• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Drew Mitchell confirms two-year Waratahs deal

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Drew Mitchell has signed with the HSBC Waratahs and Australian Rugby Union for a two-year deal which takes the Wallaby back through to Rugby World Cup 2011.
After signalling his intentions to move to Sydney in April, Mitchell has finalised negotiations with NSW Rugby and the ARU, confirming his move east today.

The deal ensures that Mitchell will start the to be formed Super 15 with the Waratahs.

"I've known what I've been doing for a few months – it's just been a matter of getting all the paperwork in place which I've done now," said Mitchell.

"It's been quite fun coming in and doing a lot of the weights sessions in the Waratahs gym when we're in Wallabies camp knowing I'll be back here a lot more regularly for the next couple of years.

"It's an exciting move for me. The Waratahs obviously have an amazing history but are still chasing that first Super Rugby ***le, and hopefully I can be a part of that happening."

HSBC Waratahs Head Coach Chris Hickey said the acquisition of Mitchell would be one of the most significant off-season transfers in the Super 14.

"Drew is a fantastic footballer who has done the job for the Reds, the Force and the Wallabies whenever he's been asked," said Hickey.

"His versatility between fullback and wing works in well with our style of play and it is clearly a role he revels in for the Wallabies as well.

"We had an eye on Drew as soon as we knew he was off contract and right from the start he indicated he would really enjoy a move to Sydney to be part of the Waratahs set-up. He's spent a lot of time using our facilities with the Wallabies and he's obviously spoken with a lot of our players within the Wallabies program.

"Over the past few months it's just been a matter of dotting the I's and crossing the T's, but it's nice to now officially be able to call Drew a 'Waratah'."

Mitchell captained Australian Schoolboys out of St Patrick's College, Shorncliffe in 2001 and represented Australian Under 21s at the World Championships in 2003.

The following year he captained the Australian Under 21 side and made his Super Rugby debut for the Reds, playing all eleven matches. At just 20 years of age, Mitchell was named later that year in the 2004 Wallabies Spring Tour squad.

He made his Test debut in 2005, going on to be named the Wallaby Rookie of the Year.
Season 2007 was a career-defining year for Mitchell who moved to Perth to take up a contract with the Western Force.

Playing every match in the Super 14 , Mitchell returned to the Wallabies squad where he earned selection for Rugby World Cup 2007. Scoring seven tries in five matches, Mitchell finished the tournament as the second highest tryscorer.

Mitchell passed 50 Super Rugby caps in 2008 and after establishing himself as a member of Robbie Deans' Wallaby squad, scored two tries during the historic Bledisloe Cup Test played in Hong Kong.

In April 2009 Mitchell indicated his intention to move east to take up a position with the Waratahs, but it didn't stop him playing all 13 matches for the Western Force, scoring four tries during the season.

Mitchell has played for Randwick in the Tooheys New Shute Shield throughout 2009, and has announced his intention to join NSW Suburban club Balmain in 2010.

Drew Mitchell

Born: 26 March 1984, Sydney NSW
Position: Fullback/Wing
Physical: 182cm, 95kg
School: St Patrick's College, Shorncliffe QLD
Club: Randwick
State Caps: 75 (QLD 37, WA 38)
State Points: 95 [QLD 50 (10t), WA 45 (9t)
State Debut: 2004 v Highlanders (QLD), 2007 v Highlanders (WA)
Super Rugby Caps: 73 (Reds 35, Force 38)
Super Rugby Points: 90 (Reds 45 (9t), Force 45 (9t)]
Super Rugby Debut: 2004 v Highlanders (Reds), 2007 v Highlanders (Force)
Test Caps: 32
Test Points: 85 [17t]
Test Debut: 2005 v South Africa[/b]
www.rugbyweek.co.za

Good signing by the Waratahs, guess they will try and fill the empty boots of Tuqiri with him...?

Latest posts