• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB Player of the year 2012

You must have had your blinkers on.

Not at all. McCaw's performance in Dunedin was one of the greatest individual performances I have ever seen live. Louw was solid. Rugby365 (a South African based site I think?) gave McCaw an 8.5/10, and Louw a 4/10 (I think that is a bit harsh on Louw, but it supports my point ;) ). One particular member of the forum even said the following about Louw's performance in the Dunedin test:

I think FLouw did alright but he's a poor man's Brussow
:D

Last edited:
Not at all. McCaw's performance in Dunedin was one of the greatest individual performances I have ever seen live. Louw was solid. Rugby365 (a South African based site I think?) gave McCaw an 8.5/10, and Louw a 4/10 (I think that is a bit harsh on Louw, but it supports my point ;) ).

Rugby365.com tipping McCaw over Louw actually proves my point LOL :lol:

Rugby365.com tipping McCaw over Louw actually proves my point LOL :lol:

Just a few more game reviews/ratings in case you are interested:
http://www.espnscrum.com/the-rugby-championship/rugby/story/169844.html
http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/v-south-africa-player-ratings-5085264
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10834591
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/7687705/How-the-All-Blacks-rated-against-the-Springboks

A couple are from NZ sites, but they certainly suggest McCaw was Man of the Match, and a class above someone who was 'alright, but a poor man's Brussow' ;)

Last edited:
The award is a joke now to be honest. It lost its way in 2009 when they changed the format and Fourie Du Preez and Brian O'Driscoll were overlooked. Shame, as it was pretty accurate up until that point.

For what it's worth, in 2012 I think Rodrigo Roncero has been the best test player.

The award is a joke now to be honest. It lost its way in 2009 when they changed the format and Fourie Du Preez and Brian O'Driscoll were overlooked. Shame, as it was pretty accurate up until that point.

For what it's worth, in 2012 I think Rodrigo Roncero has been the best test player.

Or when Shane Williams won it over McCaw in 2008. People have to accept that their choice of best player isn't always who they think it should be. Dusatoir didn't have a better year than Jerome Kaino in my opinion, doesn't mean I have to have a tantrum and declare an award meaningless. As it so happens, I think McCaw had been great this Rugby Championship, better than any other player, and I wanted him moved to blindside after the series against Ireland...

Shane Williams was unbelievable in 2008, he deserved the award. McCaw would not have been a bad choice either that year.

However, in 2009 the choice was obviously between O'Driscoll or Du Preez but they changed the format and conspired to give it to McCaw who had been outplayed by Brussow all year. Your point about Kaino only reinforces how the stock of the award has fallen. It used to mean something from 01-08 as the choices were surprisingly accurate but it's a devalued joke now and is no longer given to the best player of the year (which is what it's supposed to be).

Yep I think it's a bit meh now...

I can't think of any player who's been consistently top notch this season, to be honest. McCaw's been good, especially lately, but he some major issues with his hands etc. in the June series. Likewise Read missed a few matches, but phenomenal in the first match and a half of the season.

I say give it to Cruden for his 23 minutes against Ireland ;)

Just a few more game reviews/ratings in case you are interested:
http://www.espnscrum.com/the-rugby-championship/rugby/story/169844.html
http://tvnz.co.nz/all-blacks/v-south-africa-player-ratings-5085264
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10834591
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/7687705/How-the-All-Blacks-rated-against-the-Springboks

A couple are from NZ sites, but they certainly suggest McCaw was Man of the Match, and a class above someone who was 'alright, but a poor man's Brussow' ;)

+1 just for your tenacity, Darwin. Most would let me somewhat tongue-in-cheek comments slide after a while but not you LOL.

After the weekend and Flo building on the solid game in NZ I'd have him just over Brussow ATM. If he could build on last week against NZ in the coming game I'd certainly have him over Brussow (who is on the up again, at least in CC rugby) though the form loose forward in CC at the moment is Marnus Schoeman so watch out for him in SR next year and maybe even EoYT this year as a bolter if Meyer is picking form players.

He'll be playing for the Cheetahs (Griquas forming part of their franchize) if he isn't snapped up by another union soon.

Shocking I know :eek:

I too assumed the Wikipedia article was correct - I only found it was wrong when I went looking for a list of past winners on the official IRB site.
It's correct now... It must have been some journalist, they always follow this forum very closely.

Shane Williams was unbelievable in 2008, he deserved the award. McCaw would not have been a bad choice either that year.

However, in 2009 the choice was obviously between O'Driscoll or Du Preez but they changed the format and conspired to give it to McCaw who had been outplayed by Brussow all year. Your point about Kaino only reinforces how the stock of the award has fallen. It used to mean something from 01-08 as the choices were surprisingly accurate but it's a devalued joke now and is no longer given to the best player of the year (which is what it's supposed to be).

I agree totally with this.

The IRB messed up in 2009, and it's not been that good ever since.

In 2011, Dusautoir got the award just based on his performance in the final. And Piri Weepu was nominated for it ahead of the likes of Sam Warburton who had a great 2011. It should have gone to Jerome Kaino.

They also need to stop awarding it during the November tests, they should wait for after them imo. In Cricket also they give the annual awards in September, Football however gets it right tbh.

McCaw should win this year, shame for him that his joke win in 2009 is making people not want to give it to him again.

