• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie Jones furore .......

The5thOfficial

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Wales
Those comments or 'jokes', shown on the news last night were from last July. But they say a lot really. A guy who whimpered and moaned about being abused on public transport recently yet openly mocking the opposition countries or principalities, and the people in them. But of course he was in the safety and security of some kind of clubhouse or whatever when he made those 'jokes'. EJ doesn't need to have his character assassinated here, he's done it himself by the looks of it.

Just for the record - This isn't an England thing, its a EJ thing. And probably this thread will be deleted, but hey ho.

Mocking other nations and boasting about how he turned Japan around isn't great. He'll be under a lot of pressure if Ireland, Wales and Scotland all win this weekend which isn't unthinkable. Could potentially be looking at a fifth place finish depending on points difference.

You can't say it's just an EJ thing.

Those comments were from a Sponsors evening last June. That means that representatives of the English Rugby Football Union would have been there as well.

Why was no action taken by the ERFU at the time?

Probably because they consider the comments accurate.

Sounds more like it's an EJ, ERFU and England Supporters problem to me judging by how this thread is being avoided by some of the more elequent members.

Ohh and me? Proud to be from Wales - Eddie just in case you forgot "it's this little **** place that has got three million people."

(Just noticed that whilst EJ can use that four letter S word it's been censored here)

You can't say it's just an EJ thing.

Those comments were from a Sponsors evening last June. That means that representatives of the English Rugby Football Union would have been there as well.

Why was no action taken by the ERFU at the time?

Probably because they consider the comments accurate.

Sounds more like it's an EJ, ERFU and England Supporters problem to me judging by how this thread is being avoided by some of the more elequent members.

Ohh and me? Proud to be from Wales - Eddie just in case you forgot "it's this little **** place that has got three million people."

(Just noticed that whilst EJ can use that four letter S word it's been censored here)

Yeah, my "isnt an England thing" was intended because I have been accused here of fueling the English Welsh banter issue. I was just making it clear that its not what I was doing. Those remarks from EJ are inexcusable and pretty much epitomizes the 'nasty little man' analogy.

I didn't think of the word racist and yet, on this issue its being widely used on Twitter.

You're right, why hasn't the ERFU acted? Doubt they will now. Maybe they did consider the comments right but the context and tone of how EJ's words were delivered was nasty.

I would have thought the 'more eloquent' members of this forum would take this opportunity to denounce EJ comments to be honest!

Anywayyyyyyyyyy.......

And probably this thread will be deleted, but hey ho.
Genuine discussion is encouraged on this forum,
Name calling and arguing for the sake of arguing is not.
If you have issues with the way this place is run then please PM me to discuss it further.
Don't make back handed swipes at our attempts to keep conversations going and make it a more welcoming environment for everyone.

I think it's making a mountain out of a mole hill. The calls to get him fired are completely ridiculous, I didn't find it funny but it's not really offensive either. I honestly don't understand how people can compare this to when Jones was verbally abused face to face at the train station.

Genuine discussion is encouraged on this forum,
Name calling and arguing for the sake of arguing is not.
If you have issues with the way this place is run then please PM me to discuss it further.
Don't make back handed swipes at our attempts to keep conversations going and make it a more welcoming environment for everyone.

Hey, Olyy, with the greatest respect, I would PM you but a public response is required. This was not a back handed swipe. You deleted the entirety of a thread in which some very valid points were made on all sides. There most definitely was some name calling, not on my part though. And now that you have deleted all of that and the Eddie Jones issue is reignited for something completely different, my 'it will probably be deleted' comment was completed valid. You inviting a PM is a great way to keep yourself in the shade whilst at the same time making new members or people exploring forums think I have done something wrong. Hence no PM. But I don't have anything else to say on this publicly. You are welcome to PM me though.

For my money EJs comments were stupid and they make him look like a ******** but that's it.
I don't see why the rfu should come out and condemn him (if it was in a press conference or post match interview or something that's different), and the leap to saying they condone and endorse his comments by not condemning him is crazy.

I think it's making a mountain out of a mole hill. The calls to get him fired are completely ridiculous, I didn't find it funny but it's not really offensive either. I honestly don't understand how people can compare this to when Jones was verbally abused face to face at the train station.

