• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hurricanes v Waratahs

M

Maccaweeny

Hurricanes- Jane; Guildford, Ellison, Nonu, Gear; Kirkpatrick, Mathewson; So'oialo, Waldrom, Levave, Eaton, Evans, Tialata, Coles, Schwalger. Res: Robinson, Thrush/A Naikatini, Ellison, Lowe, Kawau, Smith, Ripia.

Waratahs- Norton-Knight; Turner, Horne, Tahu, Tuqiri; Beale, Burgess; Fava, Waugh, Mowen, Caldwell, Mumm, Baxter, Polota-Nau, Robinson. Res: Freier, Tilse, Palmer, Thomson, Palu, Sheehan, Carter, Halangahu.

The Hurricanes going into this as clear favourites, the NSW pack being written off as depleted and lacking experience against a lethal 'canes outfit.

It'll be interesting how the Hurricanes go without Piri Weepu. I'm really quite intrigued as to why they decided to start with Kirkpatrick ahead of Ripia. He's a good young player though but he hasn't played very much Super 14.
The Waratahs depth is really being tested now and that Hurricanes bench is immense despite the absence of a replacement halfback (I'm guessing if something happened, Weepu would move to 9 and Ripia would come on).
The Hurricanes should get home here though by about 6.

Beautiful try. Norton-Knight under the bar after a great break by Horne.

7-0 after Beale converts.

Halftime in Wellington. The Waratahs lead the Hurricanes 19-5. The Hurricanes have looked unorganised and shaken at times in what's been a pretty scrappy first half. The Waratahs have taken their chances to score and have been pretty lucky with some calls from the referee. It's looking like it'll take alot for the Hurricanes to get back into this one.

Waratahs 19 (Sam Norton-Knight, Lote Tuqiri, Lachie Turner tries; Kurtley Beale 2 conversions).

Hurricanes 5 (Daniel Kirkpatrick try).

The Hurricanes have every right to be livid after some absolutely dirty decisions from Dickinson.

But everyone in Canberra knows Dickinson is a dirty ref. This is a guy who would referee his own son's games to make sure they won.

I feel sorry for any team from New Zealand or South Africa who have to play an Australian team while he blows the whistle.

Can't fault the Tahs for the most part though... especially in attack.

However, there should have been at least one yellow card.

How did Tahu play at inside? It looks a bit rough on Carter getting dropped for him after Carter played every game at inside centre last year for the waratahs.

Tahu was pretty quiet. The backline barely got any ball all game and every time they did, the ball went straight to Horne and he was away. Dickinson had a shocker, but it went both ways. We were denied any right to compete for the ball at times, but Mumm probably should have gone to the bin for his cynical ploy in slowing the ball down.

Beale controlled the game very well and had some beautiful touches in setting up some of the tries. Rob Horne is playing out of his skin and should definitely challenge for a Wallabies bench spot at this rate. Mumm and Polota-Nau also had damn good games and in the last 2 seasons, Baxter has begun driving through opposition rucks to disrupt the ball with great effect. Good on him for adding to his game like that.

Oh, and Norton-Knight is currently the second best fullback in Australia.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Feb 14 2009, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Hurricanes have every right to be livid after some absolutely dirty decisions from Dickinson.

But everyone in Canberra knows Dickinson is a dirty ref. This is a guy who would referee his own son's games to make sure they won.

I feel sorry for any team from New Zealand or South Africa who have to play an Australian team while he blows the whistle.

Can't fault the Tahs for the most part though... especially in attack.

However, there should have been at least one yellow card.[/b]

HaHa. Well the penalty/ free kick count was in favour of the Hurricanes 20-6, so I don't think the Hurricanes were that badly done by. What were the dirty decisions that went in favour of the Waratahs?

As for the yellow card, So'oialo was extremely lucky to stay on the field after deliberetely studding Waugh in the face. I find that conduct to be far more deserved of punishment than lieing on the ball in the ruck.

Waratahs defence was superb. Hurricanes had their 70% possession, but spent the whole time going sideways. While the Waratah's had limited chances in attack, their backline looked extraordinary with ball in hand.

The key to the game for me was that the Waratahs backline looked more dangerous with their 30% of possession than the Hurricanes with their 70%.

I watched the game live it was a shocker for us Hurricanes supporters but watching the Waratahs play like that no matter what team you support just has to be applauded. The Tahs were on top of our scrum and their backline play was quite impressive where as the Hurricanes looked to be going sideways and at times messed around with the ball too much in the rucks so the Tahs would counter ruck and turn the ball over.