Remember that the award in any given year is based on the NORTHERN HEMISPHERE SEASON, so its judged over the period from, and including, the Autumn Internationals of the previous year to the end of the 3N/RC of that year. McCaw's performances in 2008 were simply sublime, and he thoroughly deserved player of the year in 2009. 2012 will include the 2011 RWC in the judging.

McCaw has been absolutely barnstorming this year. If there has been a better openside flanker playing the game at international level this season, I haven't seen one; and I have seen ALL of the international rugby on show during the judging period except in the world cup, where I have at least seen all the games in involving New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, France and Italy. McCaw has carried the ball much more strongly and with greater purpose than I have ever seen him do before, he has been simply outstanding.

According to smartcooky, you only have to judge based upon international matches, in which Habana has scored 7 tries from 8 matches.

So what!? Its not just about tries. The award isn't for most tries in a calendar year. If it were, then over the same period;

Corey Jane - 8 tries in 14 matches
Israel Dagg - 9 tries in 14 matches

Last edited:
When you consider that the award in any given year is judged over the period from, and including, the Autumn Internationals of the previous year to the end of the 3N/RC of that year. McCaw's performances in 2008 were simply sublime, and he thoroughly deserved player of the year in 2009. 2012 will include the 2011 RWC in the judging.

McCaw has been absolutely barnstorming this year. If there has been a better openside flanker playing the game at international level this season, I haven't seen one; and I have seen ALL of the international rugby on show during the judging period except in the world cup, where I have at least seen all the games in involving New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, France and Italy. McCaw has carried the ball much more strongly and with greater purpose than I have ever seen him do before, he has been simply outstanding.

Are you certain this includes the WC? I remember last year something about more points being awarded for eacg of the quarter finals, semi finals and the final. With the final having the most points hence why Dusautoir won it.

Last edited:
+1 just for your tenacity, Darwin. Most would let me somewhat tongue-in-cheek comments slide after a while but not you LOL.

After the weekend and Flo building on the solid game in NZ I'd have him just over Brussow ATM. If he could build on last week against NZ in the coming game I'd certainly have him over Brussow (who is on the up again, at least in CC rugby) though the form loose forward in CC at the moment is Marnus Schoeman so watch out for him in SR next year and maybe even EoYT this year as a bolter if Meyer is picking form players.

He'll be playing for the Cheetahs (Griquas forming part of their franchize) if he isn't snapped up by another union soon.

Don't worry - I'm not too serious. The only time I am serious is when I start pulling out stats :)

I'm very much in the same boat as you regards Louw. I rate him very highly, and think bringing him in from Bath was a very astute move by Meyer. In many ways he is a similar sort of player to McCaw - he does his job well at the breakdown, but is also a strong ball runner, and a very good option in the lineout. I still think Brussow should be involved in the Boks setup, but after the last Aussie match I'm not sure whether he should necessarily replace Louw in the starting lineup.

I actually agree with others who mention Habana as a player of the year option so far. I thought he was very solid during the England series, good during the opening half of the Rugby Championship, and superb over the later half. I was incredibly impressed with him in Dunedin (watching him live you also get to appreciate his immense work-rate off the ball), and he was probably even more impressive against Australia.

Are you certain this includes the WC? I remember last year something about more points being awarded for eacg of the quarter finals, semi finals and the final. With the final habing the most points hence why Dusautoir won it.

You are right - it doesn't include the RWC. The selection period is from January to the final test match of the year.

Last edited:
Remember that the award in any given year is based on the NORTHERN HEMISPHERE SEASON, so its judged over the period from, and including, the Autumn Internationals of the previous year to the end of the 3N/RC of that year. McCaw's performances in 2008 were simply sublime, and he thoroughly deserved player of the year in 2009. 2012 will include the 2011 RWC in the judging.

No he didn't. That should have gone to either O'Driscoll or du Preez.

Are you certain this includes the WC? I remember last year something about more points being awarded for eacg of the quarter finals, semi finals and the final. With the final habing the most points hence why Dusautoir won it.

I'm pretty sure you're right big ginger 8, the World Cup was obviously the reason Dusautoir won the award last year. It shouldn't and doesn't come into account for this year's award.

I don't know if that was true at some point in time, but it's not true now in any case: http://www.irb.com/history/awards/panel/index.html

(credits to Darwin for correcting me when I made the same mistake as you, a few pages back in this thread)

No he didn't. That should have gone to either O'Driscoll or du Preez.

In your opinion.

[TEXTAREA]The IRB Player of the Year is selected by the IRB Awards independent panel of judges, comprising former internationals with over 500 Test caps between them.

John Eales (Convenor)
Will Greenwood
Gavin Hastings
Raphaël Ibanez
Francois Pienaar
Agustin Pichot
Scott Quinnell
Tana Umaga,
Paul Wallace

they watched over 63 hours of action from 49 matches, awarding points to the three players they thought stood out in each match[/TEXTAREA]

Its not a subjective opinion. The players accumulate points on a match-by-match basis. Most points wins!

I would not bet against McCaw winning it a few more times before he's done.

Is it that time of the year again already?

Please, don't give it to McCaw, we've seen enough of it.

He'll at least get a nomination, and will be favourite to win it.

I want Warburton to win, but I doubt he will.