Unfortunately, this is the world we live in. You are not offended, I am not offended but how many are? If Wales and Ireland were located on a sub-continent and white people were in the minority of the population then the anti-racists would be all over this like a rash. Take a look at Twitter this morning! And yeah I felt sorry for EJ that day he inexplicably decided to travel by public transport and received that treatment. It was completely unacceptable as I said at the time. But I wonder if any of those involved were aware of these comments he made in July last year? Maybe they were personal attacks based on his character. I don't know, I can't answer that. But you know, this is building and building.....

but how many are?
Presumably an incredibly vocal but very small minority, As is usually the case in this kind of situation.

100 people all shouting on Twitter looks like a lot when you're scrolling down a screen but in the grand scheme of things it's nothing

Presumably an incredibly vocal but very small minority, As is usually the case in this kind of situation.

100 people all shouting on Twitter looks like a lot when you're scrolling down a screen but in the grand scheme of things it's nothing

Completely agree. But it could be that a snowball effect will follow.....

"I don't see why the rfu should come out and condemn him (if it was in a press conference or post match interview or something that's different), and the leap to saying they condone and endorse his comments by not condemning him is crazy."

EJ in employed buy the ERFU and as such can/will be seen as representing their views and opinions when speaking publicly ( this includes sponsorship promotions)
It was Mitsibushi's parent company that saw fit to make the speech widely available.

In these circumstances you would expect the ERFU to try and distance themselves from the comments. By not doing so they appear to be condoning/agreeing with his opinions and comments

"I don't see why the rfu should come out and condemn him (if it was in a press conference or post match interview or something that's different), and the leap to saying they condone and endorse his comments by not condemning him is crazy."

EJ in employed buy the ERFU and as such can/will be seen as representing their views and opinions when speaking publicly ( this includes sponsorship promotions)
It was Mitsibushi's parent company that saw fit to make the speech widely available.

In these circumstances you would expect the ERFU to try and distance themselves from the comments. By not doing so they appear to be condoning/agreeing with his opinions and comments

I actually agree with you. Several people on Social Media this morning compared this to the JC spitting incident. He wasn't in an official capacity - or a press conference and was in fact being filmed illegally by a guy with a camera phone whilst he was driving. But its a fair bet that JC will lose his job with Sky over it.

It's a story about nothing. People just really like to generate the energy to be offended by something, and then the social media race to victimhood begins. I swear that some people actively search for things to be offended by, to complain about, and then to set up some sort of online petition. Mob rules on the internet.

Now, I am not an Eddie Jones fan. I think he is a passive aggressive quite unpleasant man. I don't rate him as one of the best coaches in the world (he always starts well, then all his teams plateau out by year three and he leaves), and I don't like what he did in South Africa once he got offered the England job.

BUT ...... those drunken idiots hassling him on the train was out of order. These 'racist' comments are nothing. We have people making rape and death threats online, we have jihadi propaganda, we have child abuse. For God's sake, let's get outraged about that, and get some perspective.

I was born in Casnewydd (Newport). I don't know if anyone here is from there, but I agree with Eddie - it is a shitty place in parts

Those comments or 'jokes', shown on the news last night were from last July. But they say a lot really. A guy who whimpered and moaned about being abused on public transport recently yet openly mocking the opposition countries or principalities, and the people in them. But of course he was in the safety and security of some kind of clubhouse or whatever when he made those 'jokes'. EJ doesn't need to have his character assassinated here, he's done it himself by the looks of it.

Just for the record - This isn't an England thing, its a EJ thing. And probably this thread will be deleted, but hey ho.
I utterly fail to see the equivalence you're drawing between physical intimidation and a failed attempt at humour

I utterly fail to see the equivalence you're drawing between physical intimidation and a failed attempt at humour

You're right, there is no equivalence. It was merely a link to another EJ offensive shortcoming, thats all! This time he didn't just target one person, like Patchell in the England Wales match, he targeted the whole of Ireland and the whole of Wales. I suspect if he kept his comments to rugby, this thread woiuldn't exist!

Latest posts