Dan Kirkpatrick was a big let down for the Hurricanes his territorial kicking was crap and his place kicking wasn't that much better 1/5 I think it ended up being with 1 missed pretty much infront of the sticks and three of them coming off the crossbars WTF!!. Nonu's too one dimensional and his defence is still lacking.

Still a enjoyable game to watch thou the result didn't quite swing in my favour :( but congratulations Waratahs on a good win yous deserve it :bravo: :bravo:

Willie Ripia should have been subbed on for Kirkpatrick when Colin Cooper made the first round of changes in the second half. The backline didn't have a clue and problems like this usually start with the halves.

Ripia is at least proven at Super 14 level, and while he might lack x-factor sometimes he knows how to lead a team around the park at least. I don't know if there's a slight Wellington bias going on here or if I'm just being paranoid (especially as Cooper used to coach Taranaki).

:euh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Feb 15 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Willie Ripia should have been subbed on for Kirkpatrick when Colin Cooper made the first round of changes in the second half. The backline didn't have a clue and problems like this usually start with the halves.

Ripia is at least proven at Super 14 level, and while he might lack x-factor sometimes he knows how to lead a team around the park at least. I don't know if there's a slight Wellington bias going on here or if I'm just being paranoid (especially as Cooper used to coach Taranaki).

:euh:[/b]
I think Willie Ripia should start because he's already had a season under his belt and Kirkpatricks kicking game is crap and even in the Air New Zealand Cup he didn't really do much just play 3 games and injure himself.

I thought that Fa'atonu Fili might of got in over Kirkpatrick he had a descent Air New Zealand Cup. Well we can just hope they sort it out next week against the Highlanders. Hopefully we get to see a bit more of David Smith because he's awesome in the Air New Zealand Cup but still hasn't really quite fired as a Super Rugby player.

The Canes were never in this game, they badly lacked direction and just kept going from left to right then left again without going forward. The Tahs defense really held up and it looks as good as ever and now they seemed to have found their attack flair. Horne looked awesome if Mortlock stays in the 12 then Horne could well be pushing for the 13 spot. SNK controlled the game nicely form the back and Beale had his moments in attack still looks a bit shakey in defense but hes getting better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Feb 15 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Willie Ripia should start because he's already had a season under his belt and Kirkpatricks kicking game is crap and even in the Air New Zealand Cup he didn't really do much just play 3 games and injure himself.

I thought that Fa'atonu Fili might of got in over Kirkpatrick he had a descent Air New Zealand Cup. Well we can just hope they sort it out next week against the Highlanders. Hopefully we get to see a bit more of David Smith because he's awesome in the Air New Zealand Cup but still hasn't really quite fired as a Super Rugby player.[/b]

I agree with you 100%. I think Ripia also brings better kicking game tactically and Weepu should have been playing as halfback anyway. To become a winning team we need to settle on a halves combination because it's so important to the backline.

Kirkpatick may of had a better ANC than Ripia, but the Taranaki backline was the best I've seen it since Brock James was playing for us in 2004. With a backline like the Hurricanes' you just need to give the ball and some proper tactics and let them go.

I don't know where you'd put David Smith in though. Zac Guilford was the Hurricanes' best player last night and I can't see him replacing Hosea Gear purely because Gear's an All Black now. But I'd rather see Smith in for Gear than Guilford.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Feb 15 2009, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Feb 15 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that Fa'atonu Fili might of got in over Kirkpatrick he had a descent Air New Zealand Cup. Well we can just hope they sort it out next week against the Highlanders. Hopefully we get to see a bit more of David Smith because he's awesome in the Air New Zealand Cup but still hasn't really quite fired as a Super Rugby player.[/b]

I agree with you 100%. I think Ripia also brings better kicking game tactically and Weepu should have been playing as halfback anyway. To become a winning team we need to settle on a halves combination because it's so important to the backline.

Kirkpatick may of had a better ANC than Ripia, but the Taranaki backline was the best I've seen it since Brock James was playing for us in 2004. With a backline like the Hurricanes' you just need to give the ball and some proper tactics and let them go.

I don't know where you'd put David Smith in though. Zac Guilford was the Hurricanes' best player last night and I can't see him replacing Hosea Gear purely because Gear's an All Black now. But I'd rather see Smith in for Gear than Guilford.
[/b][/quote]

I don't know what Colin Cooper is a weirdo. He's not particularly a bad coach but he does some random things like not including ripia, kicking out gopperth in the last minute of a season, benching Nonu etc. I have to go with David Smith over Zac, the later doesn't really do it for me and David seems to have a lot of potential that is just waiting to be untapped.

Latest posts