• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is The Rugby Championship match schedule rigged?

stevethered

Academy Player
The TRC used to have nations play each other Home and Away each season.

In 2022, this was changed to mini-tours of 2 tests each. For example, in 2022, NZL played 2 tests at home with ARG, 2 away to SAF, and 1 at home, 1 away to AUS. AUS played 2 at home to SAF, 2 away to ARG, 1 at home, 1 away to NZL. SAF played 2 tests at home with NZL, 2 away to AUS, and 1 at home, 1 away to ARG. ARG played 2 at home to AUS, 2 away to NZL, 1 at home, 1 away to SAF.

In 2024, the same schedule is being played. In a fair system, home and away matches would rotate. SAF plays NZL at home in 2022, away in 2024, etc.

It is a similar problem in World Cup years. Each nation plays only 3 matches, so some teams have 2 home games, and the others only 1. In 2015, AUS and SAF played at home twice. In 2019, ARG and AUS played at home twice. In 2023, AUS and SAF played at home twice.

Why is TRC set up so that SAF and AUS play as many of their toughest games as possible at home, while the opposite is true for NZL and ARG?

they'll swap next year tho prob
I hope so. I figured after the 2015 RWC, they would swap it so ARG and NZL had 2 home games in 2019, but it never happened. It still wasn't fixed in 2023.

I argued with some Aussies in 2015, when they complained that NZL and ARG played the first match one day before AUS played SAF. So NZL had an extra day of rest before the second matches the next weekend. They shut up when I offered them an extra day's rest before the 2016 tests, as long as all their home matches were played away instead.

they'll swap next year tho prob
And of course, the whole TRC schedule gets revamped in 2026. The World Rugby Nations Championship (WRNC) starts then. North vs South. Six Nations versus TRC (plus Japan and Fiji).

I presume the South will switch to a. similar schedule as the 6N. Each team plays the other 5 once. Some teams have 3 home games, the others only 2. And they do alternate each year. No favouritism.

As the WRNC is only played in even years, I do wonder if Japan and Fiji will be included in the TRC in odd years.

I notice NZL are playing JAP and FIJ in 2024, as well as the normal TRC games. Maybe this is preparation.

Normally the All Blacks play 13 or 14 games a year. With WRNC, there will be 6 games versus NH teams, 5 versus SH teams. Maybe an extra Bledisloe Cup game. Maybe an extra game if NZL reach the WRNC final. Is there room for extra games against Tier 2 nations?

Latest posts