. Shouldn't have any bearing on Townsend's future.

If Scotland do go for a new coach, Cheika or Cockerill would both be genuinely good choices, would give Scotland the steel they need.

Should never have got rid of Vern Cotter.

So they should offer him the job again. Doubt he'd take it though after the SRU fukked up last time*.

*which means your bound to be worth a million quid a year eh Dobson?

3rd abysmal competition?

2018, 3 wins joint 3rd place on points, 1st win versus England in a decade. Great tournament.
2019, only 1 win but a draw at Twickenham where they have not won since 1983, slightly above average tournament.

Abysmal for Scotland is 6th place with no wins, 5th is par and there is no reason they can't win their final 3 matches.

3rd abysmal competition?

2018, 3 wins joint 3rd place on points, 1st win versus England in a decade. Great tournament.
2019, only 1 win but a draw at Twickenham where they have not won since 1983, slightly above average tournament.

Abysmal for Scotland is 6th place with no wins, 5th is par and there is no reason they can't win their final 3 matches.
They do need improvement rather than consistency though. I'd say Townsend needs to win his next three, otherwise he's had one good six nations and what, one good result outside of Murrayfield in three seasons?

Scotland don't have the players to be contenders but I don't see why they couldn't be at the level of Ireland in the first half of the 2000's. Contesting but never winning championships and picking off Aus and SA semi regularly.

They do need improvement rather than consistency though. I'd say Townsend needs to win his next three, otherwise he's had one good six nations and what, one good result outside of Murrayfield in three seasons?

Scotland don't have the players to be contenders but I don't see why they couldn't be at the level of Ireland in the first half of the 2000's. Contesting but never winning championships and picking off Aus and SA semi regularly.
That's a fair argument, I'd say 2 wins out of 3 would be enough we have to remember that 2017/18 were outstanding years in terms of Scotland, I'd like to see them regularly at their level and that the consistency they should be aiming for 2-3 wins per season. Once that's a regular affair (three years in a row as opposed to two and dropping just short) jump to 3-4 wins after that. They need consistency then improvement they got improvement and not consistency and their fans want even more improvement on that!

Anyway I was objecting to Townsend previous two shots being called abysmal rather than Scotland not showing enough go forward in recent years.

3rd abysmal competition?

A fair assessment, and it could be said they played the toughest 2 teams first. Losing bonus point in both games so its not necessarily a disaster territory.

Latest posts