• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hooper One Week Ban

goodNumber10

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Hooper got a one week ban for the Punch on Sanchez, he gets to serve that sitting out the Shute Shield games and thus is free to play against the All Blacks.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I reckon it's BS that he gets to sit it out in the Shute Shield......no punishment at all.

Don't really care, would rather play them at full strength at Sydney to see what we're made of.

It's a joke. 1 week seems fairly lenient to start with, but does anyone else suspect the 1 days extra delay was simply put in place to allow enough time for Manly to name him as a reserve (the only named reserve in the squad).

Jokeshop decision, even if the 1 week ban is fair, he should still be missing a game he would have actually played.

A few thoughts.

Looking at the replay slowed down - it didn't look like the shot made significant contact. It really looked like Sanchez dived. So on one hand I'm sympathetic.

It is interesting though. Hooper was clearly being obstructed by Sanchez. One could argue swinging at a player who is obstructing - but who isn't expecting it is exactly what Andrew Hore did against Wales (obviously with more serious results), and so maybe the ban should have been heavier. For me it really comes down to how much the incident was milked from Sanchez. Just judging from the slowed down and zoomed in replay I saw - I'm skeptical it made a great deal of contact - in which case I think Sanchez probably also should be sanctioned for obstructing and then simulating - the latter of which I really wouldn't want to enter rugby.

I think it catches Sanchez on the side of the head, which is where he grabs on the ground. Watch in full speed, you can see the effect of the impact more clearly than in slow-mo.

hahahaha!

I1M3sWM.jpg

It's a joke. 1 week seems fairly lenient to start with, but does anyone else suspect the 1 days extra delay was simply put in place to allow enough time for Manly to name him as a reserve (the only named reserve in the squad).

Jokeshop decision, even if the 1 week ban is fair, he should still be missing a game he would have actually played.

This.

Beyond that sure, Sanchez infringed and probably even milked it but there was clear intent from Hooper. Even without the cherry on top of him getting to play the week hereafter 1 week seems very sympathetic and inconsistent.

That's absurd. I don't want to open up a can of worms but if someone did that in the NH they'd get at least a 3 week ban.

It didn't connect by the sounds of it. Seems like the punishment is for intent more than anything.

Hooper got a one week ban for the Punch on Sanchez, he gets to serve that sitting out the Shute Shield games and thus is free to play against the All Blacks.

Thoughts?

The real question is how did Sanchez escape punishment for what was really two professional fouls. He got an open had slap on the back of his head and frankly deserved a lot worse.

- - - Updated - - -

That's absurd. I don't want to open up a can of worms but if someone did that in the NH they'd get at least a 3 week ban.

Did what? break free of being pulled back without the ball in a try scoring situation by smaking the cheating moron off you with an open hand? Well, in the NRL the bloke holding you back would have got the ban. Not to open up a can of worms..

Did what? break free of being pulled back without the ball in a try scoring situation by smaking the cheating moron off you with an open hand? Well, in the NRL the bloke holding you back would have got the ban. Not to open up a can of worms..

I've only seen the one angle of it, but it looked like Hooper cleanly connected with a fist to the head? I'd be happy to be proved wrong if someone can show me a different angle.

I've only seen the one angle of it, but it looked like Hooper cleanly connected with a fist to the head? I'd be happy to be proved wrong if someone can show me a different angle.
For some reason they won't release it, but Fairfax had said in the lead up to the hearing that the ARU were in possession of another angle that showed both Sanchez aggressively impeding and pulling back the arm (immediate yellow card offense) AND Hooper having an open hand only barely connecting with the back and sliding to the neck. The rest is pure South American soccer inspired diving.

The thing is, when players are hanging onto opposition players in rucks, they often physcially bash the opposition players arms off with stiff forearms. In essence this is little different, only the provocation was significantly more severe.

Probably doesn't really exist then...or at least to the extent they say it does.
Well Fairfax claimed to have seen it. Perhaps now the decision has been made they'll put it up tomorrow. Either way I reckon it's a bit of a joke nothing happens to Sanchez - cynical play like that out to cop some punishment too. The guy is actively doing his best to bring soccer diving to rugby.

Sanchez was diving, but if it doesn't cross the red card threshold, all that can be done is watch him next time.

Delaying the hearing, allowing Hooper to be named in a squad for a game he'd never have realistically played in, is crazy.

Regardless of how bad it looked, this is a bit of a leap from the refereeing in Super Rugby where we saw hypersensitive scrutiny for the most mild indiscretion. That week happened within the context of an international match. Therefore it should be served out by missing an international match. Not sitting out for Manly against Randwick. Sorry, but that's just a crock. I'm guessing he wouldn't have started in the 15 over Pocock anyway, but still.

Not having a go at Australia or this one example. I've had an issue with this for a few years now.

Regardless of how bad it looked, this is a bit of a leap from the refereeing in Super Rugby where we saw hypersensitive scrutiny for the most mild indiscretion. That week happened within the context of an international match. Therefore it should be served out by missing an international match. Not sitting out for Manly against Randwick. Sorry, but that's just a crock. I'm guessing he wouldn't have started in the 15 over Pocock anyway, but still.

Not having a go at Australia or this one example. I've had an issue with this for a few years now.

Yeah, it's a stupid and inconsistent system and it's been broken forever.

Latest posts