• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jonah Lomu Returns to Videogames in Rugby Challenge

Mario

Academy Player
Just announced this morning -

JONAH LOMU RETURNS TO VIDEOGAMES IN RUGBY CHALLENGE

All Blacks Rugby legend lends name, likeness, and expertise to videogame

SYDNEY, Australia â€" December 6, 2010 â€" Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) announced today that rugby legend Jonah Lomu will appear in the Rugby Challenge console and PC game. The appearance will mark the first time Lomu has appeared in a videogame in over a decade.

“HES is pulling out all the stops to make Rugby Challenge an exciting and memorable experience†said David Robles, Business Development Manager for HES. “Jonah is one of rugby’s greats, and will bring an extra something special to the gameâ€.

In addition to including his name, likeness, and motion in the game, Lomu will also bring his experience and expertise into the development process by working directly with Sidhe, the Wellington based studio behind the game.

“I’m a big fan of videogames and being involved in making Rugby Challenge is a great experience,†said Jonah Lomu.

Rugby Challenge will release for consoles and PC in Q3 2011. More information and ongoing updates about the game can be found at the official website http://www.rugbychallengegame.com

i hated all the other rugby challenge games so i hope this is better,

The appearance will mark the first time Lomu has appeared in a videogame in over a decade.

ay??? lomu was in EA Sports Rugby 2004

Does this really mean that there are some classic players in the game? Rugby 08 had a lot of challenges but you played with the same players as the current squads. Would be awesome if they have classic matches to play with the players from that era like EA Sports did with the FIFA World Cup 1998 game (not the Road to the World Cup one, the tournament game itself)

Does this really mean that there are some classic players in the game? Rugby 08 had a lot of challenges but you played with the same players as the current squads. Would be awesome if they have classic matches to play with the players from that era like EA Sports did with the FIFA World Cup 1998 game (not the Road to the World Cup one, the tournament game itself)

No other announcements on classic teams or players at this stage. But information about the game will keep coming in over the weeks and months.

I assume Tim Rodber and George Greegan will also be included just so it's possible to tackle him.

No other announcements on classic teams or players at this stage. But information about the game will keep coming in over the weeks and months.

Well, I won't jump ahead of myself, but this feature is something that is a huge draw for me. NOTHING I love more than having a squad with the best new and old players, but that's just me. In the previous rugby games, especially EA Rugby 08, my New Zealand team hasn't changed from last year from having Collins, Hayman, Mehrtens, Cullen, Lomu, Umaga, Randell, Thorne, Marshall, Kelleher, Masoe in it. Including these players on some level was great about rugby 08. I was actually getting a little bit gutted that I probably wouldn't play with these names anymore after the two new games were released, but if Lomu is in Rugby Challenge, It's a big draw for me.

Thanks for the information Mario. I know there are many people who love to have the most up to date squads, which I also enjoy, but classic players are equally important for me, if not slightly more so. Won't jump to any further conclusions on who else may be in the game, but I'm delighted to hear Lomu will feature on some level.

Thanks for the information Mario. I know there are many people who love to have the most up to date squads, which I also enjoy, but classic players are equally important for me, if not slightly more so. Won't jump to any further conclusions on who else may be in the game, but I'm delighted to hear Lomu will feature on some level.

If they extended it to classic club sides (e.g. Previous Super 12/14 and HEC winners) alongside the classic international teams, that would prove popular. Won't happen though.

If they extended it to classic club sides (e.g. Previous Super 12/14 and HEC winners) alongside the classic international teams, that would prove popular. Won't happen though.

It would be nice to play some popular and historical tournaments/finals

1987, 1995 and 1999 World Cup finals for instance. Or like you said, the first ever Super12 final.

waw waw waw.... SIDHE are really making some huge announcements lately. It would be totally Ace if this goes in the same kinda direction as NBA 2K11 - ala Jordan classic matches. Looks like theres gonna be some serious competition this year with rugby games. I can't wait to see how HB "react" to this (not that they need to react - just mean in general what they have to offer). can't wait till some serious screenshots etc get posted, this is huge news (and I'm welsh :p)

TVH11 Thats exactly what I was thinking, NBA 2k11 played on the popularity of Jordan and it seems Sidhe have learnt from that.

I think this game has already announced a load of great features for a first game in a series.

Well done Mario and the guys at sidhe, you have got the right idea.

Can you also get Christian Cullen in the game aswell haha

does anyone know why they havent announced what platforms it will be on yet? can the actually not know yet or is it building anticapation? i've been waiting for a rugby (union) game on the wii for years

does anyone know why they havent announced what platforms it will be on yet?

No, but there is a reason why. We hope to announce platforms in the first few months of next year.

In the mean time, there is some strong speculation and reporting that the game is coming to PS3, 360, and PC.

For now, the closest you have to a rugby union ***le on Wii is Rugby League 3 for Wii which we released earlier this year. If you pick that up, I'd recommend playing with a Gamecube controller.

Latest posts