• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan to win the 2014 IRB Pacific Nations Cup

Japanese_Hero

Academy Player
Country Flag
Japan
Club or Nation
Japan
with what i've seen from the japanese this year and i think i speak behave of everyone that Japan have impressed us all with what we have done this year and how much we've improved.

i've started to see the potential that japan has a chance to win the IRB Pacific Nations cup

the position on the irb rankings going into the 2013 IRB Pacific Nations cup were as followed:

11. Tonga
13. Fiji
14. Canada
15. Japan
16. USA

the position on the irb rankings going into the 2014 IRB Pacific Nations cup were as followed:

11. Fiji
12. Tonga
14. Japan
15. Canada
18. USA

what do you think and who do you think is going to win the IRB Pacific Nations cup

it will be close but i think Fiji is going to win it but it should be very close

i think fiji will win but japan will give it a very good shot im sure off it. i'm predicting japan will finish 2nd but it will be very close

Think Japan will struggle with all the travel to North America, and I think Canada are really due for a win against them. I like Fiji and Samoa to win a championship game against whoever comes out of the other pool on top. Still could be an odd scenario where Canada beats Japan and loses to the States and everyone beats on another and it comes down to point differential.

well the stats say

Japan vs Canada Played:22 Japan Won:12 Canada Won: 8 Drawn: 2

Japan vs USA Played:20 Japan Won:7 USA Won:12 Drawn:1

so yeah very close scores last year it was:

Japan 16 - 13 Canada

Japan 38 - 20 USA

it will be close

I do think it will be a challenge for Canada as always, the Blossoms seem to have our number though I think the record is a little deceiving as Japan have really targetted us at the last two RWC's(much more so than we did them by resting key players and throwing away other games) and Canada will be playing Japan at home which is vastly different to playing Japan away where most of the recent games have taken place.

We actually haven't hosted you guys since 2000 with all matches since either in Japan or at RWC's, but the results record in Canada is 5 wins for us and 1 for Japan. With neutral site at two draws. Lot's of these results are a little dated but it's clear the travelling side is at a massive disadvantage due to time zone difference, fixture congestion etc.

Are Samoa playing this year? Or are they away with the South Africans again? If they are not, Fiji. If they are then I can see the mighty Manu Samoa getting a third ***le.

Are Samoa playing this year? Or are they away with the South Africans again? If they are not, Fiji. If they are then I can see the mighty Manu Samoa getting a third ***le.

im sure they're not playing this year but i not 100% sure

I do think it will be a challenge for Canada as always, the Blossoms seem to have our number though I think the record is a little deceiving as Japan have really targetted us at the last two RWC's(much more so than we did them by resting key players and throwing away other games) and Canada will be playing Japan at home which is vastly different to playing Japan away where most of the recent games have taken place.

We actually haven't hosted you guys since 2000 with all matches since either in Japan or at RWC's, but the results record in Canada is 5 wins for us and 1 for Japan. With neutral site at two draws. Lot's of these results are a little dated but it's clear the travelling side is at a massive disadvantage due to time zone difference, fixture congestion etc.

well the only thing i will say is then lets wait and see what happens

Yes they have returned the format seems to be two pools of three....with a championship game possibly held in Europe of all places in November.

Pool "A"

Canada
Japan
United States

Pool "B"

Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

@ yt1993, agreed and also I think player availability will play a huge part, Canada sent an extremely depleted lineup out to Japan last year, while the Blossoms also had to rotate the squad due to the poor scheduling of last year's edition.

Yes they have returned the format seems to be two pools of three....with a championship game possibly held in Europe of all places in November.

Pool "A"

Canada
Japan
United States

Pool "B"

Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

@ yt1993, agreed and also I think player availability will play a huge part, Canada sent an extremely depleted lineup out to Japan last year, while the Blossoms also had to rotate the squad due to the poor scheduling of last year's edition.

yeah actually i realized when japan played Gloucester this year in the autumn tests we lost 40 - 5 and when i seen the team that played in the match it was a poor decision lots off players that were uncapped played and Yoshikazu Fujita playing full-back (he never played fullback) so i say if we put up a strong squad to play the canadian we'll have a big chance to win but to be fair if its the usual selection like our line-up to play gloucester then we definitely wouldn't win

yeah actually i realized when japan played Gloucester this year in the autumn tests we lost 40 - 5 and when i seen the team that played in the match it was a poor decision lots off players that were uncapped played and Yoshikazu Fujita playing full-back (he never played fullback) so i say if we put up a strong squad to play the canadian we'll have a big chance to win but to be fair if its the usual selection like our line-up to play gloucester then we definitely wouldn't win

yeah it was an awful selection

Pool "A"

Canada
Japan
United States

Pool "B"

Fiji
Tonga
Samoa

The iRB seem to do things in halves, or maybe thirds. Great to get PNC started and get Canada and US involved but to play a final in Europe!? And its always the same problem, will they have full squads? And surly the pool phase defeats the purpose of having cross boarder competition as well.
I have similar question marks over the games that are played in North Wales.

Canada to improve and the USA to be more competitive .

I hope they play the final right after the pool games.

Two seperate pools leaves open the possibilty of expanding the competition down the line. PNG are lobbying to be included at this level

Latest posts