George North

ThebigARena

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Scarlets
George North form for me has been dropping since he left for Northampton and since them concussion injuries. But this World Cup has really highlighted for me just how much he goes missing in games. What has happened to the bulldozing player he was from a few years ago because afterall he is supposed to be our most dangerous player.

The stats do not make for great viewing either when comparing him to his opposite winger Josh Adams.

North.
Tries> 1
Metres> 178
Passes> 10
Clean breaks >7

Adams.
Tries>7
Metres>390
Passes>23
Clean breaks>11

Adams Monsters him in every area.

I fear that unless George recaptures some old form his days may been numbered for a starting place especially with Steff performing well for the Scarlets.

Overreaction?

George North form for me has been dropping since he left for Northampton and since them concussion injuries. But this World Cup has really highlighted for me just how much he goes missing in games. What has happened to the bulldozing player he was from a few years ago because afterall he is supposed to be our most dangerous player.

The stats do not make for great viewing either when comparing him to his opposite winger Josh Adams.

North.
Tries> 1
Metres> 178
Passes> 10
Clean breaks >7

Adams.
Tries>7
Metres>390
Passes>23
Clean breaks>11

I fear that unless George recaptures some old form his days may been numbered for a starting place especially with Steff performing well for the Scarlets.

Overreaction?

I think he knows he's under a bit of pressure. Those stats are also highlight how often Adams was coming in from the wing to be involved, which North hasn't been doing as much of lately. He had a good run for the Ospreys when he arrived back there but seemed to peter off again. I think with the change of coach it will mean that he has to find some form again with the Ospreys come the european games.

Think there's a number of players breathing down his neck. Thinking mainly of Owen Lane now who, despite being in a dire Cardiff team, looks very good and Steff Evans if he continues to recover some form before the 6N.

North.
Tries> 1
Metres> 178
Passes> 10
Clean breaks >7

Adams.
Tries>7
Metres>390
Passes>23
Clean breaks>11

Overreaction?
Sadly, I think you may be right, he just doesn't seem to have any dynamism or consistent appetite of late and with Lane now in the reckoning, as well as McNicol now available for selection (Pivac loves the guy and while he may well be more of a 15, that would mean Liam to 14).

So yeah, as it currently stands things aren't looking particularly great for George within the Welsh set up moving forward.

Sadly, I think you may be right, he just doesn't seem to have any dynamism or consistent appetite of late and with Lane now in the reckoning, as well as McNicol now available for selection (Pivac loves the guy and while he may well be more of a 15, that would mean Liam to 14).

So yeah, as it currently stands things aren't looking particularly great for George within the Welsh set up moving forward.

Would be a massive call that, as LW has been outstanding at full back. Will he be eligible before the Barbarian's game? Would be interesting to see which combos Pivac goes for in that game, assuming most first team players won't be available so soon after the WC.

Would be a massive call that, as LW has been outstanding at full back. Will he be eligible before the Barbarian's game? Would be interesting to see which combos Pivac goes for in that game, assuming most first team players won't be available so soon after the WC.
Yeah I'm not saying it should happen but with some of the praise I've heard a Pivac devote to Johnny Mac I wouldn't be gobsmackingly surprised by it... and yeah think he's available now.

He may well give Halaholo his debut in the Baa Baas game too.

I think the concussions really knocked North for six. I'm just wondering if he has become a bit contact shy since he does tend to kick a lot of ball these day. He is still only 27 which seems crazy as hes been around forever it seems, he really should be hitting his peak years now.

Mcnichol will only strengthen the Welsh set up. I rate him highly but not quite enough to dislodge Liam at 15 at the moment. Something tells me he will be a big game player as well .

I think the concussions really knocked North for six. I'm just wondering if he has become a bit contact shy since he does tend to kick a lot of ball these day. He is still only 27 which seems crazy as hes been around forever it seems, he really should be hitting his peak years now.

This is probably it. Can't imagine you feel the same way about the sport after being knocked out a few times. Basic survival instinct and a desire to avoid a repeat of such things means that a player probably subconsciously looks to avoid things they previously didn't, if not consciously avoiding. I don't think North will get his spark back.

This 100% and he picked the wrong club to join in Saints IMO, he should of joined Bath, Quins or Wasps or preferably stayed in Wales and took a mega payday to France in his early 30's...

This is probably it. Can't imagine you feel the same way about the sport after being knocked out a few times. Basic survival instinct and a desire to avoid a repeat of such things means that a player probably subconsciously looks to avoid things they previously didn't, if not consciously avoiding. I don't think North will get his spark back.
This 100% and he picked the wrong club to join in Saints IMO, he should of joined Bath, Quins or Wasps or preferably stayed in Wales and took a mega payday to France in his early 30's...
Yep it's become obvious to me North has become shy to the contact area as mentioned. Maybe it's subconscious to him but when I see him take the ball these days he's looking to either kick or pass out of danger the old North would be looking to smash through the tackler regardless. Mentality is huge in rugby and North to me has lost that edge it's a shame because he's still only 27 and a monster of a winger.

He looks like a shadow of the player he used to be. Understand why Gatland persisted with him through the world cup, he was solid and an experienced head at this level but the unstoppable force that he used to be seems to be gone, which is a pity. Well worth Wales' time looking at new wingers I'd say.

@ThebigARena I'm interested in your opinion on what happened to.. ALEX CUTHBERT!!!!!

Bear with me, at one point, admittedly in the distant past he was a player, Lions test winger no less, Wales International with what seemed like a long and illustrious career ahead of him and then it sort of fell off a cliff to the point where his name is ridiculed...

Interested to get the opinion's of the Welsh poster's on him...

@ThebigARena I'm interested in your opinion on what happened to.. ALEX CUTHBERT!!!!!

Bear with me, at one point, admittedly in the distant past he was a player, Lions test winger no less, Wales International with what seemed like a long and illustrious career ahead of him and then it sort of fell off a cliff to the point where his name is ridiculed...

Interested to get the opinion's of the Welsh poster's on him...

Where do we start?

Burst on the scene most thought he was the second coming then just put in average performances although still giving good club performances. I thinks he's just an anomaly, maybe Welsh Wingers peak in their late teens early 20s but unless I knew the guy personally I can't give a reason for the huge drop off from Alex at least North has the concussion to go off but Cuthbert ?? Who knows!

Probably on the wrong end of too many close games with the SH sides but then again so where most of the team now.. probably more of a mentality thing with Cuthbert again as he as the physical attributes, maybe blues fans could add some more in depth knowledge..

Also I notice there's a few Welsh fans on here not calling out North for what he has done this tournament which is score once and underperform.I understand the Ospreys fans have loyalties but lets be honest North was a huge disappointment this tournament. Let's not dress things up but Steff Evans would of been far more involved .

Probably on the wrong end of too many close games with the SH sides but then again so where most of the team now.. probably more of a mentality thing with Cuthbert again as he as the physical attributes, maybe blues fans could add some more in depth knowledge..
Cheers for responding.. I asked in this thread because I thought North played some really good stuff with Cuthbert on the other wing..

Cheers for responding.. I asked in this thread because I thought North played some really good stuff with Cuthbert on the other wing..

They were monster wingers too . I think as I said Cuthbert lacks the mentality , North had the mentality but had it knocked out of him and never regained it.

Also on a side note I'd like to know how Jonah Holmes is doing for Tigers in the Prem . I never get to know how hes developiing as I barely keep up.with the pro 14)± I've always been impressed with his effort in a Welsh Shirt.

Injuries and concussions have taken a toll on him sadly, he seems to lack that explosiveness both pace and strength these days. Unless form improves I can't seem him playing too much anymore, there's far too many games where he is anonymous compared to ones he makes an impact. As for Cuthbert he suffered a similar fate to Preistland. While always a bit suspect defensively he was such a danger with the ball it made up for it, however he kept being played while out of form. This knocked his confidence, which got more fans onto his back only to make his confidence worse and therefor his form.

Injuries and concussions have taken a toll on him sadly, he seems to lack that explosiveness both pace and strength these days. Unless form improves I can't seem him playing too much anymore, there's far too many games where he is anonymous compared to ones he makes an impact. As for Cuthbert he suffered a similar fate to Preistland. While always a bit suspect defensively he was such a danger with the ball it made up for it, however he kept being played while out of form. This knocked his confidence, which got more fans onto his back only to make his confidence worse and therefor his form.
Let's be honest he was good early on and then awful for Wales and should of been dropped earlier. Gatland for all his achievements is a coach who maybe is a little too loyal for his own good, I really do feel this Welsh team could of moved on a little quicker with the younger talent we have in waiting. But that's not to diminish what Gatland has achieved.

What I do notice is the lack of Welsh enthusiasm behind Pivac . Whether it's because he's ex Scarlets, and the Ospreys,Blues and Dragons fans can't bring themselves to support a new beggining under his tenure ship.

Latest posts