National Black Dog Day

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
Apparently, today is national black dog day, to raise awareness that it is becoming ever harder to find homes for black pets - especially dogs for some reason. Partially due to superstitions about black animals, but mostly because black pets are considered unphotogenic - that's right, they're not instagram friendly!

So f*** that, let's see you black dogs!
Here's my Gunniess-daughter, in all her inability to look good in photos
IMG_20191001_171856_513.jpg IMG_20191001_171856_522.jpg IMG_20191001_171856_515.jpg IMG_20191001_171856_521.jpg IMG_20191001_171856_517.jpg

Last edited:
Ridiculous and colourist against black Pets.
But also sadly true. Our daughter works at a vet and has seen this first hand, although more with cats.

Back to our hound. His mum was a normal golden retriever, but his dad was an enormous black Alsatian. We're used to big dogs, but we took a step back when he bounded over to meet us. He was lovely though and I'd have had him like a shot if he'd been available. I do like a shepherd, but they suffer hip problems as they get older and health / longevity was the main reason we went for a cross. Touching wood here, but he's coming up to 10 and he's only ever been to the vet for his booster jabs and an upset stomach.

But also sadly true. Our daughter works at a vet and has seen this first hand, although more with cats.

Back to our hound. His mum was a normal golden retriever, but his dad was an enormous black Alsatian. We're used to big dogs, but we took a step back when he bounded over to meet us. He was lovely though and I'd have had him like a shot if he'd been available. I do like a shepherd, but they suffer hip problems as they get older and health / longevity was the main reason we went for a cross. Touching wood here, but he's coming up to 10 and he's only ever been to the vet for his booster jabs and an upset stomach.
Yep - I've seen it too, volunteering at the local animal shelter (and yes, I'm not sure why they chose to emphasise dogs over cats, but hey - maybe they'll do both). I love the idea, and fully support those who rehome / rescue animals - but I've seen too many with behavioural problems; I want to train up from pup / kit, and to know that they're first 8-10 weeks were happy and safe.

I've got cross breeds for exactly the same reason - Guinness (above) is Newfoundland x GSH Pointer; Talkisker (above as a pup) is Leonberger x Bernese Mountain; and both cats are farmyard "leftovers"

We're looking at getting a cat soon and we are specifically avoiding getting a black one ... nothing to do with photos though, it's because there are already countless black cats on our street, so this clearly doesn't apply in our area!

Loving the names WT!

We'd always said we'd call a black dog Zinzan (all black....). But when we saw the dad we both said that he was more bear than dog so Yogi it was (not original, there are 8 Yogis registered at our vet including a beautiful ridgeback).

We have four cats at the moment. Previous moggies have been named Twickenham and Lansdowne.

Latest posts