Michael Cheika quits as Wallabies coach

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
Oita - Wallabies coach Michael Cheika quit on Sunday after their humiliating Rugby World Cup quarter-final exit against England, drawing the curtain on a five-year reign that started strongly but ended in criticism and disappointment.

The 52-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the year, had previously indicated he would not reapply for his job if they failed to win the tournament.

After testily refusing to comment on his plans in the immediate aftermath of their 40-16 defeat to Eddie Jones' England, Cheika confirmed it was his last game in charge.

"I put my chips in earlier in the year, I told people no win, no play," he told reporters in Oita.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2019/breaking-cheika-quits-as-wallabies-coach-20191020

I know there are names being suggested, but rather than who, what does Australia need?

They need someone who has a clear plan and can develop a winning style for Australia. However more importantly a coach who will be consistent with his selections and identifies the players who will deliver his game plan. Cheika wasn't consistent enough and it showed with inconsistent performances and players not able to play effectively enough with the tactics and not able to might the right decisions to support those tactics. Australia have some excellent backs, a strong pack than previously, but no real cohesion across the whole team. They are more similar to France and playing as lots of individuals or small groups that occasionally click together.

I reckon Schmidt would have an aneurism trying to implement one of his game plans in Aussie players.

True to his word at least. I wonder who will snap him up? Can't see him taking a Super Rugby post.

Montpellier are looking for a replacement to Cotter

Montpellier are looking for a replacement to Cotter
Cheika would be a good candidate as national selector here. He ticks more boxes than Galthié does. Fabien is a very good technician but Cheika has the test experience.

A real character of world rugby that spoke his mind, will be missed on the international stage.

Love or hate him.

Cheika would be a good candidate as national selector here. He ticks more boxes than Galthié does. Fabien is a very good technician but Cheika has the test experience.

Would he make himself available though? Seems to me that when coaches usually end their agreement of a national team after a World Cup, they tend to take some time off from coaching.

Cheika as I recall is a wealthy individual - making his money outside rugby - own online fashion business. So was doing the Wallabies job for the love of it, not the money. Now he's gone he can take all the time off he needs. Could make a lively pundit.

Wasn't there an issue with Scott Johnson was the SRU as well in a similar position? Guy seems to like getting the top jobs out of the limelight.

Wasn't there an issue with Scott Johnson was the SRU as well in a similar position? Guy seems to like getting the top jobs out of the limelight.

Not that I can remember, didn't Johnson go straight from head coach to DoR at Scotland? He and Vern coincided with a huge upturn in Scottish fortunes so I'd be surprised if there was much friction there but my memory isn't all it used to be.

I don't think Cheika had a bust up with Johnson from what I read. I hate it at work when some fundamental process I think is working fine gets changed without convincing me of the merit of that change. That is usually time to go and get a new job for your own motivation and satisfaction. It doesn't mean the person making the change is an idiot or even that the change itself is stupid or malicious.

The combination of Jamie Joseph and Tony Brown might be a very good fit for Australia. Japan had running rugby and played with intelligence. Both attributes which are central to how Australia usually play.

But they will never coach their neighbours. Brown said as much.

Latest posts