Major League Rugby

Al Bangor

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Brave Lupus
Where would I find Major League Rugby on this board? You know, that league that's in it's second season here in the USA and now in Canada as well. I haven't posted in awhile and forgot which forum it's in. Thank you in advance to whoever answers my question. :)

I was watching Toronto @ Utah today and the MLR Commissioner was interviewed. He announced that the Dallas Griffins will be playing in the MLR in 2021 which will bring the league up to 13 teams. With DC Glory, New England Free Jacks and MLR Atlanta playing next year. It's great to see Major League Rugby continue to expand across the USA and Canada.

Is the league in danger of expanding too quickly? The teams will need to bring in a lot of talent from abroad to fill their rosters. How will they afford it because crowd figures don't seem high nor, I imagine, are TV rights and sponsorship deals. Perhaps relocating teams who are underperforming might be more prudent than expanding too fast, too soon.

I can't find a link online but in today's Sunday Independent, it was reported that the IRFU pocketed €250000 for entering the provinces in the Cara Cup alongside New England Free Jacks. It was also suggested they made overtures to RUNY about getting involved somehow. If true, it shows the IRFU and SRU (through the Old Glory DC deal) are keeping a keen eye on the upstart competition.

Is the league in danger of expanding too quickly? The teams will need to bring in a lot of talent from abroad to fill their rosters. How will they afford it because crowd figures don't seem high nor, I imagine, are TV rights and sponsorship deals. Perhaps relocating teams who are underperforming might be more prudent than expanding too fast, too soon.

I can't find a link online but in today's Sunday Independent, it was reported that the IRFU pocketed €250000 for entering the provinces in the Cara Cup alongside New England Free Jacks. It was also suggested they made overtures to RUNY about getting involved somehow. If true, it shows the IRFU and SRU (through the Old Glory DC deal) are keeping a keen eye on the upstart competition.

I don't think so. It's a big country with a lot of people. And the popularity of rugby is growing fast over here in the states. The Commissioner also mentioned that they'll start the season a month later than before to cut down on matches played in the snow and that will bring in even more fans. Attendance is up over last season. Things are good so far.

Depends.
I don't think the MLR is billed as some massive compeition, it seems to be generally a steady comp more focused on targeting college student players and local club players with the odd low budget foreign player.

They are only allowed to play 5 non American players per match, and looking at the players who are in the league the big names are
Kane Thompson (New Orleans)
Ben foden (New York)
Paddy Ryan (San diego)
Vainikolo (utah)

That's in the whole league.

It really does seem a very organic comp aiming for the grassroots rather than trying to aim to high too quick.

I think the salary cap is only $450,000 - $500,000 and many prob have some sort of sponsorship benefits, maybe working for a local company as well.

I do also think unions and clubs will be looking at the comp and potentially loan out players to try and help build brands once it becomes established.

Depends.
I don't think the MLR is billed as some massive compeition, it seems to be generally a steady comp more focused on targeting college student players and local club players with the odd low budget foreign player.

They are only allowed to play 5 non American players per match, and looking at the players who are in the league the big names are
Kane Thompson (New Orleans)
Ben foden (New York)
Paddy Ryan (San diego)
Vainikolo (utah)

That's in the whole league.

It really does seem a very organic comp aiming for the grassroots rather than trying to aim to high too quick.

I think the salary cap is only $450,000 - $500,000 and many prob have some sort of sponsorship benefits, maybe working for a local company as well.

I do also think unions and clubs will be looking at the comp and potentially loan out players to try and help build brands once it becomes established.
The disrespect to Cathal Marsh is unbelievable.

ten foreigners are now allowed in match day squads with canadiens not counted in that

i think mlr is fine with how they are expanding... 12 teams is real small for an american national league.

i'd like to see us care more about quality of play than how many americans are in starting line ups... americans want to see high quality products they don't care where the players are from

ten foreigners are now allowed in match day squads with canadiens not counted in that

i think mlr is fine with how they are expanding... 12 teams is real small for an american national league.

i'd like to see us care more about quality of play than how many americans are in starting line ups... americans want to see high quality products they don't care where the players are from
That's what I was clumsily trying to say. Will enough players of a high enough standard from abroad go to MLR while the salaries are relatively low? If the standard isn't high enough, people will switch off.

My uneducated view is that there's possibly scope for another Canadian franchise. Then consolidate support bases and raise the standards of those teams before looking to grow and possibly spread the talent level too thin.

That's what I was clumsily trying to say. Will enough players of a high enough standard from abroad go to MLR while the salaries are relatively low? If the standard isn't high enough, people will switch off.

My uneducated view is that there's possibly scope for another Canadian franchise. Then consolidate support bases and raise the standards of those teams before looking to grow and possibly spread the talent level too thin.
i think we can get enough guys in their early to mid 20s who just didn't make it in a tier 1 nation but would like to live in the states for a couple years

guys from south africa or the pacific islands could come and stay here just for the money and the lifestyle

in terms of expansion canada needs a team on the west coast... there are certain cities in the states that need to have teams for a league to be considered major league. I can imagine MLR feeling pressure to be in Philadelphia, Los Angles, or San Francisco but I hope they continue to be smart.

Austin is probably gonna have to be relocated/fold.

Atlanta will have quite a few players from Life University next year who are a really good college side. They won't have any trouble with being competitive in my view.
I read yesterday that entry to MLR is now $4million as opposed to the $0.5million teams payed to enter in the first season. I'm hoping to see a side in Chicago some day and also Vancouver (very realistic). We can probably expect conferences over time because America is such a vast country, it would be crazy to expect sides like San Diego to have to travel to the east coast 4 or 5 times a season. It would save on the travelling costs that way.
Another thing I read recently was that there may be a Super Rugby game played in a big stadium in Seattle. That would be awesome for Seattle and MLR as a whole. If they were to get a super rugby game then Seattle should have an MLR match in the venue following on, it could be a wonderful way to introduce rugby to Americans in that part of the country.

Chicago would seem to be the most obvious choice for a new team given the success of the November tests there over the years.

Any news on the speculated about LA Coast franchise?

Atlanta will have quite a few players from Life University next year who are a really good college side. They won't have any trouble with being competitive in my view.
I read yesterday that entry to MLR is now $4million as opposed to the $0.5million teams payed to enter in the first season. I'm hoping to see a side in Chicago some day and also Vancouver (very realistic). We can probably expect conferences over time because America is such a vast country, it would be crazy to expect sides like San Diego to have to travel to the east coast 4 or 5 times a season. It would save on the travelling costs that way.
Another thing I read recently was that there may be a Super Rugby game played in a big stadium in Seattle. That would be awesome for Seattle and MLR as a whole. If they were to get a super rugby game then Seattle should have an MLR match in the venue following on, it could be a wonderful way to introduce rugby to Americans in that part of the country.

Nice post dragon. When the MLR first began they had a goal of at least 16 teams, so there's still room for Chicago and Vancouver. ;) I like the MLR because they don't try to be flashy, it's just basic rugby. And fans like me in San Diego have formed a real bond with the Legion. *The college playoff bracket is out and Life is a #1 seed (of course).

https://www.d1arugby.com/news/2019-playoff-bracket-released/?fbclid=IwAR0fCS0iLzY81nPSab7T6XZ0fAtfcL0a95-e6jjkwbpkJNzy3U9ubRM0g8k

Last edited:
Alright. San Diego just beat the defending MLR champs Seattle Seawolves twice this season and that was the Seawolves first loss at home, ever. :cool: We are Legion!

55949098_721616191574674_6598035425627996160_n.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings from beautiful San Diego, California. :cool:

San Diego beat Austin in that MLR match, 45-15.

Last edited:
Major League Rugby changes planned for 2020. Things are going very well. :)

Latest posts