• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fox Sports fantasy Super Rugby 2013

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
So I took the liberity of creating a TRF head-to-head league named "TRF".

The league code is 60-3305 if you want to join in on the fun and having a look towards finalizing your team selections for the coming competition is a handy way of whiling away the time if the Heineken Cup and 6 Nations action doesn't peak your interest.

My user name over there is stormer2010 as well.

So join up, list your user name here (even if not diferent from your TRF user name) and share your thoughts. Let the big talk begin!

I'm very tempted to join, but I haven't done this fantasy leagues before so I know I won't win. Do you have to manage your team weekly??

I'm very tempted to join, but I haven't done this fantasy leagues before so I know I won't win. Do you have to manage your team weekly??

This particular one is pretty hands-on, yeah. Weekly management is quite necessary. You have a bench of 8 players that could come into play to replace players not playing in any particular week but that is not optimal use of the resources at your disposal. Still its a long season and one or two weeks not at the top of your game might not hurt you particularly if you are up against a usually low scoring player for that week because remember you play against 1 different person every week and might get 4 log points by winning while someone scoring more might not for any particular week. Case in point is I ended up having top score in the traditional sense last year but didn't get as many log points and got beaten out in 1 particular week and ended up around 6th in the head-to-head where I'd have been 1st in a traditional league set-up.

The start of this season will also be quite interesting as there are only 4 teams playing in week 1 (Force, Brumbies, Rebels and Reds) and you only get 6 transfers towards week 2 which is more than the usual 3 (or 4 when there are 3 teams on the bye) but not all that many everything considered.

So you'll have a lot of people either having a lot of players from those teams in their roster (at least on their benches for some time) and then also a ton of managers will probably opt to make use of their 'wild card' transfer window to make mass changes which you can use once in the season. Then again some people might just opt to underperform in week 1 while looking towards future match weeks to set themselves up for a potentially better long game.

Yeah I'll be keen to check it out. Will look into it in the weekend.

Good work setting this up stormer2010. I will get my team sorted out in due course...

Good work setting this up stormer2010. I will get my team sorted out in due course...

I just couldn't wait a minute longer LOL. Looking forward to challenge you once again or probably I should rather say looking forward to challenging you for once!

Does anyone know if Fox Sports will still add players or otherwise how can one contact them? Just had a look and 2 players I was interested in weren't listed; Jaco Taute for the Stormers and Raymond Rhule for the Cheetahs. The latter would a sure pick for my bench as I assume he'd be very cheap to start off with.

Love this ****. Gaming with sports, it fills my particular niche like nothing else. Fantasy rugby is the only reason I watched every single SR game last year.
Last year I was a pleb. This year you're all going down :D.

Does anyone know if Fox Sports will still add players or otherwise how can one contact them? Just had a look and 2 players I was interested in weren't listed; Jaco Taute for the Stormers and Raymond Rhule for the Cheetahs. The latter would a sure pick for my bench as I assume he'd be very cheap to start off with.

They always seem to add players - though not always immediately. With any luck these two should be added before the start of the season (as they are no exactly unknown players!).

Thanks Stormer2010 ... just remember folks win, lose, or draw, the important thing is ... to beat Darwin :)

... oh, by the way ... a belated happy new year :)

Thanks Stormer2010 ... just remember folks win, lose, or draw, the important thing is ... to beat Darwin :)

Dreams are free ;)

Happy new year to you too.

That's because the South African teams haven't been finalised yet. the final squads are still to be announced. Rhule didn't play for the Cheetahs in last year's Super Rugby campaign and Taute was with the Lions. Just give it time. there's no need to pick your team yet, there are still warm up games coming up and guys could get injured...

That's because the South African teams haven't been finalised yet. the final squads are still to be announced. Rhule didn't play for the Cheetahs in last year's Super Rugby campaign and Taute was with the Lions. Just give it time. there's no need to pick your team yet, there are still warm up games coming up and guys could get injured...

On the contrary there is a DIRE need as I am going out of my mind with unbearable anticipation! Luckily I am taking a bit of a 2nd holiday to kill another week.

I've already got what I think is a good squad for week 1 with a plan on how to get rid of all the excess Aussie players looking toward week 2 with a back-up selection for each player. Yes, I am bored. Not that I don't have projects to attend to but... it's still too early in the year.

Thanks Stormer2010 ... just remember folks win, lose, or draw, the important thing is ... to beat Darwin

Don't I know it! Best wishes for 2013 to you as well.

Last edited:
Thanks and looking forward to taking the ***le in my 2nd year playing.
Not playing any other fantasy leagues so this gets full attention, no excuses, much like the Stormers for 2013

Darwin, who is this Darwin...:cool:

Joined, hopefully won't make the same mistakes I did last year.

Rather disappointed they changed it so I can't have Goosen, Cruden and Lealiafano on the field at the same time.

Any tips for good cheap rookies?

With Tamati Ellison out there is a chance Jason Emery will get some decent game time for the Highlanders. Very young still (think he's 19) but he was NZRU age grade player of the year and was pretty terrific in a poor NZ team. Certainly worth a bit of a shout. Other than that - Jimmy Tupou and Jordan Taufua are both fairly exceptional loose forwards in their debut season.

With Tamati Ellison out there is a chance Jason Emery will get some decent game time for the Highlanders. Very young still (think he's 19) but he was NZRU age grade player of the year and was pretty terrific in a poor NZ team. Certainly worth a bit of a shout. Other than that - Jimmy Tupou and Jordan Taufua are both fairly exceptional loose forwards in their debut season.

Thanks.

Any tips for good cheap rookies?

I'll share some thoughts on some possibly under priced SA players;

Bulls' Marcel van der Merwe signed from the Cheetahs is a very busy prop and will probably be starting so might be worth his $110K

Jandre Marais and PS du Toit (both Sharks) are both very good young locks with a high work rate which is what you want in fantasy rugby. The question is will they get game time with the more senior Bresler and Van der Merwe being likely to be 1st choice.

Cobus Reinach is worth watching out for as a cheap 9, maybe only on the bench to free up some cash. Showed some promise in Currie Cup action for the Sharks.

Bulls, Cheetahs and Stormers have some good young loosies in Nizaam Carr, Arno Botha, Pieter labuschagne and especially IMO Marnus Shoeman all around the $100K mark. Not sure whether you'd have them ahead of proven fantasy performers (Messam, Pocock and Thomson who has now gone T_T) but if you are strapped for cash.

The whole of the Kings squad is dirt cheap. Not sure how far I'd back any of them to start with though.

In terms of backs watch out for Raymond Rhule from the Cheetahs. he's not listed yet but is a good finisher and will beat some defenders though he probably wont generate much fantasy points in close games as he doesn't have the work rate of a world class wing yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts