I recommend any rugby fan watch this video

Every Time Ref

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
A fascinating insight into Rupeni Caucaunibuca, for me personally one of my favourite all-time sportsmen, and into Pacific Island rugby in general - and an important message about player welfare.

Looks like it's the first of a series, I'm definitely interested to watch more.

Completely forgot about this, was really looking forward to it when I saw Leo mention it on twitter

Will watch tomorrow

That was great, thank you for the link. :) My friend went to Fiji and she said they're the nicest people she's ever met. And she's been all around the World.

Last edited:
Really great watch,
You read "remote village" but never really think what that means - 15km walk from the main road is pretty crazy! And to go from there to a fan favourite the world over

Really great watch, thanks for posting. Will definitely check out the rest of the series. Eye-opening.

I
Really great watch,
You read "remote village" but never really think what that means - 15km walk from the main road is pretty crazy! And to go from there to a fan favourite the world over
i know, mental isn't it. The fact that he didn't speak English was eye opening to me as well. And the cultural shock of becoming a professional - it wouldn't cross my mind how psychologically difficult it would be to switch into a mindset where you have to go to work, you have to be certain places at certain times in other people's timetables, if that is so far removed from the mindset you grew up with

Very powerful stuff indeed.

Saw Dan on House of Rugby the other day and he was talking about the competition for the young Pacific Islanders from League and Grid Iron... it would be a real shame if union lost the affinity we have with the islands.

I know that World Rugby gives a lot of money but it's quite clearly being given to the wrong people to correctly manage it. Really hoping Dan's movement will be the start of something that will benefit the future (& past Island greats) in the way that they have and hopefully will continue to benefit our game.

Thanks to Global Rapid Rugby there's now a professional outlet for Fijian and other Pacific island players who don't want to relocate to other countries to play. I've watched Fiji Latui play Samoa Kagifa twice and they've won both in close matches. There's 5 sides in this test season with expansion to 8 planned for next year.

Last edited:
Thanks to Global Rapid Rugby there's now a professional outlet for Fijian and other Pacific island players who don't want to relocate to other countries to play. I've watched Fiji Latui play Samoa Kagifa twice and they've won both in close matches. There's 5 sides in this test season with expansion to 8 planned for next year.
I'm really hoping for a western Sydney team to be added to that comp.

Bit speculative, but i think the long term future of Rugby in the region probably lies in this competition.

Latest posts