• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mame

Shovenose

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Anyone here into the old arcade classics? I have managed to build up a working collection of over 1700 games. I found this great program called rom fixers which tells you and search for rooms that are split and merge them making the games work that did not want to run previously.

Yeh MAME is great. There's newer version too where you can play 2player or more games online (eg StreetFighter, Gauntlet etc). And some of the more high tech games like Sega Rally etc.

Have emulators for pretty much everything on this machine (N64, BBC Micro, Atari ST, Spectrum, Commodore 64, Sega Megadrive, Sega CD, Sega 32X, 3DO and lots more). Also I bought the Daphne emulator which gives you the LaserDisc games, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace etc and they are great... although hard-ish to setup at first!

Shocking to think we used to pay 50 quid odd for say a N64 cartridge and you download them and they are just 10mb but looked so good back in the day.

But yeh MAME is superb, a fantastic nostalgia trip. As a kid I always wished for an arcade in the house and this is flawless :p

For those looking for MAME it can be downloaded here

Windows:
MAME 0.146 (64-bit) [Version: 0.146] Size: 16M
MAME 0.146 (Command Line) [Version: 0.146] Size: 14M
MAME 0.146 (i686 Optimized) [Version: 0.146] Size: 15M

The Roms can be found here

ROMs » M.A.M.E. - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

For your rom management this is the best one to use

RomCenter 3.6.3

There will be many different versions of a game. Look for the one with the biggest size. Otherwise download them all. Most of them are small except the newer games with the CHD images. Then copy the rom to your rom directory in MAME. Just run RomCenter and if its your first time running it then choose the create new option from the file menu and direct it to the path of your MAME exe. Then under roms choose add path then direct it to the ROM directory. Click on the refresh and it will start to see which roms are working and what files are needed. So those roms with different names and files needed by others it will fix for you.

Just one tip. In MAME you will see games in red. They are marked as not working. That means they are not working because they haven't fixed the emulation yet to let those work. SO do not bother downloading any of those roms for them. The games you need a gun for you can use the mouse which works better than the gun.

For the cheats for most games you can download it here.

XML Cheat Collection for MAME 0.145 [ZIP FORMAT - 1738K]

The XML Cheat Collection archives are double packed. Inside the downloaded zip/7z archive you will find a large cheat.zip. It's this cheat.zip that should be placed in the same directory as your MAME execute-able, similar to this:
directory.gif

When you run the game just press tab to bring up the menu and you will see a Cheats option. If it do not appear there press F6 and and open it up again it will be there then.

Latest posts